The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

I am so utterly embarrassed :frown:

Been feeling a bit ill the last few days with a sore throat and stuff. This morning I woke up about 5 with no voice and feeling horrendous, debated calling in sick but decided against it. On my walk in I felt awful and started getting the sweats and was going to ask my mentor if I could leave when I'd taught my lessons for the day.

Got into the staffroom and got asked if I was okay and I just burst into tears, said I was feeling awful and my mentor and another teacher sat with me in the medical room for a bit. My mentor didn't even entertain the idea of me teaching today and he sent me home. Threw up at school so I know I needed to not be there...

I feel so so embarrassed and eurgh, I just feel like such a wimp especially as a fair few teachers saw me cry.

I also feel bad because it meant my mentor had to take my classes and I don't feel like I gave him enough warning :frown:
Original post by Samus2

Been feeling a bit ill the last few days with a sore throat and stuff. This morning I woke up about 5 with no voice and feeling horrendous, debated calling in sick but decided against it. On my walk in I felt awful and started getting the sweats and was going to ask my mentor if I could leave when I'd taught my lessons for the day.

Got into the staffroom and got asked if I was okay and I just burst into tears, said I was feeling awful and my mentor and another teacher sat with me in the medical room for a bit. My mentor didn't even entertain the idea of me teaching today and he sent me home. Threw up at school so I know I needed to not be there...

I feel so so embarrassed and eurgh, I just feel like such a wimp especially as a fair few teachers saw me cry.

I also feel bad because it meant my mentor had to take my classes and I don't feel like I gave him enough warning :frown:

Tears on a PGCE is like a rite of passage. Some unis don't let you graduate until other teachers have seen you in full-on sobbing mode :wink: Don't worry about it, dude. They've all been there, I've been there and so has everyone else on here.

Plus we've all had to wing lessons. Bet he had a nice poster-making one with your classes!

GO TO BED.
Original post by Samus2

Don't feel embarrassed or guilty at all!

Every teacher has been there so they all know how you feel and won't think badly of you for crying.

I have gone in and had to go home three times. Twice I convinced myself I was fine, struggled through teaching (god knows how I taught skipping to three year olds!) And then as soon as I could leave suddenly felt abysmal and threw up. The other I had been doing overtime (in a nursery) for a couple of months, so 50 hour weeks with the children, and it stopped me getting over a cold which just got worse. I got through the morning then lay down and cried at lunch, they sent me home and I cried again at the doctors lol.

I also cried three times on my PGCE... In the toilets, at home (WHAT IF I'M JUST A TERRIBLE TEACHER?!?!) and once in a meeting with a mentor after an abysmal lesson. But only once in my NQT year, and that was because another staff member told a member of SLT I'd spoken nastily to them, which really upset me because I would never want to upset or speak nastily to anyone, I pride myself on being nice and really liked this staff member, plus it was right before an observation. The SLT member was lovely though, she shut the door and just listened and let me wait, offered to rearrange the observation and said she understood.

So it happens!

Hope you're recovering well.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you arrange your class folders? I'm all digital and it's causing a bit of worry at school so I'd like to sort them out properly over this weekend.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
How do you arrange your class folders? I'm all digital and it's causing a bit of worry at school so I'd like to sort them out properly over this weekend.

My folders aren't organised. That's this weekend's job too. I am mostly digital.

Wwhy are your school worried about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive had to spend so long on my folders and need to try and finish them this weekend. I have 2 weeks left of placement and my school need to sign off my evidence folder for the teaching standards. Plus my mentor has said she wants to see all of my mark sheets for my classes and my reflection sheets before she writes up my final report and mark so she can see Ive actually been doing what she asked me to. So much to do :/
Original post by Airfairy
My folders aren't organised. That's this weekend's job too. I am mostly digital.

Wwhy are your school worried about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they're thinking a bit traditional. It's not a massive worry but I'm at the point where I don't want to do anything that might cause them to agree with my uni tutor and extend me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ratchit99
Ive had to spend so long on my folders and need to try and finish them this weekend. I have 2 weeks left of placement and my school need to sign off my evidence folder for the teaching standards. Plus my mentor has said she wants to see all of my mark sheets for my classes and my reflection sheets before she writes up my final report and mark so she can see Ive actually been doing what she asked me to. So much to do :/

Oh god I hope I don't have to show marksheets and reflections - I haven't done any!!

Original post by ParadoxSocks
I think they're thinking a bit traditional. It's not a massive worry but I'm at the point where I don't want to do anything that might cause them to agree with my uni tutor and extend me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guess there is no harm in sorting out some physical files.
Original post by kpwxx
Don't feel embarrassed or guilty at all!

Every teacher has been there so they all know how you feel and won't think badly of you for crying.

I have gone in and had to go home three times. Twice I convinced myself I was fine, struggled through teaching (god knows how I taught skipping to three year olds!) And then as soon as I could leave suddenly felt abysmal and threw up. The other I had been doing overtime (in a nursery) for a couple of months, so 50 hour weeks with the children, and it stopped me getting over a cold which just got worse. I got through the morning then lay down and cried at lunch, they sent me home and I cried again at the doctors lol.

I also cried three times on my PGCE... In the toilets, at home (WHAT IF I'M JUST A TERRIBLE TEACHER?!?!) and once in a meeting with a mentor after an abysmal lesson. But only once in my NQT year, and that was because another staff member told a member of SLT I'd spoken nastily to them, which really upset me because I would never want to upset or speak nastily to anyone, I pride myself on being nice and really liked this staff member, plus it was right before an observation. The SLT member was lovely though, she shut the door and just listened and let me wait, offered to rearrange the observation and said she understood.

So it happens!

Hope you're recovering well.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear, the good old 'Oh god, what if I'm just crap and will never pass' PGCE cry. I know it well :redface:

Had another big observation yesterday and my CfC was reviewed. I've got it for another week but I've gone from a 4 to a 3 in two weeks which is good. Obviously I'm worried about being a 3 at this stage but just taking it one step at a time. I'm just glad it's the weekend right now!
Original post by Samus2

I know how you feel! I seem to be constantly off ill (at least once a half term!!) and I feel like such a massive let down.
The last time I was feeling so bad that I had to go home I had gone in determined that I would not let it get to me, I got into my classroom started preparing everything fro my first lesson and getting ready for form. 5 minutes before the form bell went I started wanting to cry in the classroom, I sucked it up (as there were kids in there) and decided to go for a little walk to the maths staff room/ I calmed down a little bit, pored myself a drink and then when the bell went I started crying. I tried to hide it from my colleagues but then my subject leader walked in, looked at me and I tried to turn away but she caught it, asked someone to go and take my form for me and made me sit down.
I cried like a big baby and they told me to go home. I ended up sitting down, and falling asleep for the first period and then went home.

I hate the fact that I have been caught crying quite a few times this academic year... and all because I was feeling poorly. I got caught crying last academic year (during my NQT) quite a few times based on how rubbish I felt at being a teacher. Things get better. HONESTLY!

You are allowed to be upset and vulnerable at times!
For my interview on Weds I have to prepare an hour and a half lesson plan, but only deliver the first 25 mins. They want the lesson plan to show 1.5 hrs of the lesson, but do you think I am okay preparing my powerpoint for only the 25 mins I have to deliver?
I just can't control them at all and they feed on it. My mentor has given me tips but nothing is working. Worse still, I was on track for a 1 but my mentor said I can't get a 1 if I can't control this class.

My behaviour management is normally based on my strong relationship with the pupils, which is said to be one of my strengths. But I hate this class and they hate me, so I can't build up a relationship with a class so unlikable, meaning I've lost my key strength here.

It sounds pathetic to cry over a class. I just feel they are holding me back and making me realise how crap I am.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by outlaw-torn
I could have written this post, and I'm an NQT! Today I cried at lunch because of my y9's who I hate. They hate me. Like you, my strength during my PGCE and this year was creating a strong relationship with my classes. I don't have one inch of a relationship with this class and today was 1 hour of pure hell with them. No constructive advice but I do feel your pain! xx

I could have written your posts. I've also always been complimented on my relationships with classes, and that's what I use to control them. But with a year 8 class I just haven't been able to develop that; I found out when I was particularly annoyed with them that their normal teacher lets them do what they want and doesn't really teach them (which would explain why this 'top set' is significantly underachieving). I think with some classes it's just a case of pupils knowing that you're a student teacher (and let's be honest, they almost all do) and so not really caring about their relationship with you - this really clicked for me yesterday when a girl got up in the middle of my lesson to ask the normal class teacher to go outside to have a drink after I'd just said no, and she responded "bu you're not my teacher" after having taken them for 2 months...

For my interview on Weds I have to prepare an hour and a half lesson plan, but only deliver the first 25 mins. They want the lesson plan to show 1.5 hrs of the lesson, but do you think I am okay preparing my powerpoint for only the 25 mins I have to deliver?

I can't see why that would be an issue - planning for something you simply won't be teaching is just a waste of time.

I would round off the PowerPoint t as a whole. I actually think k that's a nice way to do it as it doesn't force you to condense a whole lesson in to a tiny slot. I would imagine that most of the info and hence PowerPoint will be in the first 25 right? So you would only need to add plenary stuff to the ppt anyway?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tory88
I could have written your posts. I've also always been complimented on my relationships with classes, and that's what I use to control them. But with a year 8 class I just haven't been able to develop that; I found out when I was particularly annoyed with them that their normal teacher lets them do what they want and doesn't really teach them (which would explain why this 'top set' is significantly underachieving). I think with some classes it's just a case of pupils knowing that you're a student teacher (and let's be honest, they almost all do) and so not really caring about their relationship with you - this really clicked for me yesterday when a girl got up in the middle of my lesson to ask the normal class teacher to go outside to have a drink after I'd just said no, and she responded "bu you're not my teacher" after having taken them for 2 months...

I can't see why that would be an issue - planning for something you simply won't be teaching is just a waste of time.

That's the thing, they so all know you're new and inexperienced which is the main reason why they don't listen, I think. I don't think there's much we can do about that, except hope that our mentors understand!

Original post by kpwxx
I would round off the PowerPoint t as a whole. I actually think k that's a nice way to do it as it doesn't force you to condense a whole lesson in to a tiny slot. I would imagine that most of the info and hence PowerPoint will be in the first 25 right? So you would only need to add plenary stuff to the ppt anyway?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean round off the powerpoint as in just do 25 mins for the powerpoint? Definitely not most of the info in the first 25 mins. I am doing a lesson on monetary policy (Economics A-Level) and there are three components to monetary policy, and I am going to touch on the first one. The rest of the lesson would be going over the other two and then a plenary, so there is a lot missing but hopefully they will understand that. :dontknow:
Airfairy. For your lesson I would start with clearly setting out your learning Intentions and discussing how they will know if they have been successful. You will need to elicit their prior knowledge through discussion (probably through the...think, pair, share...model. Then think about how you want them to learn- just going through a PowerPoint for the whole lesson would probably not lead to sufficient learning. Are thy reading and discussing in pairs, highlighting information, engaging with vocabulary etc and reporting back to share their learning with the class? It will need to be active I would think. How do you select who will answer? How will they record their learnings??

Hope this helps a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would prepare the entire thing. Just so the lesson plan and resources match up.

I'm not for a second saying that things will go wrong(!) but if they do, in your interview afterwards, you will have more evidence (as well as your lesson plan) to show what your intentions were and provide a basis for discussion on that.
I got the job in the end! Very happy!

Original post by kpwxx
Head teachers will likely be checking and sending emails every Sunday so that in itself is not unusual. I would try not to read too much in to it, its probably just that s/he knows other jobs may come up and wants you to know things are happening. It could mean many things though, so just continue as you would have. It doesn't mean you have an interview but it does sound promising :smile:

I'd also take her offer of a visit up if you have a chance, as it reflects well on you, gives you a chance to impress them and show your passion and gives you a chance to check out the school more!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yesterday marked my last day teaching on the PGCE. All I have left is my research project and a 2k word essay and then it is all over! Sigh of relief!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by camcam88
Yesterday marked my last day teaching on the PGCE. All I have left is my research project and a 2k word essay and then it is all over! Sigh of relief!

Woop! Congrats. Im on the 2 week countdown to the end of placement and my last ever day as a teacher. Cant wait!!!
I'm really starting to freak out. I'm not ready to finish yet. I have so much left to do and I've spent the entire day worried absolutely sick about everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending