The Student Room Group

Please help me!

Cardiff University vs Queen's University Belfast, University of East Anglia vs University of Liverpool

Hi, I'm currently studying Year 1 Law degree in Malaysia and I got the offer letters from these universities to further study my Year2&3 in UK. May I know which one should I put it as my firm choice (the former one) and which universities should I put it as my insurance choice? (the latter one)
Thanks.
Original post by Queeny Ding
Cardiff University vs Queen's University Belfast, University of East Anglia vs University of Liverpool

Hi, I'm currently studying Year 1 Law degree in Malaysia and I got the offer letters from these universities to further study my Year2&3 in UK. May I know which one should I put it as my firm choice (the former one) and which universities should I put it as my insurance choice? (the latter one)
Thanks.

Hi there.

In my opinion, I would probably put Liverpool or Cardiff as your firm, and perhaps Queen's University Belfast as your insurance. All of the ones I've listed are Russell Group universities, so I would consider them first. UEA isn't bad for their law programme, but I wouldn't rank it as better than the other universities.

I've seen from other threads that the reputation of Liverpool is declining, given the vast number of students that attend the school for the law programme. With respect to its reputation, I would consider it carefully, especially if you are not too fond of taking classes with a large group of people. Otherwise, I'd think Liverpool would be a pretty good choice; just not regarded as good as other established Russell Group universities in terms of law.

I hope that helps! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by zero_Gravity91
Hi there.

In my opinion, I would probably put Liverpool or Cardiff as your firm, and perhaps Queen's University Belfast as your insurance. All of the ones I've listed are Russell Group universities, so I would consider them first. UEA isn't bad for their law programme, but I wouldn't rank it as better than the other universities.

I've seen from other threads that the reputation of Liverpool is declining, given the vast number of students that attend the school for the law programme. With respect to its reputation, I would consider it carefully, especially if you are not too fond of taking classes with a large group of people. Otherwise, I'd think Liverpool would be a pretty good choice; just not regarded as good as other established Russell Group universities in terms of law.

I hope that helps! :smile:

Thanks for the reply! May I know that is it UEA in the Russell Group? And what make you think that to put Queen's in insurance choice instead of Cardiff or Liverpool?
Thanks for the reply! May I know that is it UEA in the Russell Group? And what make you think that to put Queen's in insurance choice instead of Cardiff or Liverpool?

If I am not mistaken, UEA is not part of the Russell Group. However, it is one of the universities that was part of the 1994 Group (which has since disbanded).

QUB isn't as highly ranked as Cardiff or Liverpool, which is why I would put it as insurance instead of firm. In addition, it is located in Northern Ireland, which is a different jurisdiction than England and Wales, so their laws would be slightly different. However, they do teach English law as well, so your degree will still be considered a qualifying law degree and you would be able to work as a solicitor or barrister in England and Wales.
Reply 4
If I am not mistaken, UEA is not part of the Russell Group. However, it is one of the universities that was part of the 1994 Group (which has since disbanded).

QUB isn't as highly ranked as Cardiff or Liverpool, which is why I would put it as insurance instead of firm. In addition, it is located in Northern Ireland, which is a different jurisdiction than England and Wales, so their laws would be slightly different. However, they do teach English law as well, so your degree will still be considered a qualifying law degree and you would be able to work as a solicitor or barrister in England and Wales.

Wow! Thanks for your opinion. Now I know which universities should I choose. :smile:
Wow! Thanks for your opinion. Now I know which universities should I choose. :smile:

No problem! Which ones are you going to choose as your firm and insurance?
Reply 6
No problem! Which ones are you going to choose as your firm and insurance?

Probably Cardiff will be my firm and Liverpool will be my insurance. :smile:
Probably Cardiff will be my firm and Liverpool will be my insurance. :smile:

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 8
Best of luck! :smile:

Thank you so much. :smile:
Thank you so much. :smile:

No problem! Glad to be of help! :smile:

Quick Reply