The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chuckbeansy
NOTTINGHAM CALLED ME TODAY AND THEY HAVE CHANGED MY REJECTION TO A CONDITIONAL OFFER!!!!! I have absolutely no idea why they changed their mind, I'm just totally delighted that they did! Four rejections have become three rejections and ONE OFFER!!!!!! (and it was always my favourite too!)

Awesome news, many congratulations! :biggrin: Best of luck for your upcoming exams :smile:
Thanks everyone (and LTC who I can't rate because I've rated too often!) I honestly cannot believe what's happened today. I think I've felt every emotion since this process began on October 15th but this is DEFINITELY the best one yet! Now just got to get the grades...!
Reply 7102
OMG!!!!! RVC OFFER!! Got rejected months ago and had all but accepted a gap year! SO SO SO HAPPY!!! 😀😀😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7103
Original post by Sax123
OMG!!!!! RVC OFFER!! Got rejected months ago and had all but accepted a gap year! SO SO SO HAPPY!!! 😀😀😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

me too omg could not believe it !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sax123
OMG!!!!! RVC OFFER!! Got rejected months ago and had all but accepted a gap year! SO SO SO HAPPY!!!

Original post by krb97
me too omg could not believe it !!!

Well done to you both, I'm so pleased :biggrin: Now go ace some exams! :biggrin:
Original post by chuckbeansy
NOTTINGHAM CALLED ME TODAY AND THEY HAVE CHANGED MY REJECTION TO A CONDITIONAL OFFER!!!!! I have absolutely no idea why they changed their mind, I'm just totally delighted that they did! Four rejections have become three rejections and ONE OFFER!!!!!! (and it was always my favourite too!)

Wooooo! Congrats! See you in September! :smile:
What number of A* is good at gcse for doing vet med

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oli19919

Posted from TSR Mobile

People have variable numbers! GCSEs are important but arguably not as important as AS levels in England, so mostly A*-A is probably a benchmark to aim for; however people have gotten in before with lower GCSEs, so I wouldn't worry!

To add on to what Mollyvet has said, as long as you meet the minimum requirements (which can be found on university websites), GCSEs aren't really used that much in your application*; your A2 predictions, personal statement and work experience are far more important. Usually they'll check whether an applicant got the grades, and if they didn't they reject them. Everyone that did goes through and has an equal playing field from there, as far as I know. In grade requirements universities don't seem to distinguish between As and A*s anyway, for example Liverpool want a minimum of 10 points, where B=1 point and A/A* = 2 points.

*Exceptions to the rule are Bristol, which use your GCSE grades as 15% of your app. Cambridge also don't have explicit requirements that I'm aware of, but they tend to value academics very highly as you can imagine.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
To add on to what Mollyvet has said, as long as you meet the minimum requirements (which can be found on university websites), GCSEs aren't really used that much in your application*; your A2 predictions, personal statement and work experience are far more important. Usually they'll check whether an applicant got the grades, and if they didn't they reject them. Everyone that did goes through and has an equal playing field from there, as far as I know. In grade requirements universities don't seem to distinguish between As and A*s anyway, for example Liverpool want a minimum of 10 points, where B=1 point and A/A* = 2 points.

*Exceptions to the rule are Bristol, which use your GCSE grades as 15% of your app. Cambridge also don't have explicit requirements that I'm aware of, but they tend to value academics very highly as you can imagine.

Ok thanks a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyvet
People have variable numbers! GCSEs are important but arguably not as important as AS levels in England, so mostly A*-A is probably a benchmark to aim for; however people have gotten in before with lower GCSEs, so I wouldn't worry!

Great thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

At my school they said you had nearly no chance with less than 5A*s. There will always be exceptions.. But truth is, most people applying will have at least this so the more the better. I got 6A*s then ABB at a level and have done a degree in medical pharmacology and got offers from all 4 vet schools I applied to.. So don't panic if you haven't got 12A*s.. It's still possible with just a handful!
Original post by qwertyhg
At my school they said you had nearly no chance with less than 5A*s. There will always be exceptions.. But truth is, most people applying will have at least this so the more the better. I got 6A*s then ABB at a level and have done a degree in medical pharmacology and got offers from all 4 vet schools I applied to.. So don't panic if you haven't got 12A*s.. It's still possible with just a handful!

I got no A*s at GCSE and I got in so I really don't think it matters too much as long as you have the minimum requirement :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7113
This time last week I had 4 rejections (3 post interview) and was just about to start planning a gap year. Last Thursday I received an offer from RVC, Saturday was my 18th and today I got an offer from Glasgow fair to say it's been a pretty good past few days !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For most of the universities you have to have a minimum of 5 A's or higher at GCSE, otherwise they will not look at your application however good your predicted grades are. This is what I was told by Bristol, nottingham and liverpool

I only got 2A* and I have a place at three unis ☺️☺️☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Schools are notoriously bad at not knowing anything about vet applications :tongue: I have less than five and also got four offers. Some people get in with none. They don't really differentiate between A and A* as far as I can tell.

Original post by krb97
This time last week I had 4 rejections (3 post interview) and was just about to start planning a gap year. Last Thursday I received an offer from RVC, Saturday was my 18th and today I got an offer from Glasgow fair to say it's been a pretty good past few days !!

Wooo! Congratulations! Awesome 18th birthday presents eh :wink: Best of luck for your exams :smile:
Reply 7117

Conversely I got 9 and only 1 offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have one A* and three A's at GCSE, and got two offers for vet med and an unconditional for gateway this year.. I'd say as long as you have the minimum requirements and a strong application in other areas anything is possible! Good luck!
Original post by mollyvet

I had one A* and I've got an offer

Quick Reply

Latest