The Student Room Group

AQA A 12 mark HEELPPPPPPP

When for writing a 12 marker on a theory say for example the multi store model and i write about the key features in AO1 and i then write about some studies for AO2 e.g. Murdoch would i have to evaluate that study or do i just write about the aim, procedures, findings and conclusion? To me it doesnt make sense to evaluate the study as the question is about the multi store model and not research. Hope this makes sense :smile:
On a 12 mark question like that, you would outline the details of multi store model. Who concocted it, SM, STM, LTM, what they do etc. Then for the ao2, evaluation, you would talk about the strengths and weaknesses of the study. You dont need to talk about the aims etc.

Hope this helps
Good luck 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by undine_monty
On a 12 mark question like that, you would outline the details of multi store model. Who concocted it, SM, STM, LTM, what they do etc. Then for the ao2, evaluation, you would talk about the strengths and weaknesses of the study. You dont need to talk about the aims etc.

Hope this helps
Good luck 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, so i would write about the strengths and weaknesses of the multi store model. But say I used a study as a strength of the multi store model because it supports its predictions.When outlining that study would i just write about the procedure, findings and conclusion (like why its supports the MSM) or? My teacher always tells us to write aim, procedure, findings, conclusion and criticism but that might just be for when the question asks us to outline and evaluate RESEARCH I'm not sure. What would you include for the study?

Thank you and good luck to you as well if you're sitting the exam :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by H.i
When for writing a 12 marker on a theory say for example the multi store model and i write about the key features in AO1 and i then write about some studies for AO2 e.g. Murdoch would i have to evaluate that study or do i just write about the aim, procedures, findings and conclusion? To me it doesnt make sense to evaluate the study as the question is about the multi store model and not research. Hope this makes sense :smile:

hi,
if i was to approach a question about the multi store model, lets say, outline and evaluate the multi store model, then here is how i would go about answering the Q. obviously we have to include equal amounts of AO1 and AO2 to gain the full 12 marks. so i would first go about outlining each store which is the core foundation of Atkinson and Shiffrin's model (that would be my Ao1 complete).

For the Ao2, i would firstly evaluate the model itself, mentioning the strengths and weaknesses of the multi store model. i would then use studies such as the glanzer and cunitz to back up my points with regards to the strengths and weaknesses of the model. The glanzer and cunitz study suggests the LTM and STM as separate stores as proposed by Atikinson and Shiffrin so i would use this study in support of the multi store model. so for Ao2 part of this Q i wouldn't outline the studies or evaluate them but use them to evaluate the central focus of the question, so in this instance, the multi store model. however you can evaluate the study to go against a point, for eg, you could say that so and so study only used male participants and therefor caution has to be taken when generalizing and therefore its not a substantial piece of research.

sorry if i dont make sense.
hope this helped

good luck and all the best for your exams
Original post by H.i
Right, so i would write about the strengths and weaknesses of the multi store model. But say I used a study as a strength of the multi store model because it supports its predictions.When outlining that study would i just write about the procedure, findings and conclusion (like why its supports the MSM) or? My teacher always tells us to write aim, procedure, findings, conclusion and criticism but that might just be for when the question asks us to outline and evaluate RESEARCH I'm not sure. What would you include for the study?

Thank you and good luck to you as well if you're sitting the exam :smile:

Ohhh, I understand what u mean now. My teachers used to say that as well with the aim, procedure thing. I got a revision guide which already has that like simplified so I only have to remember it.

Yes, u have to talk about the aim, procedure etc when talking about studies.

In the A01 part of the 12 mark questions, thats describing the multi store model.
The A02 is where you begin to evaluate.

My evaluation points would be:
1. The MSM was influential, motivating research leading to later theories such as the WMM. Evidence also supports the existence of the 3 permanent storage systems, SM, STM, LTM.

2.The model is over-simplistic stating the existence of a single STM and LTM store. Research suggests that there are STM stores for non-verbal and verbal sounds as well as multiple LTM stores for procedural, episodic and semantic memory stores.

3.It focuses too much on describing the structure of memory and neglects the importance of the memory processes.

Im sorry for confusing you :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Thank you guys sooooo much! Good luck with your exams :smile:
I'm doing aqa sociology and i find the 12 mark questions really hard:/
Reply 7
Original post by Sumeira.B
I'm doing aqa sociology and i find the 12 mark questions really hard:/

I would love to help but i don't do sociology. Have you tried posting in the Sociology forum i think you would be able to get more help there :smile:
Original post by H.i
I would love to help but i don't do sociology. Have you tried posting in the Sociology forum i think you would be able to get more help there :smile:

Thank you :smile:
I'm in your boat, thanks for asking this question! Good luck tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by ShootingStar_
I'm in your boat, thanks for asking this question! Good luck tomorrow :biggrin:

Thank you! Good luck to you as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending