The Student Room Group

What A level/s do you find a joke?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flibber
Hello, Mr Fish (or would you prefer another appellation?)

Was your exam board AQA?
I am really considering switching Chemistry for Geography ou le français. What were the geography lessons like before you quit?
And by the way, is Economics A level worth it either?

Back to topic, I think A Level Sports Studies, Business Studies, Law, and Media Studies is pointless.

How is business studies pointless when clearly everything in this world revolves around it? Literally, everything you see from shops to big organisations is something to do with businesses and business is a broad subject so you can't just say its pointless.

Edit: additionally, business is applicable to real life, we need the knowledge of business.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
I swear Use of Maths covers the same as A level Maths but is just just less rigorous, still much better than a lot of subjects imo

From what I know of it, its GCSE maths with some coursework and a little bit of stats, basically no a level maths at all! I understand why its a qualification but the reason for taking it sort of devalues the subject at least imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by German123
How is business studies pointless when clearly everything in this world revolves around it? Literally, everything you see from shops to big organisations is something to do with businesses and business is a broad subject so you can't just say its pointless.

Edit: additionally, business is applicable to real life, we need the knowledge of business.

I don't know about A2 business, but half of AS business is literally a dumbed down version of GCSE business. The other half has some that applies to the real world, but a fair amount is just "pros & cons of x"

p.s. I take business
Original post by somegirlcalledea
From what I know of it, its GCSE maths with some coursework and a little bit of stats, basically no a level maths at all! I understand why its a qualification but the reason for taking it sort of devalues the subject at least imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I think you have it wrong, it is very much A level standard of Maths only that it has less of it

The exams are like this:

AS year:

1. Algebra
2. Decision (Like D1 from Maths A level)
3. Data Analysis (Stats)

A2 year:

1. Calculus (Differentiation and Integration)
2. Mathematical Applications (Coursework: Algebra, Calculus, Decision)
3. Mathematical Comprehension(Real world questions on Algebra and Calculus)

So all content that is covered in A level Maths

You can also take 'Dynamics' which is like Mechanics

I am talking about the A level in Use of Mathematics not the lower level forms of it like the GCSE equivalent
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by himynameiswill
I don't know about A2 business, but half of AS business is literally a dumbed down version of GCSE business. The other half has some that applies to the real world, but a fair amount is just "pros & cons of x"

p.s. I take business

How hard would it be to learn AQA Business AS + A2 in one year?
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
How hard would it be to learn AQA Business AS + A2 in one year?

Well I don't know about A2 as I'm still in year 12, but my teacher only taught 2 lessons from unit 1 so I've self taught the course. Took me about 3 weeks and I got a B in the Jan mocks.

Unit 2 isn't that hard either, but there is a lot of advantages and disadvantages you need to remember.
Well I don't know about A2 as I'm still in year 12, but my teacher only taught 2 lessons from unit 1 so I've self taught the course. Took me about 3 weeks and I got a B in the Jan mocks.

Unit 2 isn't that hard either, but there is a lot of advantages and disadvantages you need to remember.

I may pick it up next year but I didn't take GCSE business, might start on the AS units after exams
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
I may pick it up next year but I didn't take GCSE business, might start on the AS units after exams

A few people in my class took A level business that didn't do GCSE and are finding it fine. AS in my opinion isn't very hard to get to grips with. You just have to use common sense most of the time.

p.s. I take business

Business is applicable to real life and most things in life are not a joke.
When I first started college I knew I was going to leave to join the Army. I wanted to study law but the parents wanted me to do medicine. In rebellion I joined the army and whilst in college took BTEC Computing or something similar. I lasted about 3 months and was clawing my eyes out at the banal CoPE standard of work. I kicked and kicked until they let me change to take 5 As Levels, which I then carried on with in A2 until I left for the army late in my second year.

I found the BTEC was full of 'vocational' people. They were not very academically enlightened and it felt like being in a low set GCSE class.

I think BTEC is great for people who aren't academic enough to show themselves off at A2. It allows the more practical of the bunch to shine through coursework. People who take BTECs can do well, but are quite often limited to low level professional work later on in life.

It all depends on your interests, strengths and aspirations.

Quick Reply

Latest