The Student Room Group

Having lots of "culture minority" MPs is NOT good

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billydisco
Firstly, it depends on the phrase "ethnic minority". However, the point I am trying to make is that, considering how members of a certain culture **cough cough** don't exactly have a good record of integrating/adapting to the host culture, is it really smart if our Parliament is made up of people from different cultures? I would quite like Britain to retain its British culture. Thats very unlikely to happen if 400 MPs in Parliament do not embrace British culture.....

NB: Its not "waycist" to want your country to preserve its identity/culture.....

What about those of ethnic minority background who fully embrace/identify with the British culture? Would a Parliament dominated by ethnic minorities whom share the 'host culture' be acceptable by your standards?

If no: this speaks for itself.
If yes: why distinguish by ethnicity not culture in the OP? Surely that's the distinguishing factor here, not their ethnicity.

This all ignores whether conformity to the 'host culture' is the yardstick one should hope for in determining the composition of Parliament, mind.
Original post by MrMackyTv
I think it is very unlikely that Muslims will set up their own political party because they don't make up a majority of the population. If they do that is because of immigration, which we all know needs to be tackled.

No, its not because of immigration

You realise if a family had four children, over three generations their population would quadruple?

Once the fox is in the hen house, there is a problem regardless how many more foxes enter the hen house.....

What exactly to you is British? Half of the things that are 'British' came from foreign backgrounds. If it wasn't for India, Britain would not have their lovely British Tea. If it wasn't for the Caribbean Britain would not have sugary treats like the lovely chocalate bar and cake. All those delights descend from the empire, so what exactly is British?

Did Indians bring tea to Britain? No
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Law-Hopeful
What about those of ethnic minority background who fully embrace/identify with the British culture? Would a Parliament dominated by ethnic minorities whom share the 'host culture' be acceptable by your standards?

If no: this speaks for itself.
If yes: why distinguish by ethnicity not culture in the OP? Surely that's the distinguishing factor here, not their ethnicity.

This all ignores whether conformity to the 'host culture' is the yardstick one should hope for in determining the composition of Parliament, mind.

To answer your Q, "Yes", so by "ethnicity" I was implying "culture".

You realise if every Muslim family had four children, over three generations they would occupy 50% of the population?

Once the fox is in the hen house, there is a problem regardless how many more foxes enter the hen house.....

How in hell do you come to that conclusion?
Original post by HygieneTherapy15
No I'm saying we should only let in immigrants who can benefit Britain -exactly like the Australians do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Majority of immigrant benefit us anyway :wink:

And that clearly wasn't what you were saying as It doesn't add up with your "oh saudi arabia wouldn't let us blah blah blah britians weak for not standing up for it's self blah blah" rhetoric.
To answer your Q, "Yes", so by "ethnicity" I was implying "culture".

How does ethnicity imply culture?

Your thread is directed at "ethnic minority MPs", not "MPs whom do not associate with British culture". Do you understand how this can lead to one believing you discriminate based purely on ethnicity, when in fact you are more of a cultural supremacist than a racist (as one would 'imply' from your reply)?

You realise if every Muslim family had four children, over three generations they would occupy 50% of the population?

What if these Muslim families claim their Muslim but they aren't? What if they all didn't have four children? What about the rest of the population? Of course it is immigration because that is what started the 'problem', which in this case to you is multicultralism. I see no problem with other ethnic minorities that are British being an MP, they are no danger to the country and this country will not be 'taken over' by Muslims. You're thinking that one day the Muslims will take of Britain, that will never ever happen so get it out of your head.

Let me ask you a questions, are you Islamophobic?
Original post by ridwan12
Majority of immigrant benefit us anyway :wink:

Really?

Could you show me figures showing the majority of immigrants benefit us? :wink:

(I'll even help you out- tread carefully.....)
(edited 8 years ago)

You could at least make it clear you edited your post a bit more... My mistake, it was the chinese, Britain used India to make tea for Britain. Tea was still founded outside of Britain so what people think are British values actually some of them aren't and they were helped from the outside. In fact, if it wasn't for Britain conquering over countries then maybe we wouldn't have multi-cultralism. Britain started multicultralism.
The parents and grandparents of most white Brits will have been Christian

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lolwut:

In what way is the fact that white Brits' parents identifying as Christian the identifying factor of a country?

This is equivalent to saying that in Germany, loads of people's grandparents were Nazis, which means that they are a Nazi country.... Something that is clearly not the case.

Let me ask you a questions, are you Islamophobic?

Ahhh people like billydisco will claim that it doesn't exist, so I use the term "anti Muslim" these days, because that's what it really is.
Yes, the indigenous British people.

And I'm not talking about Germany, I'm talking about Britain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Welsh?. And ILP makes a very good point. She made a comparison, is what she did.
Really?

Could you show me figures showing the majority of immigrants benefit us? :wink:

(I'll even help you out- tread carefully.....)

2011 census data showed that immigrants were 45% less likely to claim benefits.

Between 2001 and 2011, European Economic Area (EEA) immigrants contributed 34% more to the fiscal system than they took out, equivalent to a net contribution of around 22 billion GBP.

This is census data, which you are free to look up. Obvs not majority of immigrants, but seeing how Eastern Europen immigrants have been a 'concern'.
Original post by The_Internet
Ahhh people like billydisco will claim that it doesn't exist, so I use the term "anti Muslim" these days, because that's what it really is.

I know, and he still hasn't answered my questions. So until billydisco answers it, I will assume he is Islamophobic and that he is reilgious prejudist.
Yes, the indigenous British people.

And I'm not talking about Germany, I'm talking about Britain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There were loads of Romans living in Britain around 55 BC. Do these count as indigenous Britons? In which case, this is a Roman country :eek:

What about the Celts before them? Pagans..

No, but logic is transferable.
What people are/where they originate isnt the problem, what they believe in, is.....

Glad you have clarified that, I agree.

Which begs the question why you use 'ethnic minorities' not 'culture' as the distinguishing factor in your OP. By your logic, not all ethnic minorities have a different culture (to their 'host' country) and thus not all satisfy the distinction you draw, but all those who have have a different culture do satisfy the distinction you draw - so why not phrase the OP in terms of culture not ethnicity?
(edited 8 years ago)
You're purposely being awkward and missing the point. Me and almost 4 million others voted UKIP. Must be a reason why

Not really.If someone refutes you, they are not "being awkward" IIRC, the "Indigenous people of the UK" are indeed...Welsh, and not English.

Me and 2.something million people voted Lib Dem. Must be a reason why too... We live in a democracy. Simples...

The majority of the country voted Tory. There must be a reason why (even under PR) Scotland voted for the SNP's. There must be a reason why etc.,.. etc...

I know, and he still hasn't answered my questions. So until billydisco answers it, I will assume he is Islamophobic and that he is reilgious prejudist.

And he can't refute me either lol
You seem to have a problem with English. You said:

So I would like you to show me evidence that the majority of immigrants benefit us? What you have shown does not show this, it shows something different.

You seem to have a problem with reading. I never said that.

As the net impact is beneficial, this would suggest that the majority of immigrants have a positive effect. The likelihood that a minority induce this net result is minimal and irrelevant.
Original post by ILovePancakes
There were loads of Romans living in Britain around 55 BC. Do these count as indigenous Britons? In which case, this is a Roman country :eek:

What about the Celts before them? Pagans..

No, but logic is transferable.

ILP, I find it odd how they're cool with one middle Eastern religion, but not another tbh. Christianity is not British.It's an import.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending