The Student Room Group

Look at my beauutiful BLACK people graduating from HBCU's today....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mangostan
There's a reason why all black universities exist as black people were not admitted into white schools. So they created their own so that they too can have an education. What's wrong with that? Besides, there are plenty of uni's where white people are the majority. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be around your own culture and where you won't feel alienated because of your race

Doesn’t that just create segregation and not integration? And why do we have to have diversity in white majority schools and universities? When black schools and universities don’t.
Original post by IamLiquid
Doesn’t that just create segregation and not integration? And why do we have to have diversity in white majority schools and universities? When black schools and universities don’t.

HBCUs do admit other races. Most of them don't have a large black population like they did 20 years ago. so it doesn't segregate at all. I was talking about why there were created in the first place.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
America is alot more diverse than the UK not even close honestly and I think the last election showed "London" is just 1 city versus the rest of the country. There are "londons' in every U.S state .

"Black Pride" is important and Black Nationalism is very important to America. You would need to know racial history in this country to understand that. RACE has ALWAYS played an essential part in American live pretty much every decade.

HBCU's are the foundation of middle class Black America, many of the most famous African Americans attended these schools but today less than 10% of black students attend HBCU's and they are under threat from state legislatures. So HBCU graduates like myself are very proud of the history of schools. You would have to attend one to understand the pride.

This post is important because I can assure you CNN, ABC,NBC, FOX, MSNBC, CBS, etc won't be there but they sure will be covering the next police brutality march that turns violent.
Considering the disparity in education results in black people and white people in America, I'm not surprised someone has posted this. It's fab to see so many people doing well for themselves!

And for people saying 'I don't see colour', just stop it. You do see colour and it isn't racist to say so. To say this is to deny different cultures, heritages and the struggles POC have faced and are still facing. Race is important, simply due to the fact we still don't have racial equality. When that day arrives, then you might be able to say 'I don't see colour' :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Beyoncstan
America is alot more diverse than the UK not even close honestly and I think the last election showed "London" is just 1 city versus the rest of the country. There are "londons' in every U.S state .

"Black Pride" is important and Black Nationalism is very important to America. You would need to know racial history in this country to understand that. RACE has ALWAYS played an essential part in American live pretty much every decade.

HBCU's are the foundation of middle class Black America, many of the most famous African Americans attended these schools but today less than 10% of black students attend HBCU's and they are under threat from state legislatures. So HBCU graduates like myself are very proud of the history of schools. You would have to attend one to understand the pride.

This post is important because I can assure you CNN, ABC,NBC, FOX, MSNBC, CBS, etc won't be there but they sure will be covering the next police brutality march that turns violent.

So much truth. plus let's not forget the issues that the UK has with race. They may not be as noted and huge as America's but they're there
Reply 25
There's a reason why all black universities exist as black people were not admitted into white schools. So they created their own so that they too can have an education. What's wrong with that? Besides, there are plenty of uni's where white people are the majority. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be around your own culture and where you won't feel alienated because of your race

But that's gradually becoming a problem itself as time goes forward. Yes this was really important more than 30yrs ago and also a few years ago as there were relatively few black people that are applying to uni or going into higher education, but now it feels like it isn't as great but causing a bit of segregation and tension between races.
Reply 26
Original post by IamLiquid

The UK is not as diverse as you think. Just because London is diverse doesn't reflect the entire country. America is much better model of a diverse country literally everyone stays here.

There are 50 million Black people in America, that's almost the entire British population.

Do you now black history in America? So if we use to attend an HBCU we can and not thats not deviance. We just have pride in our people.

There is very little diversity in PWI in America. Many of these schools like University of Georgie have 40,000 students but the black population is less than 10%when the black population of GA is like 25-30% of the state but the UGA football team is 80% Black.
Reply 27
Original post by bittr n swt
a lot of threads are unnecessary on tsr, you don't complain...

I'm not sad enough to comment to all of them, and I felt like commenting on this one.
Original post by kkboyk
But that's gradually becoming a problem itself as time goes forward. Yes this was really important more than 30yrs ago and also a few years ago as there were relatively few black people that are applying to uni or going into higher education, but now it feels like it isn't as great but causing a bit of segregation and tension between races.

I doubt that HBCU'S are the biggest threat to racial harmony tbh! Surely the large amount of deaths from racist police brutality is more of a concern in the US?
Reply 29
Original post by Beyoncstan

Replace "Black Pride and Nationalism" with "White Pride and Nationalism" and tell me that doesn't sound like something the KKK would say.
Original post by kkboyk
I'm not sad enough to comment to all of them, and I felt like commenting on this one.

whatever
Reply 31
Original post by bittr n swt
whatever

Stop being bitter and just be sweet. I thought we were homies? :frown:
Original post by Exon
Replace "Black Pride and Nationalism" with "White Pride and Nationalism" and tell me that doesn't sound like something the KKK would say.

The difference being that black pride is born out of being proud of our race and cultures despite a society that teaches us otherwise. White pride is born out of hate and superiority.
also , how can you even compare this to the KKK?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
I doubt that HBCU'S are the biggest threat to racial harmony tbh! Surely the large amount of deaths from racist police brutality is more of a concern in the US?

You can easily fix HBCUs. Police brutality is a much deeper issue.
Tbh, I think this information would be more relevant on an American forum
Reply 35
The difference being that black pride is born out of being proud of our race and cultures despite a society that teaches us otherwise. White pride is born out of hate and superiority.
also , how can you even compare this to the KKK?!

I was comparing your statement to the KKK.

I would compare the OP to Jim Crow laws.
Original post by Exon
You can easily fix HBCUs. Police brutality is a much deeper issue.

HBCU's don't have to be "fixed". Police brutality against people of colour is something that should have been dealt wih long ago but people refuse to hold the right people accountable.
Original post by Exon
I was comparing your statement to the KKK.

I would compare the OP to Jim Crow laws.

How does this compare to laws that literally placed black people below animals??
Original post by undine_monty
Tbh, I think this information would be more relevant on an American forum

True
Reply 39
Example...

This is the University of Georgia the flagship school of my home state...

Now this is the University of Georgia Football team

This is why HBCU's have pride. Look at the lack of overall minority students in the student body versus the football team.

I went to college here.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending