The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BannedForLife.
Well done for not voting and it's noting to be ashamed of

Thanks, you too :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
Ok so you critisice those with a fiqhi difference of opinion with you? Ridiculous. Now you are equating not voting with a lack of political activism! Some of the people i know who did not vote are the most active in the UK when it comes to political issues!

You generalisations are ridiculous and intolerant.

Dear brother,

Not to debate but i feel obliged to reply so to clarify , i don't want any muslim hurt or offended. I must reiterate, you have right to withhold from voting for any parties, and i do agree some people who are very politically active do indeed choose a protest no-vote, but i really don't think Islam should be a reason for their excuse.

As they are allowed to say Islam is a major excuse, i am also allowed to say Islam can never be an excuse.

Imho, there are so many parties to vote for. Islamically speaking, i think we are pushed to fight for justice and peace, and lessen suffering.

Nothing Britain asks us to do ever goes against Islam. I must add that in Britain i have far more religious freedom than i would do in say - saudi-arabia, where i would not be allowed into politics, top jobs, and maybe even persecuted for performing religious duties. There would be far less support, help etc.

Imho , to muslims who use Islam as an excuse, you must regard atleast one party as the lesser of the evils - correct? Why not vote for that party , because either way, your tax is going to go towards the policy of the party that wins, so just by living here you are supporting the government financially. So why not make sure the government you put in is the lesser of the evils?

Honestly, those that choose to abstain have every right to do so, and they have every right to claim Islam is their excuse, but i also have everything to highly criticize running behind Islam, and criticize the logic that is used.

Moderators, i am not strictly debating, there was a general election and i feel it will be unfair to delete the posts on the ISOC which are discussing such an important issue. If this is not the place to discuss , could you move our posts to a new thread please?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar
Hahaha you think the government will ever stop Islamophobia? Do you think they care? How delusional.
I'll do what I want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Delusional? Wow,social movements like the black rights movement or Malala would never have happened If everyone had the pessimistic attitude of you.
Original post by HAnwar
Thanks, you too :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dear brother,

I have nothing against you. You had every right not to vote, and every right to hold your views. As human beings who follow the sunnah of Muhammed pbuh, let us simply respectfully agree to disagree with each other on the islamic position of voting.
While we're on this topic. UKIP got 3.7 million votes but only 1 seat. Lol jokes. :rofl:
Original post by IdeasForLife
While we're on this topic. UKIP got 3.7 million votes but only 1 seat. Lol jokes. :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah,the system is sort of broken on that issue.Scotland gets wayyy too much influence in Westminster.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Delusional? Wow,social movements like the black rights movement or Malala would never have happened If everyone had the pessimistic attitude of you.

That doesn't have anything to do with voting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tawheed
Dear brother,

I have nothing against you. You had every right not to vote, and every right to hold your views. As human beings who follow the sunnah of Muhammed pbuh, let us simply respectfully agree to disagree with each other on the islamic position of voting.

Yet you call me ignorant, an extremist and told me to leave the country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar

Posted from TSR Mobile

I must clarify, i was referring to the people in this video who go towards the extreme side i.e they hate britain and want to join ISIS. That was why my tone was harsh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRsg5fnifdY

If my words were vauge or unclear on this, i ask for your forgiveness.

Although to clarify, for those who do not want to join ISIS (or have such extreme views i.e everything the government does is harram etc) , i do think it's silly not to vote anyway, i mean you're paying tax and are going to be supporting the government financially, so why not choose the lesser of the two evils? Surely it would be wise anyway to leave britain and not support them through tax?

However, i will now leave the discussion, i needed to clarify everything so as to not offend my muslim brothers and sisters. If anyone wants to continue the debate or to refute anything i have said, kindly make another thread and let us debate on there, i felt i have reached the limit of what can be said on the ISOC.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you should, sister :yes:

You are not part of this country if you do not participate in the voting :hand:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tawheed
Dear brother,

Not to debate but i feel obliged to reply so to clarify , i don't want any muslim hurt or offended.

"Not to debate but i'm going to debate."

Stop the act and be open.

I must reiterate, you have right to withhold from voting for any parties,

Funny, You said here they should leave the country

Original post by Tawheed
If muslims who were able and had time chose not to vote, then kindly leave the country.

and i do agree some people who are very politically active do indeed choose a protest no-vote,

Funny. You equated not voting and politcal apathy here.

Original post by Tawheed
By all means don't vote, don't be proactive, don't have a say, stay there and let the world pass, but don't taint muslims and use Islam as an excuse.

but i really don't think Islam should be a reason for their excuse.

As they are allowed to say Islam is a major excuse, i am also allowed to say Islam can never be an excuse.

"I'm going to acknowledge there is a fiqhi difference of opinion but those who follow it should get out of my country"

Nice.

I'm going to ignore the rest because it's off topic waffle.

Be clear about what you are saying. Drop the ridiculous generalisation.
(edited 8 years ago)

Any news on the BNP? :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
x.

Make a thread and i'll debate you there. I don't want another moderator warning for debating on the ISOC, nor do i want to abuse the purpose of this thread.

Read my previous post where i clarify. I will always hold my views- if you're a muslim vote. If not, just by living here you financially support the government, so why stay here if you believe they are evil in every way? Consider leaving. If you are as extreme as glorifying living under ISIS's version of shariah law - this is the group i want to clarify i believe should get out. The group that is not extremist and simply wants to withhold from voting should not get out, but i do absolutely disagree with them using Islam as an excuse - this is only alienating us muslims, and by living here they support the government financialy, so surely they should consider leaving? Its illogical to not vote for the lesser of the two evils, and then end up staying and paying thousands in tax for a government you class as oppresive.

Again it is hard to follow the no-debating rule. In such a sensitive topic moderators, when you're being provoked into a reply, or if you remain silence you views are distorted and risk offending many, what can one do?

I do ask you again, lets make a thread and have a debate on it. If you don't want to make one, shall i make it? I won't be responding on this thread, irrespective of whoever distorts my views.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by (CH3)4 - Si

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't tell me what to do.

And where exactly does it say that? Ever heard of freedom not to vote?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alhamdullilah! This was the one good news during the election.
Original post by (CH3)4 - Si

Posted from TSR Mobile

you're telling her to leave the country - just because she has not voted

You can’t push someone to vote
Original post by Tawheed
Make a thread and i'll debate you there. I don't want another moderator warning for debating on the ISOC, nor do i want to abuse the purpose of this thread.

So you start this debate by making a ridiculous generalisation then you backtrack on it and say debate me on a different thread if you disagree? No thanks.

So we've established the following

1. When you said "Get out if you didn't vote". You were referring to ISIS supporters?
2. When your post suggested "Not voting = Political apathy" you didn't intend it to mean that?
3. When you said "Get out if you didn't vote". You suggested that people who didn't vote claiming and islamic reason rather than abstaining to make a political point should also consider getting out?

I think we can deal with this swiftly as long as we keep it short and if your answer is Yes, Yes, Yes. I have no further quarrel.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BannedForLife.
you're telling her to leave the country - just because she has not voted

You can’t push someone to vote

Well then what is she doing here if she doesnt care how the country is run?

If she doesnt care, why should she stay here? :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awkward.
Original post by HAnwar
Don't tell me what to do.

And where exactly does it say that? Ever heard of freedom not to vote?

Posted from TSR Mobile

First can you tell me why you didnt vote :hmmm:

If you didnt vote because you dont care, then what are you doing here? Dont you care about how the country is run?

If we could kick out every non voter out of the country and replace them with people who are engaged with how the country is run then that will only benefit society

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending