The Student Room Group

The left-wing, sad, immature, naive and un-British

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
Hear hear!
While the extreme "right" (in reality more authoritarian than right) are at least as bad as the extreme left, the slightly less extreme left is much more likely to join in the stupid reaction of the extreme than the right. If the left don't like the outcome of the election they kick up a fuss, if the right don't they mostly keep calm and accept the result.

source?
Original post by Mark8346
source?

No source, merely logic, although I expect there will be sources such as comparing how people react to a Tory and a Labour majority.
Why can't the people of England just let the Scots go if they want to go? Why hold a whole country prisoner?
I know people will say the majority voted to stay in the UK, but that was on the back of Gordon Brown's promise to save pensions. Have we already forgotten that it was Gordon Brown who did more damage to UK pensions than any other person in history - anywhere. All this reminds me of 1984 when after each conflict people don't even notice the contradictions.
(edited 8 years ago)
No source, merely logic, although I expect there will be sources such as comparing how people react to a Tory and a Labour majority.

Is it not at all possible that you suffer from confirmation bias?
Reply 64
Original post by aaronlowe
Why can't the people of England just let the Scots go if they want to go? Why hold a whole country prisoner?
I know people will say the majority voted to stay in the UK, but that was on the back of Gordon Brown's promise to save pensions. Have we already forgotten that it was Gordon Brown who did more damage to UK pensions than any other person in history - anywhere. All this reminds me of 1984 when after each conflict people don't even notice the contradictions.

I think most of the general public are fine with it, but I don't think the Conservative party want to be stuck with the blame of breaking up the United Kingdom.
Original post by billydisco
FT is good, just I don't really fancy paying for a website.

Fair enough, but forgive me if I don't treat the economic analysis of someone too uninterested or broke to stump up less than 40 quid a month as gospel.
Original post by Le Nombre
Fair enough, but forgive me if I don't treat the economic analysis of someone too uninterested or broke to stump up less than 40 quid a month as gospel.

Screw Financial Times. Schiff Radio ftw.
For a while I have claimed the left-wing is un-British. You only have to look at establishments like Sinn Fein, SNP, SDLP, Labour and the Guardian.

Of course Sinn Fein and the SDLP aren't British, they're Irish.:rolleyes:

People have the right to protest in the UK. Some people take that too far, but that isn't exclusive to the left wing. What about all the Unionists who ground Belfast to a halt around Christmas two years ago when a piece of cloth was taken down above a building. I dare you to tell them they're not British.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Just making sure you don't have any delusions.

I spend a lot of my time on the internet explaining to right wingers who use Orwell to prove why the left is evil that Orwell was in fact very left wing.

It;s become a hobby of mine.

You correct that Orwell didn't like a lot of the sneering of parasitism on the left though. Which does still exist today.

Orwell unlike almost all "very left wing" people had the ability to be objective, he deplored the biases of the chattering classes and the partisan lens through which they suppressed unpleasant truths and sought to provide clarity through his writings.

In addition to this his two best known novels in exposing the Left's power-worship in language which now permeates the culture have done so much damage to the cause that those on the other side of the spectrum rightly revere him.

He detested what he called the "pansy left".

He also shopped a list of communists to the State before he died :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hear hear!
While the extreme "right" (in reality more authoritarian than right) are at least as bad as the extreme left, the slightly less extreme left is much more likely to join in the stupid reaction of the extreme than the right. If the left don't like the outcome of the election they kick up a fuss, if the right don't they mostly keep calm and accept the result.

That's because right-wing factions have the backing of some of the wealthiest people on the planet who will stop at nothing to protect their interests. The odds are in their favour, always. Conversely, when all you have is your balls and your word (and any faction that is trying to stand up for the underprivileged isn't going to have a bottomless reservoir of propaganda and electoral funds) you'd kick up a fuss as well.
But the event still took place....... are you debating left-wingers were protesting violently?

You know that is not what I'm saying, it just figures a person like you would use the Daily Mail when you could have used a less biased/conceited/**** newspaper to prove your point.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Daily Fail

You're so original.
Original post by driftawaay
TSR should continue the spring cleaning they began with the crazies on here.

Someone disagrees with you.....ban...I mean spring clean them out.

Facism well and truly alive among the self-proclaimed "anti-Facists" I see. Business as usual...........
Original post by Smash Bandicoot

I was trying to stop advertising this but I'm a skinny, moderately effeminate/metrosexual, bi-curious and nerdy male with a learning disability recovering from mental health problems and consequential social anxiety, from a divorced working class family in the North. Do you think that the Right is going to help me?!

I'm also a well known pseudo Men's Rights Activist. But I take leftist as a compliment, usually the best I get is I'm crazy.

Well you could take the view of Popa Pork.......which is to be against those who are doing their best to import as many people as possible who'd like nothing better than to have you ostrcised at best - stoned to death at worst - for your sexuality.

Areas with a lot of these people are dangerous for people like you ya know........
Complains about left wing
Uses Daily Mail as a source
I think the definition of being "British" is what causes the confusion.

I'm left win and proudly British. Why? Britain is a multi cultural and compassionate nation. However this is not the kind of "British" that most right wingers want to see.

Stop living in the past and embrace the future or be left behind.
Reply 77
Original post by Inexorably
Saw Daily Mail and just :rofl:

you sir, are a genuine retard.
Original post by demx9
you sir, are a genuine retard.

Ironic coming from the one attempting to defend the daily mail :rofl:
Original post by Le Nombre

No I just don't see the point paying for a subscription- I don't read the news enough to warrant bother paying for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending