The Student Room Group

London Anti-Austerity Protest Turns Nasty

Hi all,

Protests in London about austerity and yesterday's result are being tweeted about without major news coverage.

Follow the events on Twitter: https://twitter.com/search?q=London%20Protests&src=typd

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/whitehall-protest-outrage-as-vandals-daub-graffiti-on-world-war-two-statue-ahead-of-ve-day-concert-10238870.html

Evening Standard
Vandals sparked outrage by daubing graffiti on a statue commemorating the role of women in World War Two during a celebration to mark the 70th anniversary of VE Day.

The graffiti - which read "F*** Tory scum" - was sprayed onto a statue by protesters as they marched on Downing Street.Police said they attended an "unplanned anti-austerity protest" on Whitehall on Saturday afternoon as demonstrators reacted to the Conservatives' shock election victory.

Dozens of activists chanted "get the Tories out" as Whitehall was shut for several hours during the demonstration on Saturday afternoon.The spray-painted message sparked fury online as people made their way to a star-studded 1940s-themed concert hosted by the Royal British Legion.

Whitehall protest: Activists outside Downing Street on Saturday (Picture: Twitter/@nickhaley)

One person tweeted: "Can't believe the protesters in London have sprayed graffiti on a World War II Memorial to Women."

Another, Karen Kilby, wrote: "How can you possibly think it's ok to graffiti a memorial."

Another Twitter user posted that "defacing war memorials is indefensible", while Alison Parr said: "I can't stand Tory cut backs etc..but someone at the demonstration sprayed graffiti on the Memorial. That's bad".

The image began circulating online as hundreds of anti-austerity protesters clashed with police outside the gates of Downing Street.

Police are getting violent, starting to kettle protestors outside Downing Street pic.twitter.com/xeV0EuM4lr Shelly Asquith (@ShellyAsquith) May 9, 2015

Activists complained of being "kettled" by police during the demonstration in the lead-up to tonight's concert, which will be broadcast on BBC One and Radio 2.

Stars including Katherine Jenkins, Pixie Lott and Status Quo are among those set to perform at the concert, organised by the Royal British Legion, at Horse Guards Parade.

A Met Police spokesman said there were no arrests so far at today's demonstration.

Stuck in a kettle at Whitehall, Police in riot gear using excessive force on protesters. The people are undeterred. pic.twitter.com/RK4M9b57Tn righttoprotest (@righttoprotest) May 9, 2015

He added: "Officers are working to minimise disruption to all road users and members of the public passing through the area."

It is unclear who the protest was organised by.

Whitehall is CLOSED northbound next to Downing Street because of an impromptu protest outside pic.twitter.com/IkoEarhDWh Nick Haley (@nickhaley) May 9, 2015

One planned march on Downing Street, which was set to be attended by thousands of campaigners, was said to have been cancelled after David Cameron's Conservatives swept to a majority in Thursday's election.

The protest, organised by anti-austerity group The People's Assembly, had been planned to oust the Prime Minister amid claims the Tories were planning to "occupy Downing Street" even if they did not win a majority.

Its Facebook page attracted more than 16,000 planned attendees, and claimed that the Conservatives were "planning to declare that they are the legitimate government and have the right to form an administration".

But in the wake of Thursday's shock election result, the event was apparently cancelled as questions of the Conservatives' right to remain in power were dispelled when the party won a narrow Commons majority.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ooh! The formatting turned nasty! Give me a sec to try and pop it back in - I'm using the new text editor!

Edit: Have been through my last post and reformatted.

What do you all think of this?
(edited 8 years ago)
Typical lefties. Another reason I am glad the conservatives won is because it pisses these people off.
Original post by Mr Smurf
Typical lefties. Another reason I am glad the conservatives won is because it pisses these people off.

That's not fair to say. I don't agree with what they're doing, and I'm a lefty.

Why would you want to piss people off? Immature and pathetic tbh. You're as bad as them.
It is absolutely horrendous that someone has defaced a war memorial.

Several armchair activists and protestors are making the point of saying the government isn't a majority because only 39% of people voted for them. I'd question whether AV/PR needs to be brought up in a separate debate.

Any PR/AV vote, unlikely, would seriously shake up the HoC - I'd argue that it would head to an assembly kind of circle layout which would have to be in a new building altogether.
Didnt get the election result they wanted so they protest. What a bunch of idiots. If it wasn't first past the post then UKIP and tories would dominate parliament and they probably still would have protested. When will they just grow up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Bit stupid tbh. Why protest now?

Would be much more efficient to simply assasinate politicians you dont like
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Why would you want to piss people off? Immature and pathetic tbh. You're as bad as them.

I'm a conservative supporter but wouldn't smash things up or vandalise a memorial if Labour won. So no I am not as bad as them. I am however glad the Conservatives won.
The "tolerant" left.
(edited 8 years ago)
The trouble with trying to 'get tories out', you've got three parties without a leader and an electoral system that will probably turn out the same result. It's only two days later - I severely doubt the electorate will sway that much.
Original post by Zander01
Bit stupid tbh. Why protest now?

Benefits got paid out last week
Original post by Smug Life
The intolerant left.

Fixed that for you
Original post by Roving Fish
The trouble with trying to 'get tories out', you've got three parties without a leader and an electoral system that will probably turn out the same result. It's only two days later - I severely doubt the electorate will sway that much.

You should know they don't care about the electorate: what they want is 'real democracy', meaning the people they want to be in power being in power.
Original post by L'Evil Fish

I too am left handed and am disgusted.

Also, shabadabadoo
Don't agree with the government's actions and want to protest? Fair enough.

Want to become vandals about it and deface monuments? No.
Original post by Inexorably
Don't agree with the government's actions and want to protest? Fair enough.

Want to become vandals about it and deface monuments? No.

What about injuring 'working people.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11595097/Police-officer-injured-as-anti-Tory-protesters-gather-outside-Downing-Street-and-Whitehall.html
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You should know they don't care about the electorate: what they want is 'real democracy', meaning the people they want to be in power being in power.

Ohhhhhh, so those people who if I was to share something Tory on Facebook would tell me I'm wrong and tell me that the Green party should run the UK as they'll give everyone a unicorn, a solar panel and an ounce of whatever drunk they wish?

Clearly a no too :tongue:

I don't know why people feel that violence will make their point more stronger or valid. It only gets rational-minded people thinking that you're a buffoon who has to use his fists instead of forming logical arguments over why government cuts are bad.
Original post by Inexorably
Clearly a no too :tongue:

I don't know why people feel that violence will make their point more stronger or valid. It only gets rational-minded people thinking that you're a buffoon who has to use his fists instead of forming logical arguments over why government cuts are bad.

A reason like years of previous overspending on Britain's welfare system created unrealistic expectations of what to receive as if it's a right. When addressed and scaled back, people protest?

I'm against welfare cuts to those who are genuinely in need, but those who rely on it instead of working (i.e. Benefit Britain) is so so so so so wrong.
You reap what you sow, Britain. Enjoy another 5 years of austerity and attacks on the vulnerable. Rupert Murdoch must be delighted.

I support the protestors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending