The Student Room Group

Do I need Further Maths?

Okay I'm studying GCSEs right now, but i've started thinking about my options and for many science/engineering degrees people recommend Further Maths. Will it really cause me trouble not to take FM? My problem is that firstly i'm unsure how I would find the course, and also my school has Additional Maths as a mandatory GCSE to take it. Currently I am not signed up for Additional Maths. Do I need FM to get into a top university (like Imperial), and if so should I be trying to get onto the Additional Maths (I recognise it's a hard thing to take on). Cheers.
Most engineering candidates will have Physics, Maths and FM. I encourage you to try and do FM if they wont let you do it at your school next year try find another college that does it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even AS Further Maths will be a big boost to your application and AS is only harder than normal maths by one module (FP1).
Original post by Bobjim12
Even AS Further Maths will be a big boost to your application and AS is only harder than normal maths by one module (FP1).

Okay, so if I took say A2 Chem, A2 Maths, A2 Phys, AS Further Maths, would I be in with a good chance? :biggrin:
Original post by IzzySuperman
Okay, so if I took say A2 Chem, A2 Maths, A2 Phys, AS Further Maths, would I be in with a good chance? :biggrin:

Yes, you have two preferred A levels, a third desirable A level, and a good AS. Make sure that AS is an A though.
Original post by Bobjim12
Yes, you have two preferred A levels, a third desirable A level, and a good AS. Make sure that AS is an A though.

Thanks, you've been really useful :burnout:
Original post by IzzySuperman
Thanks, you've been really useful :burnout:

You're welcome.

Although, if you ever change your mind, FM > Chemistry for Physics, although this shouldn't completely change your decision if you will enjoy Chemistry more.

Good luck!
Reply 7
For Imperial you pretty much need FM.

Quick Reply

Latest