This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ScaryScience
ED/body image

Spoiler

Spoiler

Got a letter from the college this morning, waited until my mum was out the room to open it because i had no idea what it would be about...

I've officially been offered a place :woo:
Original post by Midnightmemories
Got a letter from the college this morning, waited until my mum was out the room to open it because i had no idea what it would be about...

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Congratulations!
Original post by superwolf

Spoiler

Spoiler

yay! well done! :party:

Spoiler

I'm not bad thanks - had my morning coffee, and not feeling too crappy today (apart from about election obviously :tongue:). Might get up properly and do some crafting in a bit. :smile:
Without even having gone to therapy I feel that one of the biggest solutions for my sadness and depressive symptoms is to be active- and its difficult to do that when my exams are near and I need to be revising. My lifestyle is currently very secluded and I end up spending a lot of time dwelling on thoughts, even though I know that it gets me nowhere. I honestly believe that my wellbeing will improve when/if I get in to uni, provided that I force myself to out of my comfort zone.
My sister doesn't understand depression. She thinks that it's an embarrassment to have, that it's a "quick fix". She doesn't get that it does impact me quite a bit, that I'm not normal. I think that she thinks I'm putting this all on for attention. Once she looked at me and went "You know some people have it for life, right? If I ever had it, I'd tell no one. I'd die of embarrassment." She refuses to believe that I do get side effects from the antidepressants, that I'm on zopiclone because I'm actually not sleeping, that I have lost weight - our granny bought me a new pair of jeans because even she said she thought I was looking too thin for my clothes and Maeve (that's my sister's name) just gave one of her "I think that's BS" smiles and said sarcastically, "Right then."

Every time I go to the cmht, Maeve asks if that'll be my last meeting and "what do you even do there?! Just talk?!" She's jealous of the attention our daddy now gives me (he didn't give me much before since I have never caused problems and well, that's how our relationship was.) She always has talked to Daddy about absolutely everything and even he has sais in the last few weeks her attitude has become horrendous towards me.

Maeve is downstairs right now, cleaning and tidying, and I'm avoiding her because she gets into a horrible control freak mood when she cleans - complains if I help, complains if I don't help. She has a job compared to me and she has a shift starting at 3pm and I'm counting down the hours until she's out of the house. I mean, I love her, she's my younger sister, but she's becoming unbearable to deal with ever since I was diagnosed. And I wish she would understand, but I can't make her understand. It frustrates me.

I can't wait to go to Scotland and get away from her, our brother, our family. I want to be far away as possible from people I know.

/rant. Sorry, I just had to get this out of my system again. I've mentioned this to my daddy but he says there's nothing I can do. :jumphug: to all who need one, and congrats Midnightmemories!
Original post by Emily.97
Without even having gone to therapy I feel that one of the biggest solutions for my sadness and depressive symptoms is to be active- and its difficult to do that when my exams are near and I need to be revising. My lifestyle is currently very secluded and I end up spending a lot of time dwelling on thoughts, even though I know that it gets me nowhere. I honestly believe that my wellbeing will improve when/if I get in to uni, provided that I force myself to out of my comfort zone.

It's good that you've identified a solution - I think exam season is tough for everyone, but once it's over hopefully you can really work on getting better. :smile:
Original post by CescaD96
My sister doesn't understand depression. She thinks that it's an embarrassment to have, that it's a "quick fix". She doesn't get that it does impact me quite a bit, that I'm not normal. I think that she thinks I'm putting this all on for attention. Once she looked at me and went "You know some people have it for life, right? If I ever had it, I'd tell no one. I'd die of embarrassment." She refuses to believe that I do get side effects from the antidepressants, that I'm on zopiclone because I'm actually not sleeping, that I have lost weight - our granny bought me a new pair of jeans because even she said she thought I was looking too thin for my clothes and Maeve (that's my sister's name) just gave one of her "I think that's BS" smiles and said sarcastically, "Right then."

Every time I go to the cmht, Maeve asks if that'll be my last meeting and "what do you even do there?! Just talk?!" She's jealous of the attention our daddy now gives me (he didn't give me much before since I have never caused problems and well, that's how our relationship was.) She always has talked to Daddy about absolutely everything and even he has sais in the last few weeks her attitude has become horrendous towards me.

Maeve is downstairs right now, cleaning and tidying, and I'm avoiding her because she gets into a horrible control freak mood when she cleans - complains if I help, complains if I don't help. She has a job compared to me and she has a shift starting at 3pm and I'm counting down the hours until she's out of the house. I mean, I love her, she's my younger sister, but she's becoming unbearable to deal with ever since I was diagnosed. And I wish she would understand, but I can't make her understand. It frustrates me.

I can't wait to go to Scotland and get away from her, our brother, our family. I want to be far away as possible from people I know.

/rant. Sorry, I just had to get this out of my system again. I've mentioned this to my daddy but he says there's nothing I can do. :jumphug: to all who need one, and congrats Midnightmemories!

Your sister sounds a bit awful really! :console:

I found that with my family, the further I live from them the better we get on though, so hopefully you'll find the same. :smile: It also sounds like she's got a lot of growing up to do, so I wouldn't despair of her yet - if she's your younger sister then there's still plenty of time for her to mature and see the error of her ways.

I said congrats at the end of my long rant above but you probably won't see it so I'll just quote you now and say it: Congratulations! That's brilliant! :h:
Your sister sounds a bit awful really! :console:

I found that with my family, the further I live from them the better we get on though, so hopefully you'll find the same. :smile: It also sounds like she's got a lot of growing up to do, so I wouldn't despair of her yet - if she's your younger sister then there's still plenty of time for her to mature and see the error of her ways.

She's 17! Only 15 months younger than me. :frown: It's horrible because we share a room and all, and most of the time I'm crying to myself in secret so she doesn't hear me. In fact, she has spent the last hour downstairs talking about me to my brother and I've heard every word and she knows I have.
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Congratulations!

Thank you. :hugs:

yay! well done! :party:

Thank you :hugs:

I know that this might seem a really bad idea, but have you sat down and spoken with her about how you feel? Try and explain to her about depression and what it does to you? (Saying all of this i've chickened out of explaining my situation to my mum loads of times, so I'm probably seeming a bit pathetic telling you to do so...) :hugs: Always here if you wanna chat, i have a younger sister who doesn't understand how i feel to so i know how it feels to always have someone who doesn't understand on your back all the time...

I said congrats at the end of my long rant above but you probably won't see it so I'll just quote you now and say it: Congratulations! That's brilliant! :h:

I did see it. <3 Thank you for saying it <3 :hugs:
She's 17! Only 15 months younger than me. :frown: It's horrible because we share a room and all, and most of the time I'm crying to myself in secret so she doesn't hear me. In fact, she has spent the last hour downstairs talking about me to my brother and I've heard every word and she knows I have.

Trust me, most people are selfish idiots aged 17. :tongue: It sucks that you have to share a house with her, let alone a room, but once you have moved out I'd try not to bear a grudge - she's still your sister, and she might start acting like it at some point. She might even miss you!

I know that this might seem a really bad idea, but have you sat down and spoken with her about how you feel? Try and explain to her about depression and what it does to you? (Saying all of this i've chickened out of explaining my situation to my mum loads of times, so I'm probably seeming a bit pathetic telling you to do so...) :hugs: Always here if you wanna chat, i have a younger sister who doesn't understand how i feel to so i know how it feels to always have someone who doesn't understand on your back all the time...

I did see it. <3 Thank you for saying it <3 :hugs:

I have tried, my daddy has tried, and nothing is going in. We think it's because she has never personally experienced it so she doesn't get it and unless it really affects her life in any way she doesn't care.

Thank you anyway. If I had had my way, I wouldn't have even told my daddy. I don't want to bother him much, he has enough to deal with.

Trust me, most people are selfish idiots aged 17. :tongue: It sucks that you have to share a house with her, let alone a room, but once you have moved out I'd try not to bear a grudge - she's still your sister, and she might start acting like it at some point. She might even miss you!

I'll try but it'll be very hard. I do a lot for her, like meet up with her after school to watch her spend her money and shop, I help her with her friends' stupidity, I always have to listen to her rants, and she never give back because she's so self obsessed and thinks the world revolves around her.

congratulations!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Made the mistake of going on facebook earlier and saw that all 4 of the girls I was friends with at school have gone on holiday in Madrid together. They all look so happy together, and they don't even speak to me any more :frown:
I'm not bad thanks - had my morning coffee, and not feeling too crappy today (apart from about election obviously :tongue:). Might get up properly and do some crafting in a bit. :smile:

Glad you're not too bad :hugs: coffee and crafting sound good!
Original post by Odd socks
congratulations!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you <3
ughhhhhhhhhhh :cry2: this is so hard. everything is so hard

Latest