The Student Room Group

Advice needed, improving arm strength with resistance bands, women

Hi, I recently purchased a resistant band and I want to mainly use it to make my arms stronger, a bit more muscled

At the moment my arms are really skinny, so thats why. I understand nutrition is important too

So I was wondering if someone could advise on how often a day/week and how many sets/reps more or less I should be doing.

Help appreciated as I am not sure of the way forward

cheers!
Reply 1
like 10 curls a day is ok? or more?
Original post by number23
like 10 curls a day is ok? or more?

I typically do 3 sets of 20 reps for arm exercises.

Although you want to do different exercises for different bits of your arms really. Curls are just going to work your biceps, your triceps are the bigger muscle group. Then you have your deltoids too.

I honestly don't know about exercises with resistance bands though. Personally I prefer the versatility of dummbells although I appreciate they're more expensive and as newbie you're going to need low weights and very quickly need bigger weights so it can cost quite a lot up front.

Push-ups are very good for building up your arms, especially if you keep your arms narrow so as to minimise the work that your chest does and make it mostly be your arms, good for the triceps.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TorpidPhil

Although you want to do different exercises for different bits of your arms really. Curls are just going to work your biceps, your triceps are the bigger muscle group. Then you have your deltoids too.

Tricep dips, push ups and planks are generally the best way to go if you're starting out.

If you need any ideas for other arm workouts that don't involve any equipment, have a look at blogilates on youtube. I started out using her workouts and now lift at the gym.

If you google 'arm workouts with resistance bands' there are tons of workout ideas (pinterest is a goldmine).

Generally, I would say start out 3 or 4x a week, doing 3 sets of 20 as TorpidPhil said. Do each rep with control. Remember to take a short break between sets and stretch out properly after!
What type of bands like these? If they are therabands, then they may help but will be limited progress. If they are woody-bands, you can make gains.

I would do lots of push ups 3-4 days a week as well dips on a bench, chair or bed. Those will be enough for triceps. You can also add in pushdowns using the bands.

In terms of biceps, you can resort to curls with the bands. Deltoids/shoulders will get hit by push ups and dips.

Then if you like, you could add in lots of squats, lunges and planks to cover some of your leg muscles and abdominals.

I would go quite high volume with all of them, so do 3 times a week at least, up to 5 ish. 3-4 sets of 10-20 on all exercises.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest