The Student Room Group

Has anyone here ever done 10 A Levels at once?

Or anything from more than 6 at one time - something beyond the realms of average people. I suspect that this is less common now since there only being January exams.

If so, how hard did you work, did you actually enjoy the work etc.

Scroll to see replies

I personally have not, however I friend of mine who got 13 A*'s started off doing 6. Got so bogged down in the work dropped 2 of them and feels so much better about doing so, dont do more than 4 (maybe 5 if you do M an FM), it is just overkill and the tangible benefits of doing more are negligible compared to the costs mentally and socially of doing so many.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q
Here's me complaining about 4
Also in hindsight I wish i dropped Economics to AS, I absolutely hate the subject and takes away time from important exams (anything maths) as I dont want to outright fail it (doing M, FM, Phys and Econ).
Reply 4
Yeah go do 10, and miss out on all the social experiences you get at this stage of your life in exchange for more grades. What university is going to reject someone because they don't have more than 4 A levels? Are you actually insane? Some schools don't even allow their students to do 10 GCSEs. 10 As doesn't make you any better or more rounded of a person. More grades than the next person does not necessarily make you any more desirable. The only thing you'll be take in exchange for 6 unnecessary grades is some sort of arrogant self achievement that you are better than "average" people. How about instead of all those extra subjects, you go and get yourself a job, or some lengthy work experience, go and see how the world works. You can't learn everything from A levels.
Yes, several people have. To be honest it wouldn't be a particularly impressive intellectual achievement but I would respect the determination. To be honest though, if you want to do something beyond - at most - 5 or 6 A levels, I would take some Open University courses or something.
It is called university
Not 10 A levels but I have done/ doing 6 :smile: but three of em r languages that I can speak fluently so they don't really count lol :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did 7 AS's... But dropped down to 3 A levels...
Original post by TheIrrational
I did 7 AS's... But dropped down to 3 A levels...

Lol.

Original post by Ruby_1696
Not 10 A levels but I have done/ doing 6 :smile: but three of em r languages that I can speak fluently so they don't really count lol :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still counts, how have you found is the best approach to learn new languages, I do it by watching tv shows in foreign languages but it is difficult in England to do so.
Reply 10
Are you joking? I'm doing 5
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Lol.

Still counts, how have you found is the best approach to learn new languages, I do it by watching tv shows in foreign languages but it is difficult in England to do so.

Haha I suppose :biggrin: well my Im part Irish, part Arab and part Russian. So these languages are all spoken at home haha. Except swap Russian for French :tongue: best approach is actually going to the country in which the language is spoken. But yeah TV shows and music in foreign languages is a great way too! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
All of the people I know who do more than 5 AS or A-levels are quite sad, their lives filled with nothing but revision. Fair play to them if they do well but they are truly missing out on a fun childhood.
Original post by Mr.Samba
All of the people I know who do more than 5 AS or A-levels are quite sad, their lives filled with nothing but revision. Fair play to them if they do well but they are truly missing out on a fun childhood.

Not true :biggrin: I am rather social if I say so myself. My life isn't fully filled with revision !!! I like having fun too Haahaa :biggrin: not everyone that does more than 5 A levels are considered unsociable geeks/nerds who need a reality check... just saying :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
To completely honest, no university really expects you to have more than 3 complete A-Levels and 1 AS, in fact, most require you to do 3 A-Levels and only a few ever look at your 4th AS.
No.

I thought 5 was overkill.
Original post by Ruby_1696
Not true :biggrin: I am rather social if I say so myself. My life isn't fully filled with revision !!! I like having fun too Haahaa :biggrin: not everyone that does more than 5 A levels are considered unsociable geeks/nerds who need a reality check... just saying :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course it doesn't apply to everyone :biggrin:
Original post by Jai Sandhu
I personally have not, however I friend of mine who got 13 A*'s started off doing 6. Got so bogged down in the work dropped 2 of them and feels so much better about doing so, dont do more than 4 (maybe 5 if you do M an FM), it is just overkill and the tangible benefits of doing more are negligible compared to the costs mentally and socially of doing so many.

A boy in the year above me got 15 a stars at gcse then got 6 a stars in a level, granted its a good school but i think 4 is too much and yhat is what iam doing now, armire the gumption of those who do more.
Original post by BioStudentx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q
Here's me complaining about 4

He is an inspiration to us all
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Also in hindsight I wish i dropped Economics to AS, I absolutely hate the subject and takes away time from important exams (anything maths) as I dont want to outright fail it (doing M, FM, Phys and Econ).

Wow nice combo
Original post by 2015ld
Yeah go do 10, and miss out on all the social experiences you get at this stage of your life in exchange for more grades. What university is going to reject someone because they don't have more than 4 A levels? Are you actually insane? Some schools don't even allow their students to do 10 GCSEs. 10 As doesn't make you any better or more rounded of a person. More grades than the next person does not necessarily make you any more desirable. The only thing you'll be take in exchange for 6 unnecessary grades is some sort of arrogant self achievement that you are better than "average" people. How about instead of all those extra subjects, you go and get yourself a job, or some lengthy work experience, go and see how the world works. You can't learn everything from A levels.

So much wrong with what you said.
Original post by ByronicHero
Yes, several people have. To be honest it wouldn't be a particularly impressive intellectual achievement but I would respect the determination. To be honest though, if you want to do something beyond - at most - 5 or 6 A levels, I would take some Open University courses or something.

I think it would.
Original post by a-98
Are you joking? I'm doing 5

It is not unheard of, I am only doing 4, since I am a weak peasent.
Original post by TheMadHatteress
My friend knows a guy who's doing 8 AS levels. Don't really see the point lol
and I know a girl who's doing six- She doesn't really do anything except study tbh maybe fb once a day... She studies until four in the morning. :/

Admire the effort.
Original post by Mr.Samba

Even if one were to do 3 a levels you still have to work hard in them to do well.
Original post by SecretDuck
No.

I thought 5 was overkill.

lol
Original post by db_F40

lol he got a c in maths

CIE as well wow!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by db_F40

lol he got a c in maths

It was general further mathematics. Which is even harder than the impossible further mathematics. What is funny though is that he wasn't even mildly close to a first in Cambridge. He went to Cambridge and got absolutely destroyed by other students.

Quick Reply

Latest