The Student Room Group

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao 2/5

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King Leonidas
Seriously, people need to understand how boxing works when it comes to a point decision.

Punches landed> Punches thrown

Similar to football, more shots on target mean nothing against a clinical team that puts away most of their chances.

Yes, but the problem was Manny was one-armed and still gave a close fight. I felt the score-cards were harsh from watching this fight , while Mayweather still beat a one-armed manny convingly, it should have been closer. I had it 8-4 Imho.

Manny's biggest weapon = punches thrown, movement.

He threw half the usual ammount due to a severely torn rotator cuff. A rotator cuff would also affect his left arm, as it can effect combo's.

Watching how Cotto pushed mayweather, and how Manny is a far better puncher than Cotto, it was pretty clear there was something wrong with Manny.

And yes, barcelona can play far better beautiful football than chelsea can, but if chelsea park the bus and score on a counter, they still win.

I know who i'd rather watch
(edited 8 years ago)
We want a rematch!
Original post by xpointx
We want a rematch!

There's probably going to be one. Both may and pac-man are up for it, but you might have to wait a year.
Reply 583
Original post by Tawheed
Yes, but the problem was Manny was one-armed and still gave a close fight. I felt the score-cards were harsh from watching this fight , while Mayweather still beat a one-armed manny convingly, it should have been closer. I had it 8-4 Imho.

Manny's biggest weapon = punches thrown, movement.

He threw half the usual ammount due to a severely torn rotator cuff. A rotator cuff would also affect his left arm, as it can effect combo's.

Watching how Cotto pushed mayweather, and how Manny is a far better puncher than Cotto, it was pretty clear there was something wrong with Manny.

And yes, barcelona can play far better beautiful football than chelsea can, but if chelsea park the bus and score on a counter, they still win.

I know who i'd rather watch

8 rounds to 4 is not really close.

2 of the three judges scored it 8 rounds to 4.

Manny's problem was his inability to cut off the ring/apply constant pressure.

The whole notion of both fighters having a footballing equivalent is ridiculous tbh, both sports are entirely different.
Original post by trrr
8 rounds to 4 is not really close.

2 of the three judges scored it 8 rounds to 4.

Manny's problem was his inability to cut off the ring/apply constant pressure.

The whole notion of both fighters having a footballing equivalent is ridiculous tbh, both sports are entirely different.

I would argue that the major problem is he was essentially fighting with a severely torn rotator cuff.

Cotto, who is an inferior fighter to Manny and was convincingly beaten by manny scored 8-4 or 7-5 to mayweather, and made him bleed big time.

Manny was predicted to push him even further, either knocking him out or narrowly losing on points.
Boxers nowadays are lot shorter
Original post by xpointx
people nowadays are lot shorter

Corrected your post:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ProNoob
Corrected your post:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! My English isn't that bad.
Reply 588
Original post by Tawheed
I would argue that the major problem is he was essentially fighting with a severely torn rotator cuff.

Cotto, who is an inferior fighter to Manny and was convincingly beaten by manny scored 8-4 or 7-5 to mayweather, and made him bleed big time.

Manny was predicted to push him even further, either knocking him out or narrowly losing on points.

Styles make fights

Manny darts in and out, throwing punches from range. He's not a fighter that applies constant pressure. Mayweather is also thought of as being one of the best counter punchers in boxing, a fighter's punch output tends to drop against counter punchers to avoid being open. A good example is the Juan Manuel Marquez fight where Manny also threw less than 600 punches in that fight.

The Mayweather/Cotto fight was even wider on the scorecards than the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight. I do need to watch that fight again but from what I remember Mayweather established a comfortable lead before taking his foot off the gas.
(edited 8 years ago)
flloyd clearly won, end
packman clearly won, end
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by xpointx
Hey! My English isn't that bad.

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trrr
Styles make fights

Manny darts in and out, throwing punches from range. He's not a fighter that applies constant pressure. Mayweather is also thought of as being one of the best counter punchers in boxing, a fighter's punch output tends to drop against counter punchers to avoid being open. A good example is the Juan Manuel Marquez fight where Manny also threw less than 600 punches in that fight.

The Mayweather/Cotto fight was even wider on the scorecards than the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight. I do need to watch that fight again but from what I remember Mayweather established a comfortable lead before taking his foot off the gas.

Here's the cotto fight:

I think the scorecards were pretty harsh imho, and Cotto from watching it really pushed it. Now if that had been Manny who beat cotto comfortably and more brutally, he would definitely if not injured and maybe in prime mode give it a very good fight. This was a younger quicker mayweather btw. There's a reason mayweather avoided fighting a prime manny for many, many years.

m
(edited 8 years ago)
Wouldn't really matter if Pacquiao was fully fit. Mayweather was just stay on the outside and hit him with that right jab. It would be a closer fight, but to say he would of won if it wasn't for his injury is bull.

What is this nonsense about Manny not being in his prime? Was Floyd? Please stop with this failed attempts to justify his loss to a legend.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wade-
Yet Mayweather landed more punches...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still, that doesn't make Mayweather the better fighter. It looks to me that he doesn't really fight. He runs or jumps away from the opponent, and sometimes, hides. He was eluding most of the time. You call that a great fighter? Come on. Besides, his ppunches aren't strong. Manny's punches are stronger -- he damages his opponent more than Mayweather does.

That said, Mayweather, was just good in using the technical rules to his advantage. But that does not make him the better FIGHTER. Unless you do have a different meaning for the word.
Original post by King Leonidas
Seriously, people need to understand how boxing works when it comes to a point decision.

Punches landed> Punches thrown

Similar to football, more shots on target mean nothing against a clinical team that puts away most of their chances.

I know that that's why I used the word, "FIGHTER" instead of boxer.

Mayweather was good in making points, despite having weaker, less damaging punches. Pacquiao was the obvious better, superior FIGHTER.
Original post by theswagmaster
flloyd clearly won, end

In my observation, this was the sentiment by black people. Black people are racists -- they clearly favor one of their own... Very racist in my opinion.
Original post by Rk2k14
Wouldn't really matter if Pacquiao was fully fit. Mayweather was just stay on the outside and hit him with that right jab. It would be a closer fight, but to say he would of won if it wasn't for his injury is bull.

What is this nonsense about Manny not being in his prime? Was Floyd? Please stop with this failed attempts to justify his loss to a legend.

What's bull is when you have a boxer who constantly run and hide instead of fight upfront. Mayweather wasn't only a pretty boring boxer, he's coward!
Original post by Mr.Rojas
I know that that's why I used the word, "FIGHTER" instead of boxer.

Mayweather was good in making points, despite having weaker, less damaging punches. Pacquiao was the obvious better, superior FIGHTER.

Original post by Mr.Rojas
What's bull is when you have a boxer who constantly run and hide instead of fight upfront. Mayweather wasn't only a pretty boring boxer, he's coward!

Mayweather is a very calculating boxer, he seeks to win fights by adapting his style in such a way that is often described as boring and cowardly. It's obvious that his approach to the sport is not entertaining, and it is not improving the overall quality of the entertainment factor, that's why people like you make such absurd comments. Do you really think he is going to change his style of boxing after over a decade of boxing and an unbeaten record that will soon match Marcino? Watch his earlier fights and you can see that he has not always adopted a reserved approach to his fights, quite the opposite actually. You're simply attacking Mayweather on the basis that he hides and runs away from his opponents, which is a completely ignorant view. He has established a way to win fights and make it hard for other opponents to outbox him, stop criticising this and admire it. If you want to watch good 'fighterss then I suggest you become a UFC fan because I don't think boxing is your cup of tea.

Quick Reply

Latest