The Student Room Group

OCR F581 Markets in Action - 11 May 2015

Scroll to see replies

If 18 marker is on Trade-able pollution permits can you incorporate a negative externalities diagram into it, and if so would it be the negative production one or consumption? thanks
Original post by Tommehh
If 18 marker is on Trade-able pollution permits can you incorporate a negative externalities diagram into it, and if so would it be the negative production one or consumption? thanks

Production one and use it to show the size of externality which is internalised by the permit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes if the government reduces the amount of permits in the market, as the gov. controls the quantity traded of permits. They may reduce the amount gradually over time to encourage firms to invest in greener technology.
Original post by clara16
Production one and use it to show the size of externality which is internalised by the permit

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for clearing that up!
Anyone got any idea what they think might come up this year, especially for the essay?
Original post by luk3miller
Sorry if it's been posted before, but does anybody have a link to the F581 January 2014 question paper?

There are no more january papers. lol but you can find a link to the june 2014 paper in the google docs which has been made
Another Question. Can allocative efficiency, defined as when 'consumer satisfaction is maximised', be applied to negative externalities considering they effect third parties and not the 'consumer' directly and so in reducing a Neg.Ext. the private costs to the consumer are not applicable. ??? (another terribly constructed question... I hope someone understands what I am on about!)
Reply 907
Original post by azo
Can someone please tell me the diagram for merit/demerit goods? Is it just pos/neg externality arising from consumption diagrams?

There are different diagrams depending on what solution you're using to correct the externality
Original post by clara16

Posted from TSR Mobile

you don't need to do a negative externality diagram, not expected from candidates if the question refers to tradable pollution permits
Original post by keynes24
you don't need to do a negative externality diagram, not expected from candidates if the question refers to tradable pollution permits

Surely it would help gain L3 marks as the whole point of a pollution permit is to internalise an externality?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 910
Keynes, what diagrams would we need to draw to get all the marks? (for a TP essay)
Reply 911
Original post by BigFreakyGinger
Another Question. Can allocative efficiency, defined as when 'consumer satisfaction is maximised', be applied to negative externalities considering they effect third parties and not the 'consumer' directly and so in reducing a Neg.Ext. the private costs to the consumer are not applicable. ??? (another terribly constructed question... I hope someone understands what I am on about!)

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but if you use one of the solutions to correct a negative externality - e.g. indirect tax, this pushes up the price, so demand will fall to the socially efficient level, thus making the market more allocatively efficient?

I don't know if that helps, but...
Original post by clara16
Surely it would help gain L3 marks as the whole point of a pollution permit is to internalise an externality?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it is not needed, the expected diagram is D/S. Whether you do more is another thing. Explaining that negative externalities would be internalise or lowering overconsumption and reaching allocative efficiency would help you reach L3 Band 2. Check the latest mark scheme to get my point.
Original post by KhamZ_98
There are no more january papers. lol but you can find a link to the june 2014 paper in the google docs which has been made

Oh my bad, thanks
Reply 914
Original post by aoxa
There are different diagrams depending on what solution you're using to correct the externality

The diagram showcasing a demerit/merit good.
And what's the diagram if it's corrected by information provision ?
Original post by Egg1
Has it ever been an essay topic before? If so can you link the markscheme/ tell me the year?

Wrong wording, sorry. It's only been proposed as an alternative policy, but they haven't actually included any info for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 916
Original post by azo
The diagram showcasing a demerit/merit good.
And what's the diagram if it's corrected by information provision ?

Well there is no diagram specifically for a (de)merit good, but if a question came up on the exam for it, as (de)merit goods cause externalities, we've been taught to do a negative externality diagram for a demerit, and positive externality diagram for a merit good.

For provision of information, it's a basic price/quantity on the axises, and normal demand (D1)/supply and the equilibrium. For a demerit good, this causes a left shift in demand (D2), as quantity demanded has fallen. For a merit good, it causes a right shift in demand (D2), as quantity demanded has risen as a result of information provision.

Hope this helped :smile:
Business significance of XED?
Reply 918
Original post by aoxa
Well there is no diagram specifically for a (de)merit good, but if a question came up on the exam for it, as (de)merit goods cause externalities, we've been taught to do a negative externality diagram for a demerit, and positive externality diagram for a merit good.

For provision of information, it's a basic price/quantity on the axises, and normal demand (D1)/supply and the equilibrium. For a demerit good, this causes a left shift in demand (D2), as quantity demanded has fallen. For a merit good, it causes a right shift in demand (D2), as quantity demanded has risen as a result of information provision.

Hope this helped :smile:

Nice thanks, this is what I thought but better to be safe than sorry!
Good luck for the exam, hope it goes well!
Original post by keynes24
it is not needed, the expected diagram is D/S. Whether you do more is another thing. Explaining that negative externalities would be internalise or lowering overconsumption and reaching allocative efficiency would help you reach L3 Band 2. Check the latest mark scheme to get my point.

please put me out of my misery , im stressed about the TP diagram! My teacher said just draw a vertical supply curve and normal D curve and explain how it works - no need for shifts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending