The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by democracyforum
There’s no reward without effort;
no wealth without work;
no success without sacrifice

Unless you're rich
Original post by wb25
It's totally understandable for people to dislike those on benefit. Why should someone work hard, and have to give a portion of their earnings towards those who do not work.

The only benefit there should be are those for the disabled and are simply unable to do any sort of work, and for pensioners who have been working through their life!

That would be true if there were actually enough jobs for everyone, but there aren't, never have been and never can be.

Leave the jobless to starve in the name of the economy/so a rich person can have a skiing holiday, you'll say. But then the people who die take demand out of the economy and more jobs are lost.
Original post by EatAndRevise
Actually, it is our business. A mother and father both have a responsibility to look after their children. If they know that they cannot afford to have children, they should not try for a baby. The tax payer shouldn't have to pay for a family with an abundance for children, just because the parents weren't thinking.

Thing is no worki g person can afford children even the upper middle class only have one or two. To avoid a demographic crisis as well as redistribute some wealth on the sly we give out child benefit - to all classes of society.
Reply 63
Original post by scrotgrot
That would be true if there were actually enough jobs for everyone, but there aren't, never have been and never can be.

Leave the jobless to starve in the name of the economy/so a rich person can have a skiing holiday, you'll say. But then the people who die take demand out of the economy and more jobs are lost.

It's completely unnatural for a human being to be able to survive doing nothing. If you are unemployed, and you worked hard day and night to find a job, you will find on sooner than later. If you are able to get by and survive doing nothing all day, you are certainly less inclined to work hard to find a job. I have been laid off twice in the past year, and have left my workplace once, and I was not unemployed for more than two weeks, and I only work part time! You cannot be unemployed for over a year because 'There are no jobs available' that is not a valid excuse.

I'm not suggesting we simply, let the unemployed starve until they find a job. But cut any financial benefit. Give them food vouchers to eat and health care as standard. It is not enjoyable to know that you have no money coming in to spend on anything, that is the motivation required for anyone unemployed to find a job!
Reply 64
Unless you're rich

This is the attitude that separates those who are wealthy in life and those who aren't. The huge majority of the wealthy population did not generate their wealth from sitting down complaining, they got up, work exceptionally hard and took huge risks.
Thing is no worki g person can afford children

Well I will agree that there are many working-class people who cannot afford to have children, but surely if someone knows that they do not have enough money to bring up a child, they should not have a child?

even the upper middle class only have one or two.

That's not entirely true.
Original post by adoremorrissey
One has been raised with the idea that, when living in Britain we cannot let the state give us hand-outs. We must provide for ourselves. Make our own wage - make a living and support our family.

This is why I am totally against the idea of 'benefits'

unless, there are circumstances, where people are unable to work due to disabilities or having children and the case of working becomes a burden on their life.

What do you want instead? Unemployed people to starve to death on the streets?

If you ever become unemployed, your view on that will change very quickly.
Reply 67
Original post by wb25
It's totally understandable for people to dislike those on benefit. Why should someone work hard, and have to give a portion of their earnings towards those who do not work.

The only benefit there should be are those for the disabled and are simply unable to do any sort of work, and for pensioners who have been working through their life!

And what about us with children who are not school age and would be earning less due to childcare costs ???
Everything is not black and white .
What about those who are like me trying to go back to study whilst mothering our children (single may I add ) who wanted to bring up children rather than a stranger .
Us on benefits are not all lazy liars :-)
Why should hard working people pay for the lifestyle of those who have failed in life and can not be bothered to work?
Because it's money out of their pocket?
Reply 70
I really think that benefits are a means to an end for most .
I have children and I am on benefits .
I am hoping to study at uni and gain a career now they are getting older .
People don't take into account childcare costs and of you have no family support etc like me it can be hard .
There are those who abuse the system .But do not put us all in the same category .
Original post by RFowler
What do you want instead? Unemployed people to starve to death on the streets?

If you ever become unemployed, your view on that will change very quickly.

I honestly would not care.

If I was to ever become unemployed, I would never claim from the state. I would keep looking. Too noble for benefits.
Unless you're rich

By your definition the vast majority of the workforce are rich.

94 odd % manage to find work.

Why can't the other 6%?
Original post by JessSLT
I really think that benefits are a means to an end for most .
I have children and I am on benefits .
I am hoping to study at uni and gain a career now they are getting older .
People don't take into account childcare costs and of you have no family support etc like me it can be hard .
There are those who abuse the system .But do not put us all in the same category .

Good for you. And I think it's fair to say that nobody would begrudge you being on benefits. In fact most people don't begrudge anybody being on benefits.

As usual, it's the minority that ruin it by using benefits as a way of life and not a stop gap.
Original post by miser
When people say, "it's terrible our money goes to benefit scroungers," what they're really saying is, "we're better than these people."

I don't understand why my money should go to other people. This theory of equality doesn't make sense to me. What exactly makes everybody intrinsically entitled to the same start -- or at least a 'fair' start? It seems to stem from this belief that everybody is born equal and every person has the same value. I ask: By what metric? I don't know one. I challenge you to make an argument for me to want to pay for others that may compel me.
(edited 8 years ago)
It is because we have this notion of meritocracy, those that are on benefits are perceived as 'lazy' and not 'hard-working' enough to climb the social ladder and become successful.
I don't like it either, a lot of people that are up in arms about so called 'benefit scroungers' receive Child benefit or child tax credit and use the NHS and receive free prescriptions for contraception. A lot of people receive some form of benefits in this country but will be the first to point fingers at someone collecting housing benefit.

I have been on income support and housing benefit when I was 16 years old, I was homeless before I found a place to live and because I was in sixth form college, I had to collect income support and housing benefit to support myself as I could not work full-time. Several people were condescending towards me and made me feel 'less' because I was claiming money. Bearing in mind, a lot of the money I was getting was spent on books, stationary, food and rent.
Original post by MatureStudent36
By your definition the vast majority of the workforce are rich.

94 odd % manage to find work.

Why can't the other 6%?

Name one, just one, economy that has ever, in the history of all time that has had 100% employment without massive authoritarian intervention.
Original post by mojojojo101
Name one, just one, economy that has ever, in the history of all time that has had 100% employment without massive authoritarian intervention.

Post ww2 we had 100% unemployement.

However things have changed. Atleast our 6% unemployed are safe in. The knowledge that no matter how much migrant labour flood into the UK, about 6% of our work force will take the 'can't work, won't work attitude towards life.'
Original post by adoremorrissey
I honestly would not care.

If I was to ever become unemployed, I would never claim from the state. I would keep looking. Too noble for benefits.

And if you struggled to find a job?

You would care, without a doubt.
Original post by RFowler
And if you struggled to find a job?

You would care, without a doubt.

I would work for myself, trust me. I am too smug to claim. I would teach private piano lessons, from the comfort of my home - or parent's.

Latest

Trending

Trending