The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher English Help

Hey I was wondering if anyone who had done the subject or is doing it now could give me some advice on how to structure the essay? Are you supposed to do it theme per paragraph or in chronological order of the events that happen in the book?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
I am doing AH English this year and it tends to depend highly on the question, but as a general rule it is better to approach it thematically than chronologically.
I usually approach the questions as chronologically as possible; in my opinion, this allows you to develop the themes and the message of your essay with the author. Concentrate on the themes, but follow them chronologically, if that makes sense.
Reply 3
Original post by ImogenDowning1
I am doing AH English this year and it tends to depend highly on the question, but as a general rule it is better to approach it thematically than chronologically.

Thanks! I thought it might be that I've tried it both ways but the course is just so hard!! What texts are you doing for the exam and are you doing the textual analysis?
Original post by LR97
Thanks! I thought it might be that I've tried it both ways but the course is just so hard!! What texts are you doing for the exam and are you doing the textual analysis?

I know what you mean - i am doing Antony and Cleopatra and Othello (Shakespeare) and i did creative writing so no textual analysis.
Reply 5
I know this is so last minute but have any of you done creative writing? if so, can you please help me with ideas for a play?! im desperate!
Reply 6
That's lucky our teacher wouldn't let us do the creative writing folio!
Reply 7
Original post by steph25
I know this is so last minute but have any of you done creative writing? if so, can you please help me with ideas for a play?! im desperate!

Sorry I'm doing the textual analysis. Is anyone doing Thomas Hardy for the exam??
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm doing Shakespeare - Antony and Cleopatra and Othello. Anyone else?
Is anybody doing Plath or Williams???
Reply 10
lol I'm the same but I prefer antony and cleopatra! We took the risk of only learning Shakespeare so if we don't get a good question for that we're screwed!
Same but I didn't think it was too bad
I did Antony and Cleopatra and Othello too (along with Keats, but I just kinda ignored him) and I thought the question was pretty good! I was terrified it was going to be a question on minor characters, so I was very happy to discover that it wasn't :biggrin: How did you all find it?
We studied Wilde and Hardy (although none of us really bothered with Hardy) and although the Wilde question seemed daunting to start with (it mentioned epigrams and we all thought it was asking us entirely about epigrams,) upon further inspection we realised it was asking us about the dandy characters which was an absolutely amazing question!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending