The Student Room Group

Hey I have a big problem

delete thread please
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mythological
Ok so, I was wondering whether my Politics grade would stop me from getting into a good university. My problem right now is that i got 100% (marks not UMS) in all my maths and further maths AS units apart from s2 which i have a 69/75 in(i took s2 instead of d1 for AS) but i'm on course to get a B or even a C in Government and Politics. I regret taking politics but would this stop me from getting into a good university to study maths even though politics has nothing to do with mathematics

I don't see why it should. You're doing Maths, Further Maths and Politics?
Also depends on what the entry requirements are wherever you choose to pursue your degree. :smile:
Original post by Mochassassin
I don't see why it should. You're doing Maths, Further Maths and Politics?
Also depends on what the entry requirements are wherever you choose to pursue your degree. :smile:

I just find it silly, I want to do a mathematics degree and I have one of the highest UMS for Maths and Further Maths in the country, but to deny me entry because of my politics grade? It defeats common sense...Anyhow, the universities are Durham, Cambridge, Imperial, Manchester and Reading
I just find it silly, I want to do a mathematics degree and I have one of the highest UMS for Maths and Further Maths in the country, but to deny me entry because of my politics grade? It defeats common sense...Anyhow, the universities are Durham, Cambridge, Imperial, Manchester and Reading

Wow, super high entry requirements for those, good luck!
Just wondering...why did you choose Politics in the first place? :smile:
Wow, super high entry requirements for those, good luck!
Just wondering...why did you choose Politics in the first place? :smile:

For some reason I thought I wanted to study Law at university:colondollar: But mathematics is just so fun :P Are you currently in university or are you doing your A levels?
(edited 8 years ago)
For some reason I thought I wanted to study Law at university:colondollar: But mathematics is just so fun :P Are you currently in university or are you doing your A levels?

You're the second person with a question today regarding A-levels who is/was interested in Law, haha. Definitely go for the Maths. I tried Law, it was tedious! Definitely go for the one you enjoy. :biggrin:

I'm at university.
You're the second person with a question today regarding A-levels who is/was interested in Law, haha. Definitely go for the Maths. I tried Law, it was tedious! Definitely go for the one you enjoy. :biggrin:

I'm at university.

I'm currently in a really bad position, I don't want to go to any other university other than Cambridge or Durham (I love the location) But it just makes me so sad that i may not get in even though I've tried so hard:frown:
I'm currently in a really bad position, I don't want to go to any other university other than Cambridge or Durham (I love the location) But it just makes me so sad that i may not get in even though I've tried so hard:frown:

Aw, don't be distraught! You're excellent at Maths and you should be really proud of that! It's hard knowing what you want to pursue for the next 60-odd years of your life when you're 16 so don't feel bad about choosing politics. :smile:
It's good that you're aiming high with these university choices but you have a couple of options here:
1) Try your hardest in Politics to get at least an A/B.
2) Email the universities and ask if they would be willing to accept you with a lower grade in Politics.
3) Consider making a lower-entry-requirement uni your insurance choice. That's essentially what it's there for. :smile:

Plus, there's always clearance and whatnot if all else fails, so stop worrying! :biggrin:
Aw, don't be distraught! You're excellent at Maths and you should be really proud of that! It's hard knowing what you want to pursue for the next 60-odd years of your life when you're 16 so don't feel bad about choosing politics. :smile:
It's good that you're aiming high with these university choices but you have a couple of options here:
1) Try your hardest in Politics to get at least an A/B.
2) Email the universities and ask if they would be willing to accept you with a lower grade in Politics.
3) Consider making a lower-entry-requirement uni your insurance choice. That's essentially what it's there for. :smile:

Plus, there's always clearance and whatnot if all else fails, so stop worrying! :biggrin:

I'm 18, I go to university this year :s-smilie: I've got my AS results and im starting my A2 exams soon:tongue:
I'm 18, I go to university this year :s-smilie: I've got my AS results and im starting my A2 exams soon:tongue:

I know you're 18, lol, but you chose your A-level subjects at 16, no?
So have you firmed your uni choice already or not?
I know you're 18, lol, but you chose your A-level subjects at 16, no?
So have you firmed your uni choice already or not?

Yep, I chose Durham and I had Reading as my insurance
Yep, I chose Durham and I had Reading as my insurance

That's reasonable. :smile: Getting into Reading seems doable if Durham doesn't work out, but let's forget that!

It really is useful to contact the UG department at Durham to ask if they'll let you in with a B/C in Politics. What was your predicted grade in Politics? If they gave you an offer, knowing full well you wouldn't get an A in Politics, then it means they're not expecting you to get it either...? :smile:
That's reasonable. :smile: Getting into Reading seems doable if Durham doesn't work out, but let's forget that!

It really is useful to contact the UG department at Durham to ask if they'll let you in with a B/C in Politics. What was your predicted grade in Politics? If they gave you an offer, knowing full well you wouldn't get an A in Politics, then it means they're not expecting you to get it either...? :smile:

I just scraped an A in politics at AS, I highly doubt I'll get a C but an A*A*B isn't bad
I just scraped an A in politics at AS, I highly doubt I'll get a C but an A*A*B isn't bad

Then I honestly have no idea why you're worrying. A*A*B is amazing, not just 'not bad'.

Quick Reply

Latest