The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ~amethyst~
Does anyone have any good ways to remember some of the stages for bio5? For example for producing DNA fragments, does anyone have a easy way to remember the order for isolation,insertion,transformation etc?

My teacher got us to put all the different DNA technology methods on an A3 sheet and it's really helped me learn them and distinguish between them because some of the stuff overlaps. I made 5 columns, DNA fingerprinting, genetic screening, in Vivo cloning, in Vitro cloning and DNA sequencing and drew little diagrams, it really does help to remember each step!
Original post by Hudl
Are you sure of this? my teacher was saying you will keep the grade you get the second time round better or worst

Hmm well my teacher said the opposite haha! So I'm not sure who's right !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ruby_1696
Hmm well my teacher said the opposite haha! So I'm not sure who's right !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you referring the resits that you keep the second time grade? My teacher said they keep your best, if they didnt I doubt people would resit exams
Original post by Makashima
Are you referring the resits that you keep the second time grade? My teacher said they keep your best, if they didnt I doubt people would resit exams

Yes I am. And yeah I thought that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lydiaaa1
My teacher got us to put all the different DNA technology methods on an A3 sheet and it's really helped me learn them and distinguish between them because some of the stuff overlaps. I made 5 columns, DNA fingerprinting, genetic screening, in Vivo cloning, in Vitro cloning and DNA sequencing and drew little diagrams, it really does help to remember each step!

oohh i see thanks :smile: do you have a copy of the sheet? Like can you send a pic please?
Reply 185

Im referring to resitting your empa not just an exam. I know you keep the hgihest mark for exams. My teacher is proabbly wrong but this is what hes going around saying. I still choose to resit the bio AS empa even though I got bang on a B first time round
Original post by Hudl
Im referring to resitting your empa not just an exam. I know you keep the hgihest mark for exams. My teacher is proabbly wrong but this is what hes going around saying. I still choose to resit the bio AS empa even though I got bang on a B first time round

How many UMS was your B?
Goodluck though
I also got a B but I didnt resit because I cant do two empa written tasks in one day :L
Reply 187
How many UMS was your B?
Goodluck though
I also got a B but I didnt resit because I cant do two empa written tasks in one day :L

I got 42/43 ums cant remember but I can remember I pretty much scraped the B. I actually thought my written went well last year but I completely bombed the tasks and drew the graph wrong on task 2. How many ums was yours?

& my written test is not on the same day its a day after
Original post by Hudl
I got 42/43 ums cant remember but I can remember I pretty much scraped the B. I actually thought my written went well last year but I completely bombed the tasks and drew the graph wrong on task 2. How many ums was yours?

& my written test is not on the same day its a day after

Ugh I would do AS empa but they decided to put A2 and AS on the same day...Poor my friends :P

Mines was 44UMS for 39/50 marks but I did ISA not Empa...
Doing EMPA because teacher sick of people cheating and increasing boundary, RAGING XD
Idk is that a good UMS, becos 44/60 eh is like 73%
Hi, could anyone send me the biol5 2014 question paper pretty please. Or post a link of it.
Would be very grateful
Original post by thegiggler
Hi, could anyone send me the biol5 2014 question paper pretty please. Or post a link of it.
Would be very grateful

All 2014 exam papers are now available to everyone on the AQA website.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-QP-JUN14.PDF
Original post by Clubba
All 2014 exam papers are now available to everyone on the AQA website.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-QP-JUN14.PDF

You're a star!! Are the mark schemes on it also by any chance
Reply 192
Got an A* in my BIOL5 mock, it was the 2014 paper
Original post by thegiggler
You're a star!! Are the mark schemes on it also by any chance

Yes, http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/biology-2410/past-papers-and-mark-schemes
Original post by Hudl
Got an A* in my BIOL5 mock, it was the 2014 paper

Well done dude! That's great !
Got any tips ? :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys I got over 90% last year, predicted an A* and yet I'm getting like anywhere between a D and a B, got a D in the biol 5 2014 mock, can anybody help me please, or maybe suggest where I'm going wrong? Bit hard but still worth a try!
Reply 196
is there any way to 'predict' what may come up as the essay? I know they like to give outrageously broads questions and I'm probably clutching at straws but yeah..
Reply 197
got my aqa task 3 any advice got no idea what to revise
Can I just remind everyone that discussing specifics about the EMPA and trading information about the EMPA is not allowed on TSR. AQA are actively looking for people cheating and there have been a couple candidates disqualified already! Do not be one of them and get 2 years of hardwork thrown down the drain!

Original post by veroola
got my aqa task 3 any advice got no idea what to revise

Revise the topics you were given 1 week before your task 1 to revise,
How is everyone revising for this? There's seems to be so much content but yet when I do past papers half of the stuff doesn't come up :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending