The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That episode of Fate UBW...

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Red Fox
That episode of Fate UBW...

Spoiler

I read that spoiler ages ago, when I was trying to find a photo of Gilgamesh for you to show you how similar he looks to Kise :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nirgilis
You started on a very high note, let me tell you :tongue: .

Try and experience as many different genres as you can during your time in the anime-realm. I'd recommend moving towards Fate/Stay Night or Elfen Lied next to keep you in the realms of ''frickin' good'' :tongue: . Though both Gosick and No Game No Life have the whole ''Oooh, let's use immense amounts of inconceivable logic to figure out this mystery'' that Death Note has :lol:

A friend I didn't know even liked Anime (Exciting, eh?! :crazy:) just recommended Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, saying he thinks I'd like it. I wonder what your thoughts are on it!
Original post by Bude8
I read that spoiler ages ago, when I was trying to find a photo of Gilgamesh for you to show you how similar he looks to Kise :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol sorry about that. I'm hyped for the rest of the series now, should be good.
Original post by hockham jaynsaw
A friend I didn't know even liked Anime (Exciting, eh?! :crazy:) just recommended Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, saying he thinks I'd like it. I wonder what your thoughts are on it!

Again, it's very mainstream like FS/N or Elfen Lied that I recommended to you. However, it is internationally recognised, so I wouldn't say it's a bad idea to watch it :tongue:

I haven't seen it myself (since I'm slightly hipster and avoid mainstream anime), but I'll quote in AJ for you :yep:

AngryJellyfish
xx

Anything to add? :tongue:
Again, it's very mainstream like FS/N or Elfen Lied that I recommended to you. However, it is internationally recognised, so I wouldn't say it's a bad idea to watch it :tongue:

I haven't seen it myself (since I'm slightly hipster and avoid mainstream anime), but I'll quote in AJ for you :yep:

Thank you :smile:
Big decisions ahead!

Spoiler

Thank you :smile:
Big decisions ahead!

Spoiler

Hehe, I changed my name in late 2011 :tongue: . But I spent the years of 2010-2014 in the Study Help sections since that's my primary moderation area :tongue: . I was extended over to Hobbies & Interests 2/3 months ago to cover a temporary absence in the team, so I'm getting to know the members under my wing in here now :yep:

You been around for long? :tongue: . Your account says not so much :lol:
Hehe, I changed my name in late 2011 :tongue: . But I spent the years of 2010-2014 in the Study Help sections since that's my primary moderation area :tongue: . I was extended over to Hobbies & Interests 2/3 months ago to cover a temporary absence in the team, so I'm getting to know the members under my wing in here now :yep:

You been around for long? :tongue: . Your account says not so much :lol:

Have you ever taken a personality test? http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test I'm absolutely sure you'll get INFJ. You have this vibe I only get when around INFJs. If not, I'll eat my hat... but it's so clear that you are :P

How are you handling the increased responsibility? Do you enjoy it? I can't imagine one good reason to be a mod. Name 3! :lol:

I was Occams Chainsaw in a previous life. You might have seen me around in Maths/Science sections of study help, depending on your area of expertise.
*10 years on TSR dance* :banana2:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is fantastic, popular for good reason. :yes: I'd highly recommend it if you like action, though the story and characters are great as well. :biggrin:

The only real downside is, there was an earlier Fullmetal Alchemist series - this earlier series follows the manga storyline to a point, but there are some changes early on, and it deviates completely after a while for a totally anime-original ending. Brotherhood is a remake that adapts the manga storyline faithfully; it does start from the start, so watching the 2003 series is not essential... but it rushes through the early parts of the story on the assumption that most people will already be familiar with it from the first series.

Personally, I think the early Brotherhood episodes do an okay job at summarising the main points, but obviously it's very fast-paced and some of the detail is lost. If that doesn't bother you too much, you could probably jump strait into Brotherhood. But if you don't mind watching the additional 51 episodes of the original anime beforehand, it may add to your enjoyment (and it isn't bad for an anime-original story, either). :smile:

Hope my explanation makes sense. :p:
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you ever taken a personality test? http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test I'm absolutely sure you'll get INFJ. You have this vibe I only get when around INFJs. If not, I'll eat my hat... but it's so clear that you are :P

I'm well clued in on my personality types :yep: . I'm consistently an ISFJ, so kudos to you for getting so close! I've found that understanding these categories (even if it is a bit of a generalisation) has helped me to understand the world so much better :lol: .

How are you handling the increased responsibility? Do you enjoy it? I can't imagine one good reason to be a mod. Name 3! :lol:

3 good reasons to be a mod, huh? :holmes:

1) I'm in a position where I can create content (either helpful content in Study Help, or fun content over here in H&I) and achieve a high level of engagement with the community based on my position (which lends credibility in the eyes of the average Joe) and close interaction with the Community Team (who can advertise good content, or help source information and resources for a thread).

2) I can engage on a personal level with a broad spectrum of users on this site, primarily because they engage back thanks to the moderator badge. This allows me to build up a rapport with a lot of users, encouraging them to stick around or engage in other parts of the site if they're a little shy or don't normally like to post.

3) The friends I've made from the mod team and the tremendous range of skills I've developed thanks to training days, CT meet-ups/Skype sessions, administration discussions and whatnot has genuinely improved me as a person :yep: . I've used my TSR experience in interviews and it has generally gone down well :tongue:

There are downsides, but they're few and far between in Study Help :tongue: . Chat and D&CA probably have more to say on that :lol: .

You can't think of any upsides whatsoever? :tongue:

I was Occams Chainsaw in a previous life. You might have seen me around in Maths/Science sections of study help, depending on your area of expertise.

I'm aware of your existence, yep :yep: . Didn't have you down as an anime fan however :tongue: . How come you started? :smile:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
*10 years on TSR dance* :banana2:

10 years?! Then again, you are Welsh. I suppose it was either this or the sheep, eh? :wink:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is fantastic, popular for good reason. :yes: I'd highly recommend it if you like action, though the story and characters are great as well. :biggrin:

The only real downside is, there was an earlier Fullmetal Alchemist series - this earlier series follows the manga storyline to a point, but there are some changes early on, and it deviates completely after a while for a totally anime-original ending. Brotherhood is a remake that adapts the manga storyline faithfully; it does start from the start, so watching the 2003 series is not essential... but it rushes through the early parts of the story on the assumption that most people will already be familiar with it from the first series.

Personally, I think the early Brotherhood episodes do an okay job at summarising the main points, but obviously it's very fast-paced and some of the detail is lost. If that doesn't bother you too much, you could probably jump strait into Brotherhood. But if you don't mind watching the additional 51 episodes of the original anime beforehand, it may add to your enjoyment (and it isn't bad for an anime-original story, either). :smile:

Hope my explanation makes sense. :p:

Uh-huh. So I either jump into brotherhood and get a td;lr and follow the manga to the letter or watch the first version and get a deeper scope of the plot while deviating from the original concept.

What's your favourite anime? Do you prefer watching a movie or series?
10 years?! Then again, you are Welsh. I suppose it was either this or the sheep, eh? :wink:

I'll admit, living in the middle of nowhere is largely the reason I spend so much time on the internet and watching anime. No comment regarding the sheep. :p:

Uh-huh. So I either jump into brotherhood and get a td;lr and follow the manga to the letter or watch the first version and get a deeper scope of the plot while deviating from the original concept.

Spot on, and summarised far better than I could have done!

What's your favourite anime? Do you prefer watching a movie or series?

I have a Top 50 list (still need to add reasons for my rankings, but I only put the list together a week ago). Baccano! tops the list, because I've yet to see any other series manage to cram such a fantastic plot and a huge but lovable cast of characters into so few episodes. Death Note and FMA: Brotherhood are there as well!

I tend to prefer series to movies, I have a short attention span. :giggle: ~25 minute episodes are just right. I do like movies, but setting aside a couple of hours to watch one is surprisingly hard to do. Tokyo Godfathers, Grave of the Fireflies and Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo are the only movies in my Top 50, but they are very good. :smile:
I'm well clued in on my personality types :yep: . I'm consistently an ISFJ, so kudos to you for getting so close! I've found that understanding these categories (even if it is a bit of a generalisation) has helped me to understand the world so much better :lol: .

You really think you're a sensor? Your humour is definitely in the style of an intuitive. Clearly you know yourself better than I do but Ni-dom seems far more likely than Si, just given the way you communicate. I agree that Fe-Ti axis is clear, though :yep: Even looking past that, your enjoyment of a fantasy world (through anime) would generally indicate intuition as a dominant or secondary function, because sensing is concerned with the current nature of a thing (and introverted sensing with the subject's actual, current relationship with the object) while introversion is interested in the possibilities, associations, and what the thing could be, always looking beyond the object. The difference, in the abstract, is that while watching an anime, the sensor would be concerned about the thing itself, immersed in that story line and what's happening, and how it relates to reality and the Si's past experiences, while an intuitive would be more interested in the ideas associated with the anime, using their imagination to think about what could happen, or maybe what our if themes were present in our lives (like the Death Note, for instance) what our world might look like.

Only a quick overview but maybe some food for thought!

You can't think of any upsides whatsoever? :tongue:

No, not really. Well, maybe one :ahee: Your reasons seem to surround being able to engage with people you wouldn't otherwise -- which seems true, without the purple badge and it's inherent status, I'd probably have not pondered on not knowing your name -- but the internet people are a strange bunch: do I really want to attract more of them? :cookoo:

I'm aware of your existence, yep :yep: . Didn't have you down as an anime fan however :tongue: . How come you started? :smile:

Another example of intuitive humour!
Eh. The persona shouldn't distract you from the fact I'm a geek at heart. It was inevitable that I'd fall into the world eventually.
(edited 8 years ago)
Any one here watched Mushishi?
Watched Death Note recently. My first anime experience.

L... :frown:

Any recommendations if I enjoyed DN?

Death Parade for the supernatural element; Code Geass for the politics.
I've started rewatching the FMA 2003 series, which happens to be my number 1 favourite anime so far. I prefer it to Brotherhood in that it focuses more on the relationship between Ed and Al, and the action doesn't drag as much as it did in Brotherhood (the ending of Brotherhood comes to mind).
Finally caught up with and finished watching Death Parade. Does make me wonder if there will be a second series, as the way in which the plot 'concluded' felt a bit off.

Spoiler

I'm probably one of the few viewers who weren't so much into the 'game' episodes as the episodes surrounding Decim, his relationship to Chi and the other Arbiters.

It's an odd thing, I find it easy to suspend my disbelief when watching animes about giant mecha robots fighting apocalyptic angels, time travel using microwaves or schoolgirls who fight witches with magical powers, but I found it a hard task here. The humans in this anime didn't seem to act with any ounce of logic whatsoever. They're told that they can't leave the bar until they play a game that they have to stake their lives on. The game is always two players, and neither player seems to ever ask Decim the relevant questions! :s-smilie:

That being said, I Really enjoyed the final episode, it was my favourite by far.

Spoiler

Not watching much at the moment, mainly Fate Stay Night: UBW every week. I liked the extra content they had for Illya and Beserker, just wished they fleshed it out a bit more. I'm also amused that my husband has memorised Archer's 'I am the bone of my sword' speech and does the most uncanny Archer impressions. Apparently it takes him a lot of effort to accurately mispronounce every word. :biggrin:
Original post by Pinkhead
It's a pretty decent read as well.

Yeah, I actually started to read the LNs when season two started because shizzle started to get real aha,

I recently finished volume 10.5 which was brilliant! It's interesting how the humour still transfers sufficiently across mediums - however, it's better to wait a couple days to watch the anime for decent subs.

For a conversational based anime, the last thing to be skimping on is the sub :tongue:
You really think you're a sensor? Your humour is definitely in the style of an intuitive. Clearly you know yourself better than I do but Ni-dom seems far more likely than Si, just given the way you communicate. I agree that Fe-Ti axis is clear, though :yep: Even looking past that, your enjoyment of a fantasy world (through anime) would generally indicate intuition as a dominant or secondary function, because sensing is concerned with the current nature of a thing (and introverted sensing with the subject's actual, current relationship with the object) while introversion is interested in the possibilities, associations, and what the thing could be, always looking beyond the object. The difference, in the abstract, is that while watching an anime, the sensor would be concerned about the thing itself, immersed in that story line and what's happening, and how it relates to reality and the Si's past experiences, while an intuitive would be more interested in the ideas associated with the anime, using their imagination to think about what could happen, or maybe what our if themes were present in our lives (like the Death Note, for instance) what our world might look like.

Only a quick overview but maybe some food for thought!

I re-took the test just for you :tongue: . Results are in the spoiler :yep:

Spoiler

I was speaking to my S.O. about it though and they think I act very differently online to how I would act if we were face to face :yep: . Something about having time to carefully consider my answers as I compose them rather than being put on the spot or something like that :rolleyes: . So maybe you picked up on that :yep:

If you want some sort of convincing - the reason I got into anime in the first place? The colours and the artwork :tongue: . My first anime was D.N.Angel and I moved through a load of tripe before finding anything even half decent! :lol: . So my primary motive was a Sensing reason, however, it has now developed into something more - I now DO look at the possibilities and the ideals surrounding the plot and storyline :lol: . However, you can't beat 1080p, crisp, colourful artwork though :pierre:

Anyway, how about you? :colone: . I'm guessing there's some sort of INT-ness about you? :tongue:

No, not really. Well, maybe one :ahee: Your reasons seem to surround being able to engage with people you wouldn't otherwise -- which seems true, without the purple badge and it's inherent status, I'd probably have not pondered on not knowing your name -- but the internet people are a strange bunch: do I really want to attract more of them? :cookoo:

:yep: . I do this job for the community, and not for the power like so many of the younglings we take on :tongue: . Could I card half the people in this forum? Sure! :tongue: . But I'd rather be re-designing some sub-forum or another or creating useful tools :rolleyes: . The internet may be full of weirdos, but if even one person genuinely takes away some sort of advice, or feels happy once having a conversation with me, it's all worth it :tongue:

Another example of intuitive humour!
Eh. The persona shouldn't distract you from the fact I'm a geek at heart. It was inevitable that I'd fall into the world eventually.

And you found some partners in crime in real life? :colone: . Well, even if not, there's always us! :tongue:
I re-took the test just for you :tongue: . Results are in the spoiler :yep:

Spoiler

I was speaking to my S.O. about it though and they think I act very differently online to how I would act if we were face to face :yep: . Something about having time to carefully consider my answers as I compose them rather than being put on the spot or something like that :rolleyes: . So maybe you picked up on that :yep:

If you want some sort of convincing - the reason I got into anime in the first place? The colours and the artwork :tongue: . My first anime was D.N.Angel and I moved through a load of tripe before finding anything even half decent! :lol: . So my primary motive was a Sensing reason, however, it has now developed into something more - I now DO look at the possibilities and the ideals surrounding the plot and storyline :lol: . However, you can't beat 1080p, crisp, colourful artwork though :pierre:

Anyway, how about you? :colone: . I'm guessing there's some sort of INT-ness about you? :tongue:

:yep: . I do this job for the community, and not for the power like so many of the younglings we take on :tongue: . Could I card half the people in this forum? Sure! :tongue: . But I'd rather be re-designing some sub-forum or another or creating useful tools :rolleyes: . The internet may be full of weirdos, but if even one person genuinely takes away some sort of advice, or feels happy once having a conversation with me, it's all worth it :tongue:

And you found some partners in crime in real life? :colone: . Well, even if not, there's always us! :tongue:

I'm ever suspicious of the online tests. You often see people typed one thing by them and then something different by the professional typists. Because MBTI takes Jungian typology and tries to make it accessible to the masses (in the form of a free, online test), a lot of it is based of behavioral typology rather than the cognitive functions Jung was actually describing. For instance, Judging in the MBTI is indicative of an affinity for rules, order, precision, etc. when the original meaning of 'J' in xxxJ was just to indicate which of the functions was extroverted. For instance, in ISFJ, Feeling is the extroverted function (since the feeling function is a judging function). In ENTP, Intuition is the extraverted function (because it ends in 'P').

You can take this a step further with the I/Exxx: Jung didn't mean for them to be associated with your sociability. That's unrelated to your functions. The introversion is supposed to denote the attitude of your first function. In the case of ISFJ, it's sensing. So you've got Si, Fe as the main two (then Ti and Ne). See? Works great when used properly xD Typology isn't so concerned with how you act but WHY you act that way.

My online tests can fluctuate between ENTP and INTJ but you're right in guessing that INTJ is my actual type. Not sure how you figured that out so quickly -- rather impressive -- most tend to guess ENTP. Even the professional typists had issues typing me. In the end Dr. Dario Nardi got involved and did some brain functionality tests and realized my type through different areas of activity. Why do you guess INTx? You said I didn't seem the type to watch anime which to me implied you guessed something along the lines of ESTx initially.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest