The Student Room Group

Having lots of "culture minority" MPs is NOT good

Firstly, it depends on the phrase "culture minority". However, the point I am trying to make is that, considering how members of a certain cultures don't exactly have a good record of integrating/adapting to the host culture, is it really smart if our Parliament is made up of people from different cultures? I would quite like Britain to retain its British culture. Thats very unlikely to happen if 400 MPs in Parliament do not embrace British culture.....

NB: Its not "waycist" to want your country to preserve its identity/culture.....
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I do not think it is inherently wrong for someone with a different culture to the average MP to then become an MP themself. Just because someone hasn't integrated into the British culture doesn't mean that they are automatically bad and/or dangerous people.

What ideas, customs and social behaviours do you want to retain?
Only those who have integrated will even want to be MPs, regardless of race. Stupid thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Parliament consists of 7% non-white Mp's now-- they are hardly taking over.

The non white population of the UK is about 8% so it's pretty accurate representation. Do they not deserve any say? some of them have been here for decades and feel that they are truly British,

edit: Apparently the non-white population is around 13% so there is still progress to be made
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by billydisco
Firstly, it depends on the phrase "ethnic minority". However, the point I am trying to make is that, considering how members of a certain culture **cough cough** don't exactly have a good record of integrating/adapting to the host culture, is it really smart if our Parliament is made up of people from different cultures? I would quite like Britain to retain its British culture. Thats very unlikely to happen if 400 MPs in Parliament do not embrace British culture.....

NB: Its not "waycist" to want your country to preserve its identity/culture.....

Can't rep, I thought Cameron said 'multiculturalism doesn't work' a bit ago anyway, he's absolutely right, it causes racial animosity
Why does it matter if people are British citizens? smh.

Its things like this that cause chaos and no wonder people were hating on Ed.
Reply 6
What even is British society? Throughout history our British society has been formed thanks to influences from different cultures, societies and parts of the globe. Society by definition evolves and changes due to different influences. You may not like the changes, sure. But saying that change in general is a bad thing is ridiculous - as has been already said, unless there are specific changes in the culture happening now which you feel can be described as objectively bad then complain about them, sure, but don't complain about change in general and don't blame ethnic minorities for it.
Reply 7
Original post by Skitee
What even is British society? Throughout history our British society has been formed thanks to influences from different cultures, societies and parts of the globe. Society by definition evolves and changes due to different influences. You may not like the changes, sure. But saying that change in general is a bad thing is ridiculous - as has been already said, unless there are specific changes in the culture happening now which you feel can be described as objectively bad then complain about them, sure, but don't complain about change in general and don't blame ethnic minorities for it.

Oh come off it mate, whats British society? How about I reverse the answer, the following are not part of British culture, yet they are here in abundance:

-Female Genital Mutilation
-Child marriage
-Honour killings

Where did they suddenly come from?

Here's a good example, its quite well-known that members of a certain religion associate with their religion more so than nationality. Do you think they would vote to go to war against a country of their religion, if it was in the UK's interests? Absolutely not. They put their religion before country. (I know not all of them do, but a significant proportion).
(edited 8 years ago)
Please enlighten me, what exactly is British culture?
Why shouldn't there be MPs who are ethnic minorities? If they are British citizens and live and work here then they should be able to have a say in how the country is run. Let's be honest, the UK has been predominantly run by white British people and they royally messed up at times.
Reply 10
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Why shouldn't there be MPs who are ethnic minorities? If they are British citizens and live and work here then they should be able to have a say in how the country is run. Let's be honest, the UK has been predominantly run by white British people and they royally messed up at times.

So bash horrible white people and non whites are gods? Love leftist logic of 'white guilt'.
Firstly, it depends on the phrase "ethnic minority". However, the point I am trying to make is that, considering how members of a certain culture **cough cough** don't exactly have a good record of integrating/adapting to the host culture, is it really smart if our Parliament is made up of people from different cultures? I would quite like Britain to retain its British culture. Thats very unlikely to happen if 400 MPs in Parliament do not embrace British culture.....

You mean how the brits intergrated themsleves in colonied?
I mean they didnt even try at all bit were mps etc, so why should others.
What is meant by 'brit-ish' values, and who are you directing this post too?
Race baiting at its finest
The idea of ethnic minority representation is interesting... If people of an ethnic minority are 'integrated' into our culture, then surely they are represented by existing MPs, and there should be no drive (but equally no resistance or discrimination) to get ethnic minorities elected as MPs.
There's nothing wrong with ethnic minority candidates per se, they can be very well integrated and as British as anyone.

I would have concerns about other cultures being represented, but if it is the democratic will of the people, there is nothing to be done.
Original post by German123
Why does it matter if people are British citizens? smh.

Its things like this that cause chaos and no wonder people were hating on Ed.

What a stupid question.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TorpidPhil
What are stupid question.

No, as long as a person is a British citizen(maybe from Spain, Germany, africa etc) that should not matter and especially if they have been in the UK for so long.
Original post by German123
No, as long as a person is a British citizen(maybe from Spain, Germany, africa etc) that should not matter and especially if they have been in the UK for so long.

You asked why does it matter if they are a British citizen...

Of course some somali shouldn't just be able to show up and get in parliament with one year of arising...
Original post by TorpidPhil
You asked why does it matter if they are a British citizen...

Of course some somali shouldn't just be able to show up and get in parliament with one year of arising...

Well these people know better not to do that, so they will not.

this is one of the many reasons why ethnic minorities don't feel accepted in Britain kmt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending