The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Being ID'd

Hi!
I'll still be 17 when I go to uni, so I've been a bit worried about the whole ID business for when I want to go clubbing...
How often to the bars/clubs at Southampton ask for ID? Do they tend to let people in based on the fact they're students?
Original post by lauragold
Hi!
I'll still be 17 when I go to uni, so I've been a bit worried about the whole ID business for when I want to go clubbing...
How often to the bars/clubs at Southampton ask for ID? Do they tend to let people in based on the fact they're students?

All the nightclubs ask for ID. Switch definitely has a machine where they scan your ID so you won't be able to get into there. When I've been to Oceana, they haven't had a machine but have still checked it so you wouldn't be able to get into there (even when it's been student nights etc). Bars like Yates you should be fine getting into it, but sometimes I've been in there and bouncers have been on the door asking for ID - not sure if they do this on certain days/times.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 2
Original post by floralflower
All the nightclubs ask for ID. Switch definitely has a machine where they scan your ID so you won't be able to get into there. When I've been to Oceana, they haven't had a machine but have still checked it so you wouldn't be able to get into there (even when it's been student nights etc). Bars like Yates you should be fine getting into it, but sometimes I've been in there and bouncers have been on the door asking for ID - not sure if they do this on certain days/times.

Thanks for the reply! How hard do you think it'll be to get into one of the clubs that don't have a machine with a fake ID?

Have you ever met someone that's in the same sort of situation?
Thanks for the reply! How hard do you think it'll be to get into one of the clubs that don't have a machine with a fake ID?

Have you ever met someone that's in the same sort of situation?

I don't think it'll be that difficult. When I went to freshers ball they were checking everyone's ID but only looked quickly at the age. I haven't met someone in a similar situation :smile:
Reply 4
I don't think it'll be that difficult. When I went to freshers ball they were checking everyone's ID but only looked quickly at the age. I haven't met someone in a similar situation :smile:

Okey so I might be able to try that then!
Last question (sorry!) what do you think would happen if one of the bouncers found out it's a fake ID?
Reply 5
Last question (sorry!) what do you think would happen if one of the bouncers found out it's a fake ID?

Like every club checks ID, but when I lost my ID, I borrowed my mates for like 4 clubs and got in without a problem, so you could try something like that
Reply 6
Original post by Joshale
Like every club checks ID, but when I lost my ID, I borrowed my mates for like 4 clubs and got in without a problem, so you could try something like that

Didn't she need it to go clubbing too?
Reply 7
How did you get caught?

It's fine haha, my guess would be that they just wouldn't let you in. But I'd definitely see if you could borrow one from someone - less chance of them suspecting anything than if you ordered a fake.
Reply 9
It's fine haha, my guess would be that they just wouldn't let you in. But I'd definitely see if you could borrow one from someone - less chance of them suspecting anything than if you ordered a fake.

Few so no criminal record then :biggrin: yeah, I'm thinking that my main plan will be to borrow one, but seeing as I'll only be under 18 until mid-october, everyone will want to go out and so they'll need there ID
Reply 10

yet another question! do they look at the whole birth date or just the year do you know? because I'll only be a month off, and if I bring my real passport, the machine wont detect fraud
yet another question! do they look at the whole birth date or just the year do you know? because I'll only be a month off, and if I bring my real passport, the machine wont detect fraud

They definitely check all of it, some people born in a certain year will be over 18 and some won't so they need to make sure. :smile:
Reply 12
They definitely check all of it, some people born in a certain year will be over 18 and some won't so they need to make sure. :smile:

oh well I'll just have to wait then, thanks for the help though! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending