The Student Room Group

Old Higher Music - just finished

Anyone just come out of old Higher Music? I found it very hard :frown:
Reply 1
Yes, I just came about about an hour ago. I have been teaching myself music this year, so I found the paper hard. How did you find the last question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by JP298
Yes, I just came about about an hour ago. I have been teaching myself music this year, so I found the paper hard. How did you find the last question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The last question was okay, especially compared to the first few (what was with the egg question!?)

Anyway, for the first column I got Imitation and Anthem (I know this is wrong!), second column change in key and syncopation, and for common to both 4 beats in a bar, pedal, ornaments and scotch snap. What about you?
Reply 3
Original post by StuartM9_
The last question was okay, especially compared to the first few (what was with the egg question!?)

Anyway, for the first column I got Imitation and Anthem (I know this is wrong!), second column change in key and syncopation, and for common to both 4 beats in a bar, pedal, ornaments and scotch snap. What about you?

I got the same for you in the excerpt 2, coomon for both i got: Srathspey, 4 beats in a bar, Scotch snap and Pedal then for the first excerpt I can't remember what I put in XD
Reply 4
Original post by JP298
I got the same for you in the excerpt 2, coomon for both i got: Srathspey, 4 beats in a bar, Scotch snap and Pedal then for the first excerpt I can't remember what I put in XD

I didn't think either was a Strathspey, especially the first one because that wasn't a traditional Scottish piece:s-smilie: I'm probably wrong though:colondollar:
That exam was terrible. What on earth were the SQA thinking with some of those extracts. Did anyone get the missing words answer about the beginning of each time the singer sings? I had no clue.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I had no idea for what the singer was doing, so I just put anacrusis. I think it was a strathspey, as my teacher said so. Anyway what were you all aiming for and what did you think you got?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
I had no idea for what the singer was doing, so I just put anacrusis. I think it was a strathspey, as my teacher said so. Anyway what were you all aiming for and what did you think you got?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put anacrusis too!! Aiming for an A and I think I probably got about 30/40ish
Reply 8
Original post by I'll be Bach
That exam was terrible. What on earth were the SQA thinking with some of those extracts. Did anyone get the missing words answer about the beginning of each time the singer sings? I had no clue.

I put anacrusis too - I'm pretty sure that's right.

I'm hoping for an A but the listening has made me think I'll be borderline A/B. I hope the A boundary will be lower because of the difficulty of listening
Also did anyone get what the texture in the woodwind was?? I had absolutely no idea what it was asking
Reply 10
Oh yeah, that was another weird question. I put homophonic, which I hope was right. I was a borderline 20/40 in that exam and I just hope I passed, as I think I did very well in the practical. What did you put for the concept that described the Timing?
Not sure. Irregular meters maybe?
Reply 12
Yes, that's what I put as well and it was correct! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I put irregular metres, but I wasn't sure because the time signature was 5/4 throughout the whole piece and never changed. I'm relieved it's correct though:biggrin:
Original post by StuartM9_
I put irregular metres, but I wasn't sure because the time signature was 5/4 throughout the whole piece and never changed. I'm relieved it's correct though:biggrin:

I thought it might be 5/4 too but I figured the SQA wouldn't put that as an answer for a higher paper.
Reply 15
Yes, it was 5/4, but my teacher said, she marks for the SQA, that because it's a time signature that's not in the course, you should put irregular metres.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I just did the old higher music and it was so hard, aiming for an A but think I'll be borderline A/B... quick question - does it matter which way the stems on the notes go? I put an A with then stem down (treble clef) and I'm pretty sure they don't bother about it but just wanted to make sure! Also, is it machine marked or not? Had to scribble out a tick I accidentally did in the grid question (Q8) because I copied my answers over wrong but fortunately reailsed I had to change it:K:... Thanks in advance :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending