The Student Room Group

How did the Conservatives win when everyone seems to hate them?

I always read on the Daily Mail comments section and various other places on the internet, hate comments to David Cameron and people saying how much they hate the Tories and everything like that. Everyone seemed to be confident that David Cameron would lose the election.

So how did he win? I don't understand.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randomguy94
I always read on the Daily Mail comments section and various other places on the internet, hate comments to David Cameron and people saying how much they hate the Tories and everything like that. Everyone seemed to be confident that David Cameron would lose the election.

Because Labour didn't win enough seats, and well, people hated the Lib Dems even more for some reason. Labour may have got votes compared to the previous elections, but they were all in their strong holds. In the marginals, the Connies did better at hoovering up Lib Dem votes.

A better economy* meant the Conservatives were on the up. Miliband had a terrible Question Time debate, and paid the price.

*Although, an economic recover based on zero-hours contracts can never be called a recovery...
Because there weren't enough lefty ***** who voted labour, simple as
You're more likely to see left wing supporters on the Internet tbh. I suspect a lot of older people will have voted for the conservatives, especially given their promises not to scrap any of the things currently given to pensioners ie bus passes.
Lefties appear to be a lot more vocal, based on tabloid, BBC and Facebook observations
The internet is predominantly used by young people who are mostly left wing. Also conservative people are generally less "loud" about their support - see the "Shy Tory" factor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shy_Tory_Factor

If I were to put on facebook that I support conservatives, i'll get hate and abuse from loud left wingers. Therefore we don't do it.
Well if you read the daily mail then what do you expect to hear? Tory voters are traditionally less outspoken than labour ones
because the media you read left you delusional, loads support the conservatives and are really feeling the recovery.
Rupert Murdoch had a lot to do with it - persistent smear in the nation's most circulated publications will take its toll.

Working people don't really have time to post on comments threads so you don't get to read the comments on the majority of people.

It's like hanging around with a group of fanatic animal rights activists. Hang around with them long enough and you think their beliefs are societies normality.
Many people are ashamed to admit they vote Conservative.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11

Obviously lots of people liked him.
I'm happy enough to admit I voted conservative. My constituency was either Tory or UKIP though so the decision was pretty easy.

But I guess people are quieter just simply because of what the party stand for. Imagine if we only had two parties: An extremest left wing party and an extremist right wing. I would imagine the right wing people would get more hate from a neutrally-oriented political person than a left wing person, if they openly expressed their views.

Maybe this effect is in play but on a much lesser scale? To be honest, if I had voted UKIP I wouldn't be posting that I had voted them..
Original post by nexttime
Rupert Murdoch had a lot to do with it - persistent smear in the nation's most circulated publications will take its toll.

Now the conservatives have got a majority, hopefully without the liberal democrats dragging them along they can impose extremely tougher welfare cuts, a stronger bedroom tax, a tax on the disabled who do not work and an increase in zero hour contracts on the poor. We need to see a complete and utter annihilation on the lives of the left wing poor.
Original post by Quantex
Many people are ashamed to admit they vote Conservative.

They're really not. They just don't want to deal with leftist whining.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
They're really not. They just don't want to deal with leftist whining.

It is one reason to explain why the polls were so out in the run up to the election. Except for dodgy methodology, I can't think of any other reason.
Many Conservatives voters don't publicly share who they will vote for compared to people who support other parties.
Original post by Quantex
It is one reason to explain why the polls were so out in the run up to the election. Except for dodgy methodology, I can't think of any other reason.

Late UKIP switch back to Conservative in the south (but not the north) would be one, although I'm not sure exactly how well that stacks up on the numbers as an explanation.
The media wanted a labour government so they used propaganda to hype up a labour win to make the conservatives think their vote wouldn't matter. But the shy Tory factor came in and they were wrong again.
A few reasons. Firstly, the reason you find the election result being dissonant with vocal people on the internet is because it is young people who use the internet, it's not even slightly representative of peoples opinions on the whole.

Secondly, you have UKIP to thank. By this I mean that it seems that UKIP did a fantastic job of taking enough votes from labour so that the conservatives could win a good number of marginal seats.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending