The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi
This course would be ideal for me . My dream .
But I want to make sure I'm accepted . Is there anything I can do to make my ucas application better ?
I am a mature student a single mum . I will get my access course ,but should I try to get work experience or voluntary ? If yes please some examples of where ?
Are there any courses I could take now to help me such as online A level English or short courses such as phonetics etc ?
What would help my application?
Hoping to go to Birmingham City to study my degree :-)

Also any books they use /recommend on course that I could get and study now ?

Thank you
Reply 3401
Original post by JessSLT
Hi
This course would be ideal for me . My dream .
But I want to make sure I'm accepted . Is there anything I can do to make my ucas application better ?
I am a mature student a single mum . I will get my access course ,but should I try to get work experience or voluntary ? If yes please some examples of where ?
Are there any courses I could take now to help me such as online A level English or short courses such as phonetics etc ?
What would help my application?
Hoping to go to Birmingham City to study my degree :-)

Also any books they use /recommend on course that I could get and study now ?

Thank you

I'm also a mature student and am due to finish the access course soon. I am hoping to go to BCU in September to study SLT. Soon that will be I am going to BCU!

I have experience of working with SLT in schools so have volunteered with the Stroke Association as a communication support volunteer this year to see a different aspect of SLT work. I also read 'Some other Everest' which gave an experience of overcoming communication difficulties.

My advice for ucas would be to gain as much experience as you can and link your experiences to uni or work as a SLT. eg the access has lots of time deadlines, so you have developed time management and organisation skills.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Original post by mrsrev
I'm also a mature student and am due to finish the access course soon. I am hoping to go to BCU in September to study SLT. Soon that will be I am going to BCU!

I have experience of working with SLT in schools so have volunteered with the Stroke Association as a communication support volunteer this year to see a different aspect of SLT work. I also read 'Some other Everest' which gave an experience of overcoming communication difficulties.

My advice for ucas would be to gain as much experience as you can and link your experiences to uni or work as a SLT. eg the access has lots of time deadlines, so you have developed time management and organisation skills.

Hope this helps and good luck!

I would love to volunteer in many organisations but I have two children who are not yet at school . So childcare is a barrier I am trying to overcome . As no family member is in a position to help .As this is going to be vital to me getting in , as BCU is my only choice on ucas form .

I will look into volunteering with stroke victims and read that book . Reading I can do :-)

I have life experiences ..a sister with special needs who had extensive speech therapy my toddler who was 28weeker ...going through the process now also ...SLT has been in my life in one way or another life Older daughter has problems swallowing her Adhd meds (any tablets ) also lol it's what's attracted me mostly to this career .

My problem will be work experience only I feel :-(

Thank you so much for your help
Original post by JessSLT
I would love to volunteer in many organisations but I have two children who are not yet at school . So childcare is a barrier I am trying to overcome . As no family member is in a position to help .As this is going to be vital to me getting in , as BCU is my only choice on ucas form .

I will look into volunteering with stroke victims and read that book . Reading I can do :-)

I have life experiences ..a sister with special needs who had extensive speech therapy my toddler who was 28weeker ...going through the process now also ...SLT has been in my life in one way or another life Older daughter has problems swallowing her Adhd meds (any tablets ) also lol it's what's attracted me mostly to this career .

My problem will be work experience only I feel :-(

Thank you so much for your help

I am also a mature student who hopes to go to BCU in September!

I have volunteered at the Stroke Society and this only involved a couple of hours one morning a week, but was invaluable in giving me an insight into how people feel and cope after they have had a stroke and the communication difficulties involved.

Volunteering in a school or nursery is also a good idea. From my experience they are really grateful to have the help, as many children are in need of specific supported language activities.

Your life experiences are invaluable and will help you to answer the written interview questions.

Is your access course in health and social care? If so you probably don't need to do another course and the time may be better spent getting some experience.

Good luck, when are you planning on applying?
Original post by shropshirelass51
I am also a mature student who hopes to go to BCU in September!

I have volunteered at the Stroke Society and this only involved a couple of hours one morning a week, but was invaluable in giving me an insight into how people feel and cope after they have had a stroke and the communication difficulties involved.

Volunteering in a school or nursery is also a good idea. From my experience they are really grateful to have the help, as many children are in need of specific supported language activities.

Your life experiences are invaluable and will help you to answer the written interview questions.

Is your access course in health and social care? If so you probably don't need to do another course and the time may be better spent getting some experience.

Good luck, when are you planning on applying?

Hi
Thank you for your help and advice
Yes it's level 3 healthcare sciences :-)
I have a level and also a gnvq int. health and social care and also the needed maths and English gcse c , so it should be enough .

I have 4 children but yes if during school time I could maybe pay a childcare provider a couple of hours to have the two younger children ;-) .

It would be for sept 2016 as access will take me a year . So I have a few months till I apply to gain the work experience ... May start emailing a couple of organisations this week and see what they say I would love to shadow a SLT for a week but I'm not sure they do this ??

I may start reading books and online courses I think . As don't need childcare for that lol

Thank you
Original post by Kaylou12
I'm looking into MSV at the moment but will probably go into one of the cheaper rooms. Have you seen any of them and are they crazy tiny or okay? I've read some mixed reviews but they were from a few years ago! Are the kitchen and bathrooms shared between 3/4 people in the flat? Thanks! Everywhere seems to be selling out so I want to book up soon :smile: The other place I'm looking at is Carfax Court with but it's further away from MMU.

Hi, two of my friends lived in MSV South and their flat was really nice! I don't know if all of them are to the same standard but they had a shared kitchen with 4 of them and it was quite modern with sofas and a flat screen TV. Their rooms were really nice too and very spacious compared to other accommodation I've seen! Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by gscott10
Hi, two of my friends lived in MSV South and their flat was really nice! I don't know if all of them are to the same standard but they had a shared kitchen with 4 of them and it was quite modern with sofas and a flat screen TV. Their rooms were really nice too and very spacious compared to other accommodation I've seen! Hope that helps :smile:

Hi, wow a flat screen TV! I think the flats I'm looking at are a bit smaller, they don't have sofas in. But it's good to know that the accommodation in general is good, as it's the same company :smile: Thanks!
Hi! I firmed marjon nearly 2 weeks ago now, and still haven't received any confirmation email or letter but have from my insurance choice, I need a confirmation email in order to set up a student account at Barclays. Should I email them asking for a confirmation or will it take a little longer cause my appointment is next wednesday?
Original post by Savyannah
Hi! I firmed marjon nearly 2 weeks ago now, and still haven't received any confirmation email or letter but have from my insurance choice, I need a confirmation email in order to set up a student account at Barclays. Should I email them asking for a confirmation or will it take a little longer cause my appointment is next wednesday?

Hi - is your offer conditional? You get a letter from UCAS once it goes unconditional. You cant open an official student account without the letter. I just used my own existing bank details for bursary etc last year as I couldn't convert my account to a student account until after A level results last year.
Original post by AmyPilot
Hi - is your offer conditional? You get a letter from UCAS once it goes unconditional. You cant open an official student account without the letter. I just used my own existing bank details for bursary etc last year as I couldn't convert my account to a student account until after A level results last year.

Yes my offer is conditional which is why I need a letter to open an account but i received an email from my insurance choice saying thank you for choosing them for my insurance, so will need a similar thing for my firm and that will count, no? I'm so confused by this whole process!
Yes my offer is conditional which is why I need a letter to open an account but i received an email from my insurance choice saying thank you for choosing them for my insurance, so will need a similar thing for my firm and that will count, no? I'm so confused by this whole process!

Wait until your offer goes unconditional
Original post by JordanC55
Wait until your offer goes unconditional

But that's after the exams and when we can't apply for BOSS and finance anymore, so do I just set it up with a bank account I already have?
But that's after the exams and when we can't apply for BOSS and finance anymore, so do I just set it up with a bank account I already have?

You can get away with not putting in bank details at all until a later date, or you can Change it at any point, so don't worry about a student account for now :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3413

Fill in the form with your current bank details - you can change them once you have the results and can confirm your place.

People have already replied but the letter you need to open an official student account comes from UCAS after results day when the offer goes unconditional. As stated by everyone else use your existing bank details and then change it later as appropriate
Original post by shropshirelass51
I live in Shifnal, so we will be on the same train! I thought I might get the bus from New Street as it seems the quickest option. I went on the train to New Street for my interview, then another train to Fiveways, then walked, but it seemed to take an age. It's going to take about 1.5 hours door to door. I guess it's going to be an even longer commute for you. I think driving would be stressful and as you say parking would be a problem, but it would be much quicker.
Perhaps we can use the commuting time to do some work!

Sorry it took me soooo long to reply to this! You'll have to show me the bus route i could definitely use a quicker journey, it's going to take me about 1.45 door to door (at least it did when i went for the interview), i live in wem so about half hour from shifnal! I must be mad, haha yes i count on doing loads of reading on the train :smile:
Hello all. Anyone planning on doing part-time at BCU?

I firmed marjon months ago and never received anything. Did not think we were supposed to until we actually meet the conditions?
Just a reminder that I've set up a 2015 page for BCU for those who are going to attend and want to speak to others. https://www.facebook.com/BCUSLT2015
Original post by AmyPilot
People have already replied but the letter you need to open an official student account comes from UCAS after results day when the offer goes unconditional. As stated by everyone else use your existing bank details and then change it later as appropriate

Hi, bit random to ask but I know that last chance to do student finance is end of may but does that mean for myself to have sent it and received back confirmation before the end of may?

Quick Reply

Latest