The Student Room Group

Dilemma

I have exams over the course of the next two months. I'm taking A2 psychology (with AS) retakes, A2 Government & Politics, A2 sociology & AS History.
It's just that I was thinking of completely forgetting about doing History revision as I see no point in trying hard for a petty AS level which I'm not even going to continue next year. So I thought of only focusing on only my A2 subjects which I personally believe I can fare well in (around AAB - ABB), or either I try for all my exams including AS level history and get something like BBC (A2) + C (AS History).
At the moment, I feel inclined to go for the first option.
Which option would you go for if this was your situation?

Thanks if you actually bothered to read this :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ps If I did absolutely no history revision, I would inevitably get a U grade lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by johnd45
I have exams over the course of the next two months. I'm taking A2 psychology (with AS) retakes, A2 Government & Politics, A2 sociology & AS History.
It's just that I was thinking of completely forgetting about doing History revision as I see no point in trying hard for a petty AS level which I'm not even going to continue next year. So I thought of only focusing on only my A2 subjects which I personally believe I can fare well in (around AAB - ABB), or either I try for all my exams including AS level history and get something like BBC (A2) + C (AS History).
At the moment, I feel inclined to go for the first option.
Which option would you go for if this was your situation?

Thanks if you actually bothered to read this :tongue:

Seems pretty self-explanatory = first option. It would get me into a better university. That's not to say do absolutely no revision for history and get a U. Aim for a C at least, that's doable. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Mochassassin
Seems pretty self-explanatory = first option. It would get me into a better university. That's not to say do absolutely no revision for history and get a U. Aim for a C at least, that's doable. :smile:

I would try and least get a C, but that means my revision would coincide with other subjects severely. Thanks for answering :smile: I think I've made my decision now aha
Original post by johnd45
I would try and least get a C, but that means my revision would coincide with other subjects severely. Thanks for answering :smile: I think I've made my decision now aha

Yeah, I understand. I felt the same way about History at A-level. I thought it was awful but I managed to scrape a B at the end of the day - no idea how, there was one exam on the Russian Revolution I kept getting Cs/Ds even after three resits. :eek:

What topic is your exam on? :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah, I understand. I felt the same way about History at A-level. I thought it was awful but I managed to scrape a B at the end of the day - no idea how, there was one exam on the Russian Revolution I kept getting Cs/Ds even after three resits. :eek:

What topic is your exam on? :smile:

:P history is so meh. I've had no motivation to do well in it tbh, and I never payed attention in class. I was practically forced to pick it up by my college because it filled up my timetable ;(.
And I'm doing the Russian Revolution and British politics for unit 2
Reply 6
I should've picked something like creative writing instead... I could write a load of nonsensical crap which could still be a pass lol
Original post by johnd45
I should've picked something like creative writing instead... I could write a load of nonsensical crap which could still be a pass lol

Lol, what are you planning on doing at uni?

Original post by johnd45
:P history is so meh. I've had no motivation to do well in it tbh, and I never payed attention in class. I was practically forced to pick it up by my college because it filled up my timetable ;(.
And I'm doing the Russian Revolution and British politics for unit 2

That's awful, are they even allowed to do that - force you to pick a subject you don't want to do just to fill your timetable? :/ I assume you don't do General Studies then?
Reply 8

That's awful, are they even allowed to do that - force you to pick a subject you don't want to do just to fill your timetable? :/ I assume you don't do General Studies then?

I appreciate the sympathy :P
It would be so painful to accumulate all the time I've wasted in History lessons haha.

Nope, my college doesn't offer General Studies, did you take it?
Reply 9

And to answer your question about uni-

I wanted to study Law for about a year and a half now, but it randomly struck me one day that it would be an awful choice - the excessive hours/ finding a job and settling/ stress levels/ social value etc.

So I want to apply this September possibly for business management when I'm done with my A levels this Summer. So I'll technically be having a gap year until September 2016 :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10

If I may ask, what are you studying/have you studied at uni?
Oh and which uni? :smile:
Original post by johnd45
I appreciate the sympathy :P
It would be so painful to accumulate all the time I've wasted in History lessons haha.

Nope, my college doesn't offer General Studies, did you take it?

Count yourself lucky! I did indeed, but it was so pointless because they ask about a medley of topics. Some students are better suited to answer certain ones than others and you don't know what topics are going to come up.

Original post by johnd45
And to answer your question about uni-

I wanted to study Law for about a year and a half now, but it randomly struck me one day that it would be an awful choice - the excessive hours/ finding a job and settling/ stress levels/ social value etc.

So I want to apply this September possibly for business management when I'm done with my A levels this Summer. So I'll technically be having a gap year until September 2016 :smile:

LOL, I feel like I'm talking to my mirror image here! I did Law for a term at uni and didn't like it at all. So I changed to a degree I was interested in and I'm so much happier for it! It's good that you're thinking about all the consequences. Business Management sounds great, good luck with everything! :biggrin:
Original post by johnd45
If I may ask, what are you studying/have you studied at uni?
Oh and which uni? :smile:

I'm studying English Lit as my major at Lancaster Uni. Also doing World Lit and French in my first year because Lancaster have this 3-subject thing (a bit like A-levels) in first year. It makes your choices quite flexible I suppose in case you want to change subjects but I feel it's a waste of a year for me because French is taking up a hell of a lot more time! I used to do Law for a term back in 2013.

Have you given thoughts to which unis you'd like to go to? :smile:
Reply 13
Count yourself lucky! I did indeed, but it was so pointless because they ask about a medley of topics. Some students are better suited to answer certain ones than others and you don't know what topics are going to come up.

LOL, I feel like I'm talking to my mirror image here! I did Law for a term at uni and didn't like it at all. So I changed to a degree I was interested in and I'm so much happier for it! It's good that you're thinking about all the consequences. Business Management sounds great, good luck with everything! :biggrin:

Wow haha, that completely affirms my decision to NOT study law!
I'm glad you changed to a course which actually interested you, it must be a nightmare if you studied a course you despise for 3, let alone 4 years...

Thanks!
Best of luck with your current course :wink:
And Boo to law 👎😂
Original post by johnd45
Wow haha, that completely affirms my decision to NOT study law!
I'm glad you changed to a course which actually interested you, it must be a nightmare if you studied a course you despise for 3, let alone 4 years...

Thanks!
Best of luck with your current course :wink:
And Boo to law 👎😂

Exactly, don't rack up debts with a degree you know won't prove beneficial for you!
And thank you, spend your gap year well! :tongue:
Reply 15
I'm studying English Lit as my major at Lancaster Uni. Also doing World Lit and French in my first year because Lancaster have this 3-subject thing (a bit like A-levels) in first year. It makes your choices quite flexible I suppose in case you want to change subjects but I feel it's a waste of a year for me because French is taking up a hell of a lot more time! I used to do Law for a term back in 2013.

Ah that does sound very interesting actually :smile:
And Lancaster is amazing! I am very envious lool. I enjoyed French back in GCSE days but at uni, it must kinda challenging!
Reply 16

I was looking at Lancaster, but that's only if I do exceptionally well this Summer. My ideal choices are York, Nottingham, Surrey, Exeter, Durham and Kent
Original post by johnd45
Ah that does sound very interesting actually :smile:
And Lancaster is amazing! I am very envious lool. I enjoyed French back in GCSE days but at uni, it must kinda challenging!

Lancaster is fab! Plus, I wish they paying me to say this but Lancs are top 10 for management (consider them!). :P
If you enjoyed it at GCSE, STOP RIGHT THERE. :afraid:
It was my fave subject at GCSE and at uni...well, I'd rather do David Beckham studies,

Original post by johnd45
I was looking at Lancaster, but that's only if I do exceptionally well this Summer. My ideal choices are York, Nottingham, Surrey, Exeter, Durham and Kent

All great universities, best of luck again with your exams! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Lancaster is fab! Plus, I wish they paying me to say this but Lancs are top 10 for management (consider them!). :P
If you enjoyed it at GCSE, STOP RIGHT THERE. :afraid:
It was my fave subject at GCSE and at uni...well, I'd rather do David Beckham studies,

All great universities, best of luck again with your exams! :biggrin:

Oo that is very tempting, that's one for my motivation there, and if only they cut your tuition fees for saying that LOL. Ah if only courses which seem very relevant to us existed...

For now, Lancaster and Exeter are my "try hard" unis :P

Good luck with everything and thanks for your input on what this thread was originally about 😂
Original post by johnd45
Oo that is very tempting, that's one for my motivation there, and if only they cut your tuition fees for saying that LOL. Ah if only courses which seem very relevant to us existed...

For now, Lancaster and Exeter are my "try hard" unis :P

Good luck with everything and thanks for your input on what this thread was originally about 😂

Psssh, with the Tories in power again, they're bound to increase it, even after my subtle promotion there. LOL, no problem, sorry if I veered off course too much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending