The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody know how we can find out which colleges have filled out their postgraduate accommodations? I mean the ones they pffer on the college site.

The reason for asking is, I haven't applied yet but I would prefer a college which has accommodation on-site so I was wondering if there was a a way to find out.

I really like the sound of St. John's but naturally the chances are it's all filled out.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 141
As long as you apply for a college and pay your deposit by the 1st June you're guaranteed accomodation onsite at a college they just can't guarantee which.
So even if you apply for somewhere that's already full they'll just reallocate you somewhere else. You might as well go for the one you like best and then they'll move you to an alternative if there's no space.
Original post by Valkyrja_
Thanks! I guess we are quite close then, with you being in Hatfield. I'm not staying in college accommodation; I'm going to live out of college, at least for this year. If I manage to get funding next year / get a room in the college / don't like where I'll live during my first year, then I'll probably move in. But I'll think about that later.
I will self-fund if I can't find any charity willing to fund me. I don't want to turn my place down nor do I want to defer for another year (this is sort of my 'gap year' between my MA and PhD). I am working at the moment, but it's impossible to save anything, so I'm also looking for part-time jobs in Durham for next year. How about you? Have you sorted your funding?

I'm in a similar situation, finished my MA, got a full-time job to try and save for PhD, managed to save a little bit but not enough to cover 3 years' worth of tuition so i'm a bit apprehensive about starting this year... i'm really undecided to be honest, i'll probably put off making a definite decision until August or some ridiculously late date! I've done a really thorough charity funding hunt now and i just don't think there's anything out there firstly so many charities are dedicated to the sciences compared to the arts, then so many say they won't support individuals with fees, and all the rest had deadlines in like November of last year... It's funny how many times i've thought to myself that its almost like you need two years to apply for a PhD so that in the second year you correct all the mistakes you made the first time around!
Original post by ameliasue
I'm in a similar situation, finished my MA, got a full-time job to try and save for PhD, managed to save a little bit but not enough to cover 3 years' worth of tuition so i'm a bit apprehensive about starting this year... i'm really undecided to be honest, i'll probably put off making a definite decision until August or some ridiculously late date! I've done a really thorough charity funding hunt now and i just don't think there's anything out there firstly so many charities are dedicated to the sciences compared to the arts, then so many say they won't support individuals with fees, and all the rest had deadlines in like November of last year... It's funny how many times i've thought to myself that its almost like you need two years to apply for a PhD so that in the second year you correct all the mistakes you made the first time around!

I couldn't agree with you more. My charity funding search was fruitless and pointless. I had the same experience you had. I did find one charity that funded people from the area where I live but when I phoned them (they did not have a website :confused:) the number was disconnected. Hopefully, new jobs will open around September/October in Durham and I might be able to secure a part-time position. I will be starting my PhD in September 2015 given that my parents are going to fund me but I would really like to have a source of income because I'm not entirely pleased with this situation. I'll reapply to the scholarships next year (both AHRC and the DDS) and maybe, after having started my PhD and being at Durham, I can work with my supervisors to have a stronger application. Or maybe, once there, I'll be able to find other charities which are willing to fund me. But there are a lot of maybes in this plan. :s-smilie:
Reply 144
I couldn't agree with you more. My charity funding search was fruitless and pointless. I had the same experience you had. I did find one charity that funded people from the area where I live but when I phoned them (they did not have a website :confused:) the number was disconnected. Hopefully, new jobs will open around September/October in Durham and I might be able to secure a part-time position. I will be starting my PhD in September 2015 given that my parents are going to fund me but I would really like to have a source of income because I'm not entirely pleased with this situation. I'll reapply to the scholarships next year (both AHRC and the DDS) and maybe, after having started my PhD and being at Durham, I can work with my supervisors to have a stronger application. Or maybe, once there, I'll be able to find other charities which are willing to fund me. But there are a lot of maybes in this plan. :s-smilie:

I advise you not to do it.
Original post by Josb
I advise you not to do it.

What are you advising me against? Starting the PhD in September 2015 or reapplying to the scholarships?
Reply 146
What are you advising me against? Starting the PhD in September 2015 or reapplying to the scholarships?

Going unfunded.
Reply 147
Original post by Josb
Going unfunded.

Correct: I have been told repeatedly by former teachers - with PhDs - that you won't find an academic position if you can't win funding of some sort for your studies. It just won't happen.
Original post by ianuam
Correct: I have been told repeatedly by former teachers - with PhDs - that you won't find an academic position if you can't win funding of some sort for your studies. It just won't happen.

But my supervisor specifically told me that he self-funded his own PhD...
Reply 149
Original post by ianuam

Yes, a lectureship applicant needs to demonstrate their ability to attract funding...
Reply 150

A while ago? The job market's different now.
Reply 151

How long ago?

edit: ninja'd
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ianuam
A while ago? The job market's different now.

Yes it's one in which even the best, funded academics struggle to get posts. Not everyone does a PhD to go into academic teaching. In the arts it's a reality that the majority of candidates are unfunded. It depends why you want your PhD, and if you really do want it. Some things are worth investing in, and not just because there'll be a nice cushty job at the end of it. Just my opinion but I don't think it's fair to tell someone not to fund themselves.
Original post by Diannc
Hello everyone :smile:

I going to start MSc Marketing in October, I applied for the colleges and I saw that some of you got your replies, so I'm wondering how long they take to consider the applications? thank you

I have got an offer for their MSc Marketing programme as well. It took 2 weeks for them to contact me after I've submitted it.
Reply 154
Original post by Fabstone
I have got an offer for their MSc Marketing programme as well. It took 2 weeks for them to contact me after I've submitted it.

Finally someone in Marketing! It's been more than 2 weeks already, but all they sent me was the "Accommodation Guarantee," haven't heard anything from the college yet. And which college you're in then?
Original post by Diannc
Finally someone in Marketing! It's been more than 2 weeks already, but all they sent me was the "Accommodation Guarantee," haven't heard anything from the college yet. And which college you're in then?

No idea. I don't need an accommodation as I am graduating from a university in Newcastle so I'll stay around here anyway as it's close enough to commute whenever necessary. Moreover, I can't really grasp the collegiate system besides having a place to live. I am still under conditional offer as I haven't finished my degree so I don't have to pick one yet. What about you?
Reply 156
Original post by Fabstone
No idea. I don't need an accommodation as I am graduating from a university in Newcastle so I'll stay around here anyway as it's close enough to commute whenever necessary. Moreover, I can't really grasp the collegiate system besides having a place to live. I am still under conditional offer as I haven't finished my degree so I don't have to pick one yet. What about you?

I am also with conditional offer, and still doing my degree, but I need an accommodation, and it's better if I just apply first haha
But Marketing is at Ushaw college, which is a far far away campus, how are you going to get there if you're not living around uni?
Original post by Diannc
I am also with conditional offer, and still doing my degree, but I need an accommodation, and it's better if I just apply first haha
But Marketing is at Ushaw college, which is a far far away campus, how are you going to get there if you're not living around uni?

Durham CC is 15 min away from newcastle by train and I'm pretty sure there's a shuttle that takes from city campus to ushaw college. But I'll visit the campus in June to make sure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Applied for Mjur in law but don't think I'm gonna get it as topic is not really within the school research. Was told to apply anyway. Loved Durham last year and this year going for a research degree whilst I'm working. It's two year research masters (part time). Now the wait ...but suspect it's a no oh well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
As DURHAM fans, please give your support in "The Russell group hurt/heal game" thread.
We need your daily votes to place Durham
Thanks and congrats

Latest

Trending

Trending