The Student Room Group

Having lots of "culture minority" MPs is NOT good

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billydisco
Oh my god......

You just made the claim the fact a net figure is positive, implies the majority of the people comprising that figure are net contributers, which is total BS! I just proved it with a very simple example. Five people and their contributions:

+500, -10, -10, -10, -10

Net contribution is +450, yet 80% of the group don't contribute!

So yes, I don't think your maths is very good! You also imply things which are total nonsense.

EVERY single immigrant should be a net contributer. Why on earth should we admit immigrants who don't contribute???

You didn't explicitly outline that. Right, and the likelihood of that being the case is extremely minimal; as I highlighted before and you chose to ignore. Especially if you think about the sort of people who do tend to immigrate; those seeking a better life. It is extremely doubtful that a minority are able to make up for the failings of a vast majority.

Original post by The_Internet
Ahuh, I've linked that SO MANY times on TSR! Hans Rosling is amazing. The one I watched was "Hans Rosling: Good news of the decade"

Oo, I haven't seen that one. Will have to give it a look after exams :h:.
Original post by ridwan12
Can you prove this?

Hypothetical don't are useless and i'm pretty sure UCL are competent enough to publish such "situations" if they saw them, unless you claim they are left wing to...

Again you ignored half my post:

"Recent immigrants were 45% less likely to receive state benefits or tax credits than people native to the UK and 3% less likely to live in social housing"

This show's they are more likely to benefit the UK than our own native citizen's, due to being 45% less likely to be dependent on the state and 3% less likely to take up social housing.

Why do I need to prove anything?

You said the majority of immigrants contribute. You then failed to provide evidence and the evidence you did provide didn't collaborate your point.

I have just given you an example of why your evidence didn't back-up your point and now you're asking me to prove it????

Do you honestly not see how claiming the majority of immigrants are net contributers has absolutely nothing to do with the total net figure? One immigrant could contribute billions whilst we have 400,000 immigrants sponging £20,000 a year off the state!
Ahuh, I've linked that SO MANY times on TSR! Hans Rosling is amazing. The one I watched was "Hans Rosling: Good news of the decade"

I might watch it soon then. After my exam week.
Original post by ILovePancakes
You didn't explicitly outline that. Right, and the likelihood of that being the case is extremely minimal; as I highlighted before and you chose to ignore. Especially if you think about the sort of people who do tend to immigrate; those seeking a better life. It is extremely doubtful that a minority are able to make up for the failings of a vast majority.

Oo, I haven't seen that one. Will have to give it a look after exams :h:.

Check out google public data too (As well as his own mapminder) I like Google public data, cos well it has pretty graphs showing how nations have had less and less kids over time.
Original post by MrMackyTv
I might watch it soon then. After my exam week.
As above :smile:
Reply 204
You talk as though there's now a huge wave of "ethnic minorities" swarming in and taking over parliament when this is in fact completely not the case considering only 7% of parliament is made up of non-white people. Having said this, even if it was happening; so what? Britain being so multicultural is a part of our culture and I think this is a key fact that people are unwilling to remember. It's post like these that make people feel unaccepted and socially handicapped in Britain. Please tell me what is "British Culture" and how is it a part of "British Culture" to reject the views and opinions of minorities. Or are we, God forbid, going back to Class-Run Post-WW2 days?

And can I just add that if you think it's the immigrants "sponging" off the generous benefits system, why don't you look to your MPs who claim huge amounts of tax-payer money over things they could easily pay for themselves (e.g. breakfast - not even kidding, literally BREAKFAST)
(edited 8 years ago)
Why do I need to prove anything?

You said the majority of immigrants contribute. You then failed to provide evidence and the evidence you did provide didn't collaborate your point.

I have just given you an example of why your evidence didn't back-up your point and now you're asking me to prove it????

Do you honestly not see how claiming the majority of immigrants are net contributers has absolutely nothing to do with the total net figure? One immigrant could contribute billions whilst we have 400,000 immigrants sponging £20,000 a year off the state!

*continues to ignore 2nd half of my post*
You didn't explicitly outline that. Right, and the likelihood of that being the case is extremely minimal; as I highlighted before and you chose to ignore.

Why is the likelihood of high net contributers offsetting low net contributers minimal?

Especially if you think about the sort of people who do tend to immigrate; those seeking a better life. It is extremely doubtful that a minority are able to make up for the failings of a vast majority

Better life = more money. Do you think they honestly care whether it comes via a job or the British taxpayer?

and I continue to wait for you to prove the majority of immigrants contribute.....

Lucky you. He is ignoring all of my previous post.
Why is the likelihood of high net contributers offsetting low net contributers minimal?

Better life = more money. Do you think they honestly care whether it comes via a job or the British taxpayer?

Because so many immigrants are low-skilled workers and most jobs open to them are low-paying. I don't see how it is viable that a minority of people in these sorts of jobs can offset a majority.

Harrods may be foreign owned, but I don't think that Al Fayed's contributions offset the 7.5 million immigrants who you seem to think are draining the economy.
Check out google public data too (As well as his own mapminder) I like Google public data, cos well it has pretty graphs showing how nations have had less and less kids over time.
As above :smile:

I love pretty graphs <3

Half my geography revision is just me making my own :colondollar:
Lucky you. He is ignoring all of my previous post.

Lol
and I continue to wait for you to prove the majority of immigrants contribute.....

"Recent immigrants were 45% less likely to receive state benefits or tax credits than people native to the UK and 3% less likely to live in social housing"

This show's they are more likely to benefit the UK than our own native citizen's, due to being 45% less likely to be dependent on the state and 3% less likely to take up social housing.
posts 185 and 189

thanks.
I love pretty graphs <3

Half my geography revision is just me making my own :colondollar:

My geography revision doesn't require making pretty graphs :frown: sucks to be me.
Original post by t0sin
You talk as though there's now a huge wave of "ethnic minorities" swarming in and taking over parliament when this is in fact completely not the case considering only 7% of parliament is made up of non-white people.

No, I am saying this is a trend and its not going to be stopping....

Original post by t0sin
Having said this, even if it was happening; so what? Britain being so multicultural is a part of our culture and I think this is a key fact that people are unwilling to remember.

Really? Is that why so many people voted UKIP and the Tories and Labour had to adopt immigration policies because the British public love immigration so much? Because its part of our culture?

Care to tell me how immigration is part of our culture?

Original post by t0sin
It's post like these that make people feel unaccepted and socially handicapped in Britain.

If certain immigrants weren't bringing their culture with them, posts like this wouldn't exist.

Original post by t0sin
Please tell me what is "British Culture" and how is it a part of "British Culture" to reject the views and opinions of minorities.

Why do I need to tell you what British culture is? How does the answer relate to British culture? The point is this is Britain and the only culture should be the one which was here before any 1990s immigration occurred.

Original post by t0sin
Or are we, God forbid, going back to Class-Run Post-WW2 days?

You mean when Britain was actually a powerful and wealthy country and everybody had a job and houses were cheap? Wow, sounds dreadful.... :rolleyes:

Original post by t0sin
And can I just add that if you think it's the immigrants "sponging" off the generous benefits system, why don't you look to your MPs who claim huge amounts of tax-payer money over things they could easily pay for themselves (e.g. breakfast - not even kidding, literally BREAKFAST)

Do you understand how expenses work? Im asking seriously? Do you think you only claim for things you cannot afford? :confused:
My geography revision doesn't require making pretty graphs :frown: sucks to be me.

Oh, it doesn't really require it.. I just do it off my own back :teehee:
Original post by Law-Hopeful
posts 185 and 189

thanks.

I dont follow? Are you saying there's Qs in those two posts you want answered?

Quick Reply

Latest