The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths

If my school say that I shouldn't sit my maths exam, Can II still sit it? My School have said that because I got a D in my last mock, they advise that I don't sit the exam as they only want students who possess the skills and knowledge to secure an excellent result to sit the exam... So am I allowed to sit the exam or not based on what they have said.
Thanks in advance.
Original post by Lolpalolpalol
If my school say that I shouldn't sit my maths exam, Can II still sit it? My School have said that because I got a D in my last mock, they advise that I don't sit the exam as they only want students who possess the skills and knowledge to secure an excellent result to sit the exam... So am I allowed to sit the exam or not based on what they have said.
Thanks in advance.

if they have entered you (you have a seat number/its on ur exam timetable) you can sit it no matter what they say

besides most people dont do well in mocks anyway

p.s ur school is a bit dodge wth, youve studied a subject and went to your lessons for a year now they say you cant sit it?!
If you want to sit the exam, tell them that you want to sit the exam and insist upon it. If you do not want to sit the exam do not sit it. Your school should not decide who sits which exam because they want the grades of their students to look good for potential pupils and their parents.
Original post by yasmin#2
if they have entered you (you have a seat number/its on ur exam timetable) you can sit it no matter what they say

besides most people dont do well in mocks anyway

p.s ur school is a bit dodge wth, youve studied a subject and went to your lessons for a year now they say you cant sit it?!

Thanks for that, just wanted clarification, yeah my C1 Maths exam is on Wednesday and I received a letter saying that I cannot sit it. Load of rubbish tbh. They are dodge... I will move for A2 though, not staying there.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
If you want to sit the exam, tell them that you want to sit the exam and insist upon it. If you do not want to sit the exam do not sit it. Your school should not decide who sits which exam because they want the grades of their students to look good for potential pupils and their parents.

Yeah thats what I was thinking, its all about league tables isnt it? Stupid Sixth Form. Thanks :smile:
Yeah thats what I was thinking, its all about league tables isnt it? Stupid Sixth Form. Thanks :smile:

When I went into sixth form I was banned from doing further maths as they thought I would be getting no better than an E. In spite of this I self taught it, continued to pester them to let me do it and by January of AS they let me join the bottom further maths set.

Now I have offers from UCL, Warwick, Bristol of Bath (Warwick firm, Bath backup) to study maths and got predicted A*A* in M and FM, a lot of schools will be like that but if you really want to take the exam, work for it and prove them wrong!
Thanks for that, just wanted clarification, yeah my C1 Maths exam is on Wednesday and I received a letter saying that I cannot sit it. Load of rubbish tbh. They are dodge... I will move for A2 though, not staying there.

no worries, if they dont want you to sit it they should have told you 3 months before!
thats totally unfair, your uni choices may depend on you having 4 AS grades
unfortunately its too late for you to do it as a private candidate but your school may be able to re-enter you , heres what it says on the edexcel website:
'If you miss the entry deadline, you can still make entries by EDI or Edexcel Online, but you will be charged late fees'

i think you should get a parent to complain and maybe they can enter you again, best of luck whatever happens x
Original post by Jai Sandhu
When I went into sixth form I was banned from doing further maths as they thought I would be getting no better than an E. In spite of this I self taught it, continued to pester them to let me do it and by January of AS they let me join the bottom further maths set.

Now I have offers from UCL, Warwick, Bristol of Bath (Warwick firm, Bath backup) to study maths and got predicted A*A* in M and FM, a lot of schools will be like that but if you really want to take the exam, work for it and prove them wrong!

Just read a bit of the letter that says that they have already withdrawn me and that the meeting is to discuss other options :/
no worries, if they dont want you to sit it they should have told you 3 months before!
thats totally unfair, your uni choices may depend on you having 4 AS grades
unfortunately its too late for you to do it as a private candidate but your school may be able to re-enter you , heres what it says on the edexcel website:
'If you miss the entry deadline, you can still make entries by EDI or Edexcel Online, but you will be charged late fees'

i think you should get a parent to complain and maybe they can enter you again, best of luck whatever happens x

Just read a bit of the letter that says that they have already withdrawn me and that the meeting is to discuss other options :/ also I only have 3 atm as dropped french... also cant do it again next year as everything is linear for A-levels like GCSE, all exams are at the end of the 2 years. :|
Just read a bit of the letter that says that they have already withdrawn me and that the meeting is to discuss other options :/ also I only have 3 atm as dropped french... also cant do it again next year as everything is linear for A-levels like GCSE, all exams are at the end of the 2 years. :|

all alevel exams are at the end of 2 years
so if you wanted to do maths only to AS you would sit that in the first year and it would count as a separate qualification, so you can do the AS next year :smile:
all alevel exams are at the end of 2 years
so if you wanted to do maths only to AS you would sit that in the first year and it would count as a separate qualification, so you can do the AS next year :smile:

but i need the full a level and still that leaves me with 2 A-Levels.... :/

do all 3 of your the AS's youre doing now next year to A2
and also do maths AS next year so 3A levels + 1 AS like everyone else
do all 3 of your the AS's youre doing now next year to A2
and also do maths AS next year so 3A levels + 1 AS like everyone else

I currently do Maths, Media and ICT. If I lose Maths then I am left with Media and ICT at AS Levels which I will continue into A2. For my year, we cannot redo AS exams as there isn't any AS exams next year, its all going to be at the end of the 2 years. So for Maths in september, for the Year 11s its C1,C2,S1,C3,C4 and S2 at the end of Year 13.

Basically I will be left with 2 AS's to put on my UCAS.

At my school we dont do AS levels in the first year, we do A2's and AS's all at the end of 2 years, so maybe you could do that?
I currently do Maths, Media and ICT. If I lose Maths then I am left with Media and ICT at AS Levels which I will continue into A2. For my year, we cannot redo AS exams as there isn't any AS exams next year, its all going to be at the end of the 2 years. So for Maths in september, for the Year 11s its C1,C2,S1,C3,C4 and S2 at the end of Year 13.

Basically I will be left with 2 AS's to put on my UCAS.

Maths remains modular until the students who start study in 2017.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
Maths remains modular until the students who start study in 2017.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, I may have to see what my options are then... I may have to redo all of AS year again.

Quick Reply

Latest