The Student Room Group

Queens and UU Social work applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

yeah i think thats right as you start placement in january
Is the DHSS bursary to cover your fees or is it for living expenses. Do we pay fees and if so how. Surely if you are on 2 year graduate programme and had student finance in the past for your previous degree you won't receive it again? Is anyone clear about this?
Original post by anne12345
Is the DHSS bursary to cover your fees or is it for living expenses. Do we pay fees and if so how. Surely if you are on 2 year graduate programme and had student finance in the past for your previous degree you won't receive it again? Is anyone clear about this?

I think it's for living expenses although I'm not too sure. With student finance you are entitled to a loan for fees but can't receive any grants etc because we get the bursary from dhssps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I rang student finance ni, they don't offer a full loan if you have a previous loan. However they do offer a maintenance loan (u have to re pay, not as much as usual loan) and also a fee cover loan (u also repay after u earn enough). In addition I can apply for child care grant. Because of the nature of this course, we need additional help as often students have previous degree debt (I do!)

They are very friendly, give them a call (open 8-8) and they will talk you through what you are entitled to. Try to have your previous loan info handy as they look you up on their system and it took me a few tries at tempering all my old addresses
Original post by anne12345

you def get student finance again as this is my second time getting it and you can defer your fees untill you earn more than 15 grand a year
Ok thanks, think I'll ring tomorrow and find out. Maybe we might get information next Wednesday.
Original post by khutchinson06
you def get student finance again as this is my second time getting it and you can defer your fees untill you earn more than 15 grand a year

and the dhssps is toward travel expenses on placement x
Hey guys! Just looking to see if anyone has made UU belfast met 3yr route their firm choice? I did today, didn't get into queens tho! 😩 still pleased with the offer as its so competitive, especially competing against mature students! Good luck to everyone and hope they got what they wanted!
Original post by Tammyl84
I rang student finance ni, they don't offer a full loan if you have a previous loan. However they do offer a maintenance loan (u have to re pay, not as much as usual loan) and also a fee cover loan (u also repay after u earn enough). In addition I can apply for child care grant. Because of the nature of this course, we need additional help as often students have previous degree debt (I do!)

They are very friendly, give them a call (open 8-8) and they will talk you through what you are entitled to. Try to have your previous loan info handy as they look you up on their system and it took me a few tries at tempering all my old addresses

I rang student finance and they informed me you're entitled to full support and that there are no caps on entitlement?
Just checking guys it's june we've to confirm r places by isn't it?
yeah 4th june
Just confirmed Queens RGR!!! Feels weird, cant believe it!! So that frees up RGR UU, UU Belfast Met, UU SWC and 3yr Queens. Good luck!! :smile:
Original post by Vic1985
Just confirmed Queens RGR!!! Feels weird, cant believe it!! So that frees up RGR UU, UU Belfast Met, UU SWC and 3yr Queens. Good luck!! :smile:

I think I'm going for the 2 year one too Vic. What was your relevant degree in?
I've confirmed the 2 year at Queens too. Can't wait :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sconlon96
Hey guys! Just looking to see if anyone has made UU belfast met 3yr route their firm choice? I did today, didn't get into queens tho! 😩 still pleased with the offer as its so competitive, especially competing against mature students! Good luck to everyone and hope they got what they wanted!

I accepted bmc 3 yr unconditional - rejected uu and queens unconditional. 👍👍
Original post by waveydavey!
I think I'm going for the 2 year one too Vic. What was your relevant degree in?

I have a 2:1 in Law with Government and a Masters in Human Rights Law, and Ive just completed a UU Diploma in Counselling. I am a forever student, lol.
yay! Finally someone has accepted BMC! 😊 do you mind if I ask why you rejected queen? Thought that would of been everyone's first choice!
Are many of u accepting uu two yr route?
Original post by annad93
Hi, I wanted to start a thread for anyone applying for social work this year both the 5,3 and 2 year courses at queens and ulster because i know its a daunting experience and i read a thread last year and they were helping each other out a lot. i hope this helps people, i know from experience how nerve wrecking this process can be

anna how did you get on
Original post by Vic1985
I have a 2:1 in Law with Government and a Masters in Human Rights Law, and Ive just completed a UU Diploma in Counselling. I am a forever student, lol.
that's amazing good for you!! You are well ready for the 2 year then xx

Quick Reply

Latest