The Student Room Group

Look at my beauutiful BLACK people graduating from HBCU's today....

"The Blacker the College...The Sweeter the Knowledge"

Yass shoutout to all the HBCU graduates across America this week and next!11

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

that's great well done, keep it up!
Reply 2
Original post by Beyoncstan
"The Blacker the College...The Sweeter the Knowledge"

Yass shoutout to all the HBCU graduates across America this week and next!11

Why do you feel the need to post this? It's unnecessary.
Reply 3
Has science gone too far?
Reply 4
Why do you feel this is extraordinary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i wish we had universities like this in the UK!
Original post by kkboyk

Because black people are mainly shown in a negative light by the media thus are perceived to all be drug dealers/thieves etc.

This shows this is not the case, they are completing their education and bettering themselves, giving their future kids the best chance available too by graduating and being able to work in a higher/better paid job.

Any other reasons required?
I don't understand why you have to bring the colour of their skin into it?
Reply 8
Original post by bishopdon123
Because black people are mainly shown in a negative light by the media thus are perceived to all be drug dealers/thieves etc.

This shows this is not the case, they are completing their education and bettering themselves, giving their future kids the best chance available too by graduating and being able to work in a higher/better paid job.

Any other reasons required?

Just to clarify, I am black. I just don't see the point in continuing to mention race all the time, and I'm tired of hearing that black people do this and they don't do that. When will people stop associating black people as black people, but rather as just people?
Original post by kkboyk
Just to clarify, I am black. I just don't see the point in continuing to mention race all the time, and I'm tired of hearing that black people do this and they don't do that. When will people stop associating black people as black people, but rather as just people?

Until society in general is comfortable with other skin colours/nationalities.
Original post by kkboyk

Exactly, there was no need to bring race in to this.
Reply 11
I seem to remember they introduced all black Universities at some point in America, I can understand why - America is a lot more racist than the UK - but I really don't like this stuff.

It's like Labour in the 1990s - they had all women shortlists for MPs. It's stupid. Yes it's not right to have white male dominance but we want the best people not something that fits ethnic quotas! (Bit irrelevant for this, but same principle). I believe the Supreme Court ruled against a university setting racial quotas (A white man did slightly better than a black man to get into med school, but the university gave the black guy the place due to the perception the black guy would have had to work harder - this is incredibly naïve and stupid to me - you never know personal circumstances).

Anyway, well done to these people!
This "us and them" attitude only makes racism worse. They are just people; skin colour is irrelevant. Celebrating the graduation of black people makes it appear as something special or rare when it's not in the slightest, no different to white people... or just people generally.
Original post by WillNegForReps
all white = racist
all black = progressive

There's a reason why all black universities exist as black people were not admitted into white schools. So they created their own so that they too can have an education. What's wrong with that? Besides, there are plenty of uni's where white people are the majority. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be around your own culture and where you won't feel alienated because of your race
Also can people stop pretending that they "don't see colour". It's such nonsense
Okay? There's no need for this. Anyone who's stupid enough to generalise all black people is not going to have their opinions changed by some black people graduating.
This really isn't relevant on a UK student forum, OP. The UK doesn't have the ingrained race issues that America has, so it's not really a big deal to us.
Reply 17
I thought the US abolished racial segregation?

Apparently not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kkboyk

a lot of threads are unnecessary on tsr, you don't complain...
Original post by Exon
I thought the US abolished segregation?

They did

Quick Reply

Latest