The Student Room Group

AS Psychology Edexcel - UNIT 1

Hows it going guys!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ismail786
Hows it going guys!?

Heya, I'm going to put this in the psychology forum for you as you should get more responses there. :smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=211
I'm almost complete with my unit 1 revision! I know everything with good understanding, just trying to perfect everything by tonight so I 100% know I can answer the questions in the exam!
Saturday will be spent learning the practicals and research methods for 2/3 hours, then hopefully I'm ready to get a B grade!

How about you, how are you feeling about the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any predictions for what might come up? My teacher thinks Displacement for the 12 marker:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hannahloulou98
Any predictions for what might come up? My teacher thinks Displacement for the 12 marker:smile:

No chance. There's not nearly enough to talk about. I really hope it's to describe and evaluate a study in detail, just because you can write off all the information without having to think about some weird context they've given you.

What's everyone got for their key issues by the way? We're doing football violence and the reliability of eyewitness testimony.
He said you would have to put every point for it, bit I guess we won't know until Monday. But yeah a study would be easier.
We have eye witness testimony and my lai massacre
We have eye witness testimony and football violence too and I really like them both as key issues haha.
I think Hofling et al/Sherif et al may come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
He said you would have to put every point for it, bit I guess we won't know until Monday. But yeah a study would be easier.
We have eye witness testimony and my lai massacre

Did you do displacement as your theory of forgetting? We did trace decay and cue dep. and I forgot one of them is an optional so if you did displacement in detail ignore my last message :P

Also I agree I think sherif is really going to come up for some question
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jablonski
Also I agree I think sherif is really going to come up for some question

It's annoying though because I struggle with Sherifs study so much! I don't know why, it's just one of my weaknesses haha
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Trolleybaby
It's annoying though because I struggle with Sherifs study so much! I don't know why, it's just one of my weaknesses haha
Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, I think it's because its dead boring. Also why I find gottesman and shields a pain in unit 2.
Anyone have any ways to remember any of the information. Also what do you think the 12 marker will be- I was hoping SIT theory or Agency

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same, I think it's because its dead boring. Also why I find gottesman and shields a pain in unit 2

Yeah, it is definitely one of the most boring ones and where it has three stages, it's just a pain. We didn't study Gottesman and Shields but, we have some really annoying studies in unit 2 that I could definitely do without! Are you feeling confident with both of the units? :smile:

Original post by ellysykes
Anyone have any ways to remember any of the information. Also what do you think the 12 marker will be- I was hoping SIT theory or Agency Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember through answering past questions and just highlighting and stuff. I've resulted in repetition these past few days to make sure I know everything really well. So, I tend to just write out the notes 3/4 times and it tends to stick. But, understanding is definitely the key. I have seen other people say that the social identity theory hasn't come up before/in a while, so it may well come up. Also, they've never used the social key issue before, so that may also come up!
Original post by Trolleybaby
Yeah, it is definitely one of the most boring ones and where it has three stages, it's just a pain. We didn't study Gottesman and Shields but, we have some really annoying studies in unit 2 that I could definitely do without! Are you feeling confident with both of the units? :smile:

In general yeah, but I need an A in both units so I'm still bricking it. You?
In general yeah, but I need an A in both units so I'm still bricking it. You?

I'm confident with unit 1 but, I need at least a B in both units otherwise I have to change colleges and continue the BTEC that I started last year (long story). So, it's just really stressing me out! I'm hoping it will be a relatively easy paper and we'll get the questions that are nice to us!
Reply 14
No chance. There's not nearly enough to talk about. I really hope it's to describe and evaluate a study in detail, just because you can write off all the information without having to think about some weird context they've given you.

What's everyone got for their key issues by the way? We're doing football violence and the reliability of eyewitness testimony.

Abu ghraib for social
The use of the cognitive interview by the police to aid recall For cognitive

Psychodynamic is whether dreams have meanings, plenty to talk about
Bio is about autism being a severe male brain condition
Learning is about advertising or anorexia, haven't chosen yet, both pretty much the same principle though...
I am really struggling with unit 1, I have a really good understanding of all the information an case studies but when i answer past questions the points i make are not in the mark scheme. For example i would say that the 22 boys were observed 24 hours a day through tape recordings, for sherif et al, but that wouldnt get me a mark. I am realy panicked that my notes arent good enough. would the examiner still give me the marks if i make good points that arent in the mark scheme?
Original post by Mattwebberley
I am really struggling with unit 1, I have a really good understanding of all the information an case studies but when i answer past questions the points i make are not in the mark scheme. For example i would say that the 22 boys were observed 24 hours a day through tape recordings, for sherif et al, but that wouldnt get me a mark. I am realy panicked that my notes arent good enough. would the examiner still give me the marks if i make good points that arent in the mark scheme?

The points you make do not necessarily need to be specified in the mark scheme in order to achieve the marks. You need to make relevant points to the study and clearly link to the question. If your notes are from your teachers input then they should be correct and should achieve good marks in the exam. You need to ensure that you read the question properly and answer how they want you to answer. For example, I read that an examiner said when they ask just for the procedure of a study, people still write about the aims/findings/conclusions which isn't what the question sets out to be.

I don't think you should panic that your notes are not good enough but, you can message me if you want any help and I'll try and help as much as I can! I'm not an A student but my teachers gave us booklets for each approach that literally draws information from the mark schemes.. But, like I said as long as your points are relevant to the study, they should be fine!
Reply 17

is displacement a choice study through
Reply 18
Help needed with Sheirf et al
Really hope that the 12 marker is SIT, please let it be SIT :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending