The Student Room Group

Young Modulus in Stress-Strain graphs help

In Stress-Strain graphs, the gradient is E, Young Modulus, right since E = Stress/Strain (correct me if i'm wrong).

So I just wanna make sure, say you're given 2 materials. Would the material with the highest Young Modulus be the steeper one?
Original post by KINGYusuf
In Stress-Strain graphs, the gradient is E, Young Modulus, right since E = Stress/Strain (correct me if i'm wrong).

So I just wanna make sure, say you're given 2 materials. Would the material with the highest Young Modulus be the steeper one?

The gradient is the youngs modulus of the material.

As for the second questions, I'm not sure but it seems right to me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KINGYusuf

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
--

You're correct, Young's Modulus = Stress/Strain.

When I was learning about it, I thought about the gradient of stress-strain graph, as being the Young's Modulus (which it effectively is). Therefore, the steeper the line, the higher the Young's Modulus. This is obviously assuming that you are talking about the elastic region of the graph.

I hope that has made sense, if not, I'm sure someone else will be much better at explaining it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending