The Student Room Group

Predictions for AQA PSYB1/2

Hey!

Well the psyb1 exam is in two days! I was wondering if anyone had any predictions on the likely essay questions that would come up, based on past years?

Good luck for the exam!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think the biological approach may come up as a 10 marker!
Reply 2
Original post by bharp
I think the biological approach may come up as a 10 marker!

If it did come up, what would your AO1 and AO2 be?
Reply 3
AO1: -would include how biology is applied to mental processes and behaviour.
-how behaviour is determined by genes (and how twin studies support this), hormones, brain abnormalities eg.Phineas Gage how his behaviour changed, the nervous system, chromosomes eg. Turner & Klinefetters syndromes
-maybe include a study such as Bock & Goode
-phenotype/genotype

AO2: -reductionist, ignores environmental influences eg. why can twins behave differently?
-determinisitc, biological determinism, humans have no free will (compare to humanistic)
-uses experiments meaning that we can see reliable results, it is falsifiable, we can see cause and effect. (Yet we could see disadvantages for experiments as they lack ecological validity)
-has practical applications such as development of drugs for conditions such as depression, autism, schizophrenia and if these drugs are effective, it shows that the condition has a biological basis. Can also be applied to gene therapy.

Also other points may include how it is the nature side of the nature-nuture debate and comparing with other approaches can give AO2 marks but comparisons are more effective when they ask for them in the question.
Cant really think of much else, don't really like this approach at all! Hope this helps though!
Reply 4
Does anyone know how to get all the marks on the 3 mark questions? Sometimes I get 1 mark or other times I get 2 - But 3 is difficult!
Reply 5
If it is distinguishing between two things such as sex and gender
1 mark = definition of sex
1 mark = definition of gender
1 mark = difference
What does everyone think the gender 10 marker will be?
Reply 7
I think it will be the psychodynamic explanations of gender development !
Reply 8
Original post by livvyjones
What does everyone think the gender 10 marker will be?

I think it will be psychodynamic explanations
Reply 9
Original post by bharp
AO1: -would include how biology is applied to mental processes and behaviour.
-how behaviour is determined by genes (and how twin studies support this), hormones, brain abnormalities eg.Phineas Gage how his behaviour changed, the nervous system, chromosomes eg. Turner & Klinefetters syndromes
-maybe include a study such as Bock & Goode
-phenotype/genotype

AO2: -reductionist, ignores environmental influences eg. why can twins behave differently?
-determinisitc, biological determinism, humans have no free will (compare to humanistic)
-uses experiments meaning that we can see reliable results, it is falsifiable, we can see cause and effect. (Yet we could see disadvantages for experiments as they lack ecological validity)
-has practical applications such as development of drugs for conditions such as depression, autism, schizophrenia and if these drugs are effective, it shows that the condition has a biological basis. Can also be applied to gene therapy.

Also other points may include how it is the nature side of the nature-nuture debate and comparing with other approaches can give AO2 marks but comparisons are more effective when they ask for them in the question.
Cant really think of much else, don't really like this approach at all! Hope this helps though!

Thanks so much! And yeah, the biological approach is definitely my least favourite, there's just too much.

What are your predictions for the gender essay?
Original post by Cuisle
I think it will be the psychodynamic explanations of gender development !

Has the psychodynamic approach not come up recently?
Reply 11
Well in 2011 I think x
Reply 12
I think cognitive has come up a lot in gender development so I doubt that would be a possibility x
Original post by Cuisle
I think cognitive has come up a lot in gender development so I doubt that would be a possibility x

Yeah it came up last year, so it can't come up this year. Deffo.
That leaves, biological, behaviourist, psychodynamic, humanistic and social learning.
Reply 14
For gender development I don't think behaviourist or humanistic come into it
Reply 15
I'm screwed. I have no idea how to remember names and studies :frown:
Original post by AlexaRivers
Yeah it came up last year, so it can't come up this year. Deffo.
That leaves, biological, behaviourist, psychodynamic, humanistic and social learning.

no only biological, psychodynamic and social learning as you don't learn about humanistic and behaviourist explanations
Original post by Cuisle
I'm screwed. I have no idea how to remember names and studies :frown:

To be honest I'm not focusing muh on studies, because unless they specify to use evidence, you don't need to include studies. But I guess they're easy AO1 marks so...
Original post by livvyjones
no only biological, psychodynamic and social learning as you don't learn about humanistic and behaviourist explanations

True 😆
Reply 19
Original post by AlexaRivers
True ������

If you were doing biological explainations of gender development what would you write

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending