The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
Ah. I got 41 UMS last year. Found out that was 1 UMS mark off of a B, and 7 UMS off of an A. 😐

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! :O It is very narrow, which is a little ridiculous. I asked for my paper back and to be honest I made loads of stupid mistakes that I would not have made this year, but unfortunately unit 6X is much harder :s-smilie:
Reply 701
Original post by aprocrastinator
Same! :O It is very narrow, which is a little ridiculous. I asked for my paper back and to be honest I made loads of stupid mistakes that I would not have made this year, but unfortunately unit 6X is much harder :s-smilie:

I know what you mean. I got my paper back but decided not to resit as it didn't impact last year's paper. When the deadline for EMPAs (15th May) has passed, it would be interesting to see everyone's responses.

Do you think I'd be allowed to make an unofficial Section B mark scheme so long as it was safely after the 15th?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah I'm sure you did okay! I did mine on Tuesday.

Please don't disclose specifics to people now you've done it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know when the 'ban' on discussing them gets lifted? I really want to discuss all the answers lol
Original post by CD223
Ah. I got 41 UMS last year. Found out that was 1 UMS mark off of a B, and 7 UMS off of an A. ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

a little bit better, not significant but I had forgotten how good they were lol

Can you guys aware/explain me the UMS conversion rate? wrt to the EMPA/ISa's

How many marks out of 50 is usually full UMS? or how many marks for an A
What book do you guys use to study the optional units? I've got Nelson Thornes book which is ok in terms of practicing the main content cause it contains so many questions, but I've had to order another book just to revise the optional units cause this one doesn't contain them.
Reply 705
Original post by l1lvink
Do you know when the 'ban' on discussing them gets lifted? I really want to discuss all the answers lol

Well the actual EMPA runs from 1st May to 15th May so I'm assuming after that it's okay to talk about it. Was thinking of posting my answers in a separate thread to see what others thought but I don't know if or when that's possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 706
Original post by MichuAtDeGeaBa
Can you guys aware/explain me the UMS conversion rate? wrt to the EMPA/ISa's

How many marks out of 50 is usually full UMS? or how many marks for an A

If you google AQA UMS converter you'll be able to look at past boundaries. They change year on year so it's hard to nail down a specific conversion rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 707
What book do you guys use to study the optional units? I've got Nelson Thornes book which is ok in terms of practicing the main content cause it contains so many questions, but I've had to order another book just to revise the optional units cause this one doesn't contain them.

I use the CGP guide, Collins PHYA5/A guide and the Nelson Thornes AQA course notes. This is for Astro.
What unit do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
If you google AQA UMS converter you'll be able to look at past boundaries. They change year on year so it's hard to nail down a specific conversion rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

on average?
Original post by CD223
I use the CGP guide, Collins PHYA5/A guide and the Nelson Thornes AQA course notes. This is for Astro.
What unit do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've ordered this

Edit, not THIS one obviously tthe unit 5 with the optional units, but the same book/brand essentially
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 710
on average?

Without looking at the past boundaries I wouldn't know. It tends to be ~35-38 out of 54/55 for the past couple of years for an A* I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 711
I've ordered this

Edit, not THIS one obviously tthe unit 5 with the optional units, but the same book/brand essentially

Ah they're good. I have one for the phya4 and phya5 exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Without looking at the past boundaries I wouldn't know. It tends to be ~35-38 out of 54/55 for the past couple of years for an A* I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's ridiculously good. I had 17/60 UMS last year i'm hoping it goes up to at least 50/60 UMS this year but now you're convincing me if 38/55 is full UMS it might even go up to 60

These tasks are absolutely stupid no way to prepare for them
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CD223
I know what you mean. I got my paper back but decided not to resit as it didn't impact last year's paper. When the deadline for EMPAs (15th May) has passed, it would be interesting to see everyone's responses.

Do you think I'd be allowed to make an unofficial Section B mark scheme so long as it was safely after the 15th?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully other people found it hard too :/ Yes I think so, but it won't be as successful as we would've forgotten most of it by then!
Hopefully other people found it hard too :/ Yes I think so, but it won't be as successful as we would've forgotten most of it by then!

Most people find it hard but some schools prepare you more then others so there's still an even distribution at the end of the day
Reply 715
That's ridiculously good. I had 17/60 UMS last year i'm hoping it goes up to at least 50/60 UMS this year but now you're convincing me if 38/55 is full UMS it might even go up to 60

These tasks are absolutely stupid no way to prepare for them

Well I didn't say full UMS. I said A* was around 38. Full UMS is probably more like 43/44.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 716

Hmm I suppose. I wrote down my answers after I did it to confer with my friends who also sat it, so I do have my answers but I don't know how much benefit it would have if people have forgotten theirs haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Well I didn't say full UMS. I said A* was around 38. Full UMS is probably more like 43/44.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh ok but that's still good
Reply 718
oh ok but that's still good

It is! Have you done June 2014 PHYA5? I have it as a mock next Tuesday and wondered its difficulty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
It is! Have you done June 2014 PHYA5? I have it as a mock next Tuesday and wondered its difficulty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep was the worst paper I sat in my life but i was not prepared for that exam last yea

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending