The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EatAndRevise
Society will never be 'fair', that's just something you've got to deal with.

I will never stand for inequality. Attitudes like that are the reason it took so long for women and POC to get the vote.
Original post by battycatlady
I will never stand for inequality. Attitudes like that are the reason it took so long for women and POC to get the vote.

There will always be rich people, and there will always be poor people. That is the 'inequality'. Unless you want a society where everyone is paid the same amount of money, then that will not change. But that is an absurd idea.
Original post by yoshibuster
One thing I don't understand is that people in this country always seem to make a big deal out of those claiming welfare. 'My hard working tax money' ' I don't want my preciously earned taxes going to single mothers', but do these people even pay attention to where ELSE their 'hard earned money' goes? You never hear them speak about it, it's just scroungers this, scrounger that...People like David Icke are right here, surely?

I mean why do people get so up in arms about someone on £50 a week on JSA, but they don't care if a rich, overweight, flabby politician spends some of their hard earned money on stuffing his face with sandwiches and kit kats each week? What about all those illegal wars your tax money paid for?

I have been on benefits before and also worked and it didn't bother me at all that I paid tax that went to help out single moms and those in desperation.

In a country that is still ruled by a monarchy, how can a guy claiming 50 quid a week or 300 quid a week housing benefit and eating tesco value noodles for dinner be your enemy?

The thing is, money is tight for everyone. There are many people paying taxes who are also eating tesco value noodles because their basic wage barely covers living costs, those counting down the time for their next paycheck because they are behind on their rent. If they weren't taxed, they would perhaps afford a little more than their cold dinner.

That's when people start questioning. My mum would have loved a big family, but she only has me and my younger sister, who is 8 years younger than me because that was when they could afford to raise another child. There's a family down the bottom of my road who has 9 children, and the parents has "back problems" so they can't work, yet their back is fine when they are having sex making more children every few years.

I suppose we do care if rich people are wasting their money, but I would argue they are not really taking ours, they are just not spending it in the same way we would. ... If you win the lottery, some people would splurge it all, some invest it, and others give to charity... just because they spend it on flashy cars or whatever, isn't really my business. Where I'm questioning, is money that gets taken from people who are already struggling to make ends meet with a job and given to the unemployed so they don't struggle.

I agree, that yes taxes pay for other things e.g. police, nhs, schools etc but if these kids were not given such a free ride, there would be less crime on the road and schools would be a pleasure to teach in. How many countries in the world where education is seen as a privilege, and students study hard to do well in life? Yet kids in Britain have got it all wrong and very willingly fail and not care about school, have a child at 16 etc etc..it's such a cycle. We need to teach children from a young age that we don't get things for free..but as long as there are such lenient rules on benefits, this won't happen.
because the general population is full of morons who believe everything they read in the tabloid press
Original post by yoshibuster
One thing I don't understand is that people in this country always seem to make a big deal out of those claiming welfare. 'My hard working tax money' ' I don't want my preciously earned taxes going to single mothers', but do these people even pay attention to where ELSE their 'hard earned money' goes? You never hear them speak about it, it's just scroungers this, scrounger that...People like David Icke are right here, surely?

I mean why do people get so up in arms about someone on £50 a week on JSA, but they don't care if a rich, overweight, flabby politician spends some of their hard earned money on stuffing his face with sandwiches and kit kats each week? What about all those illegal wars your tax money paid for?

I have been on benefits before and also worked and it didn't bother me at all that I paid tax that went to help out single moms and those in desperation.

In a country that is still ruled by a monarchy, how can a guy claiming 50 quid a week or 300 quid a week housing benefit and eating tesco value noodles for dinner be your enemy?

There’s no reward without effort;
no wealth without work;
no success without sacrifice
There will always be rich people, and there will always be poor people. That is the 'inequality'. Unless you want a society where everyone is paid the same amount of money, then that will not change. But that is an absurd idea.

This is what happens in Cuba..and there are so few doctors and people in the more challenging professions, just because, it's not worth it.

No, but I want a society where the minimum wage is enough to live off and where people don't end up with serious mental health problems because of benefit cuts.
Original post by gulbenkian02
The fact is, there are people who are BETTER off on benefits than if they were working a minimum wage job. Benefits are too high and people shouldn't have to make the decisions of 'doing the right thing and working but getting less money than they would if they were on benefits' and that's a big issue.

I mean, of course the welfare system is a great system and it does help a lot of people who do need it BUT it needs to be majorly reformed. If there are people who are outright lazy and don't want to hold down a job then they shouldn't be entitled to benefits.

benefits aren't to high not for most people anyways problem is wages aren't goo enough for most working people to live well on it needs to change .
Reply 48
It's totally understandable for people to dislike those on benefit. Why should someone work hard, and have to give a portion of their earnings towards those who do not work.

The only benefit there should be are those for the disabled and are simply unable to do any sort of work, and for pensioners who have been working through their life!
Original post by stargirl63
The thing is, money is tight for everyone. There are many people paying taxes who are also eating tesco value noodles because their basic wage barely covers living costs, those counting down the time for their next paycheck because they are behind on their rent. If they weren't taxed, they would perhaps afford a little more than their cold dinner.

That's when people start questioning. My mum would have loved a big family, but she only has me and my younger sister, who is 8 years younger than me because that was when they could afford to raise another child. There's a family down the bottom of my road who has 9 children, and the parents has "back problems" so they can't work, yet their back is fine when they are having sex making more children every few years.

I suppose we do care if rich people are wasting their money, but I would argue they are not really taking ours, they are just not spending it in the same way we would. ... If you win the lottery, some people would splurge it all, some invest it, and others give to charity... just because they spend it on flashy cars or whatever, isn't really my business. Where I'm questioning, is money that gets taken from people who are already struggling to make ends meet with a job and given to the unemployed so they don't struggle.

I agree, that yes taxes pay for other things e.g. police, nhs, schools etc but if these kids were not given such a free ride, there would be less crime on the road and schools would be a pleasure to teach in. How many countries in the world where education is seen as a privilege, and students study hard to do well in life? Yet kids in Britain have got it all wrong and very willingly fail and not care about school, have a child at 16 etc etc..it's such a cycle. We need to teach children from a young age that we don't get things for free..but as long as there are such lenient rules on benefits, this won't happen.

Yeah, and it isn't any of your business how many children someone decides to have or at what age they decide to have them. Do you suggest we limit how many children someone can conceive depending on how much they earn? Your comments are ridiculous and nothing but anecdotal hearsay which, as other have pointed out, is the only argument people use to back up their views on those claiming benefits.

Regardless, these "benefit scroungers" people talk about are a minority. Of course you will always get people who refuse to work and would rather live a life on benefits, but for most people this is not the case. Especially considering how soul-destroying claiming JSA is and how little money you are given. Not only that but the majority of people who claim benefits are actually in work but their wages are so low that they need to claim additional benefits just to get by.

I can't wait for five more years of austerity and inequality!
No, but I want a society where the minimum wage is enough to live off and where people don't end up with serious mental health problems because of benefit cuts.

What do you propose that the minimum wage should be increased to?

We can't just increase benefits, it should pay to work.
Original post by wizardtop
I agree that some individuals deserve benefits because they are unable to work due to the fact their particular medical condition impacts heavy upon their life
Being disabled myself maybe I am slightly biased against people who say you are not genuinely disabled and therefore don't deserve benefits and other stupid comments like that
I was born disabled and will die disabled so never know anything different

In your case benefit are acceptable. You've been born with a saddened disadvantage in life - sorry if that sounds offensive.

Benefits should be there for people in your instance.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
Yeah, and it isn't any of your business how many children someone decides to have or at what age they decide to have them. Do you suggest we limit how many children someone can conceive depending on how much they earn? Your comments are ridiculous and nothing but anecdotal hearsay which, as other have pointed out, is the only argument people use to back up their views on those claiming benefits.

Regardless, these "benefit scroungers" people talk about are a minority. Of course you will always get people who refuse to work and would rather live a life on benefits, but for most people this is not the case. Especially considering how soul-destroying claiming JSA is and how little money you are given. Not only that but the majority of people who claim benefits are actually in work but their wages are so low that they need to claim additional benefits just to get by.

I can't wait for five more years of austerity and inequality!

The thing is, if they are claiming a bigger house, or more benefits, because of their army of children, then yes it does become my business because if this is my money I am contributing to the system, surely I should have an opinion on where it goes. I would suggest capping the child benefit you get to 2 children, anymore than 2, then that's your decision to make based on if you financially can. A number of people would love to have a bigger family, but choose not to because they cannot afford it, why should this be different just because you're on benefits? Birth control is free.

I agree these are the minority of people, however like I said before, the difficulty is where there are people barely making it themselves, many people are working hard, difficult jobs and are on the breadline themselves.

If benefits stopped tomorrow, it would be interesting to see how many people could miraculously be able to work.

If everyone was able to pull their weight, more people would contribute to the system and less tax would be paid per individual, because EVERYONE is helping, and our police, schools and nhs would get better.

I'm not saying to say no to tax, I'm just saying that if you want a world that's fair, then it needs to be fair for everyone, and not just those who are vulnerable.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
Yeah, and it isn't any of your business how many children someone decides to have or at what age they decide to have them.

Actually, it is our business. A mother and father both have a responsibility to look after their children. If they know that they cannot afford to have children, they should not try for a baby. The tax payer shouldn't have to pay for a family with an abundance for children, just because the parents weren't thinking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by adoremorrissey
In your case benefit are acceptable. You've been born with a saddened disadvantage in life - sorry if that sounds offensive.

Benefits should be there for people in your instance.

This is so true. If someone cannot work due to a disability, they deserve benefits.

Breaks my heart that it is more than mental health problems its actual people taking their lives,DWP had to apologise to peoples families and admit their mistakes, the 40 investigated deaths could worryingly increase
Original post by lankyryan
This was not hearsay, or an opinion, and it was not 1, or 2, this was a good 20-25% of the town. I dont doubt that nationally this is not the case, but you vote for things that are relevant to you, your own experiences, and this was mine, an attitude of "Whats the point in going to work to get money when you can claim it off the government anyway", and this was when I was in School, where many people wanted to just claim money off the government than go out and work.
What town? you are seriously claiming 25% of your town were on benefits and not working? how can you even claim the 25% don't want to work and were scroungers? did you poll them?

This kind of thinking is exactly what I am talking about, people have no regard for the majority or wider society. They are happy to make millions of hard working people poorer because they hated the people at their school or area. Madness. That's like me voting to arrest every white person in the UK because the 25% of crimes in my area is committed by white people. Madness.

Original post by A5ko
Not everyone on benefits deserves or is entitled to them.
And? the fact are the vast majority are working and that is the truth. Unless we stopped poor people having children we will impoverish the next generation in terms of education and health if we decreased benefits. We should not **** over the working poor just to punish the useless but very few. It is simple cost vs benefits analysis. The gain we get from lifting people out of poverty and inequality far outweigh the costs to society of the very few scrounger. We need to change their behaviour with out ****ing it up for their kids and every one else.
(edited 8 years ago)
Like many issues, attitudes have been conditioned and exaggerated(has as the no. of illegitimate benifit cheats) pretty much on cue from the media, by far the most pernicious influence in this country, more than politicians.
It is also a good foil for peoples other true frustrations which are projected onto this issue, very much in the same role that immigrants unfortunately play at times.
Reply 58
Not many hate people who are on benefits - they just 'hate' people who are perfectly capable of working and changing their circumstances, but instead, choose to rely on benefits.
I think people are fine with benefits but maybe people feel it's too generous for some people
They probably also feel benefits people are lazy, the ones who don't work and are just being passive about getting a job because they have that to fall back on

Latest

Trending

Trending