The Student Room Group

Is economics (BA) totally useless?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by senz72
I have clinical depression and

Spoiler

Hence I have mit circs if I believe I would have done better. I personally think I would have done much better especially regarding that I got one of the lowest scores on the exam. :s

Oh.. I'm really sorry to hear that.. I have clinical depression too but no suicidal tendencies.
Original post by senz72
Cheers, sorry about the creepy PM.

Wasn't creepy lol

Would reply but your mailbox is too full :tongue:
Original post by senz72
I have clinical depression and

Spoiler

Hence I have mit circs if I believe I would have done better. I personally think I would have done much better especially regarding that I got one of the lowest scores on the exam. :s

Oh no :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by PPF
Oh.. I'm really sorry to hear that.. I have clinical depression too but no suicidal tendencies.

That's fine. It's just the way I am. It's the reason why I've left revision a day before the exam. i just can't stop crying.

Spoiler

Reply 24
Original post by *Thedreaming*
Wasn't creepy lol

Would reply but your mailbox is too full :tongue:

Cleared out. I don't know. You might have fellow Economists around you but I unfortunately don't. I don't really get along with anyone here at York so I thought I'd try and reach out in the hope I can at least help you with your future. :colondollar:

Don't worry about what I've said to PPF. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by senz72
That's fine. It's just the way I am. It's the reason why I've left revision a day before the exam. i just can't stop crying.

Spoiler

Are you in contact with your unis student well-being service?
Reply 26
Original post by PPF
Are you in contact with your unis student well-being service?

Yep, Open-door (uni MH service), crisis team, nightline, student welfare & currently 5 months in with CMHT. So I am getting support, I'm just getting worse at the same time. It's fine. :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by senz72
Yep, Open-door (uni MH service), crisis team, nightline, student welfare & currently 5 months in with CMHT. So I am getting support, I'm just getting worse at the same time. It's fine. :smile:

Is there something deep in your heart which you've kept concealed? Maybe some form of guilt, an event in your life or maybe even something you desire?
Reply 28
Original post by PPF
Is there something deep in your heart which you've kept concealed? Maybe some form of guilt, an event in your life or maybe even something you desire?

I don't think so. There's the guilt that I should have worked harder and at this very moment work harder in order to get my family out of poverty but other than that, not really. My life has always frankly been **** so I don't know.
I fear that my degree is totally useless and will not earn me a job.

What fields can I go into? Is it possible to earn an okish living with it?

Not necessarily, as long as you're not going for any highly mathematical roles I don't think it would disadvantage you. Although I think for post grad (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), the lack of mathematical rigour would probably make the transition more strenuous.

Well there's the common generalist roles in Finance, Management, Consultancy, Commerce etc... which most Econ graduates tend to go into, but pretty much anything that doesn't specify a degree. I don't really think any employer really looks much into BA vs BSc, other factors such as what else you have on your CV and interview skills would be preeminent. For the majority of Econ-specific roles you would tend to need a post grad.

Saying this as someone also doing a BA in Econ.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Not necessarily, as long as you're not going for any highly mathematical roles I don't think it would disadvantage you. Although I think for post grad (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), the lack of mathematical rigour would probably make the transition more strenuous.

Well there's the common generalist roles in Finance, Management, Consultancy, Commerce etc... which most Econ graduates tend to go into, but pretty much anything that doesn't specify a degree. I don't really think any employer really looks much into BA vs BSc, other factors such as what else you have on your CV and interview skills would be preeminent. For the majority of Econ-specific roles you would tend to need a post grad.

Hello,

What kind of modules do you study in a BA? Like do you have the option of studying Financial Economics and/or Econometrics?

Thanks for the reply

I'm not planning to go into a mathematical field, but I may want to persue a masters and already know the lack of maths puts me at a huge disadvantage

I may get some sort of maths tutor to fil the gaps
Yeah I have to do an econometrics module, but it's not mandatory for 3rd year
Original post by PPF
Hello,

What kind of modules do you study in a BA? Like do you have the option of studying Financial Economics and/or Econometrics?

I'm in 1st year and this year we're doing Micro, Macro, Maths & Stats, Economic History and Politics. But yes 2nd year metrics is compulsory for us.

Thanks for the reply

I'm not planning to go into a mathematical field, but I may want to persue a masters and already know the lack of maths puts me at a huge disadvantage

I may get some sort of maths tutor to fil the gaps

Also, I'm not sure what year of education you're in, but if you have the choice in modules you could perhaps pick the more quantitative ones such as mathematical methods or econometrics, game theory etc?

Are you looking to do a straight Economics master or in an particular area? As that would influence the level of maths required.
I'm in 1st year and this year we're doing Micro, Macro, Maths & Stats, Economic History and Politics. But yes 2nd year metrics is compulsory for us.

Also, I'm not sure what year of education you're in, but if you have the choice in modules you could perhaps pick the more quantitative ones such as mathematical methods or econometrics, game theory etc?

Are you looking to do a straight Economics master or in an particular area? As that would influence the level of maths required.

I want to do a masters in development econ

I've seen the modules of a possible masters and it has metrics as a core module

I'm not great at the maths modules so I won't be taking any in third year

Your modules sound really interesting btw, economic history <3
Original post by am_blue
How different are the BA Economics and BSc? I do BSc and it's a very Maths-y, I'm guessing BA isn't very mathematical?

Have a look at the Economics Degree article on here. Generally speaking, yes, BSc Econ >. BA Econ because the Bsc is more mathsy. BA Econs are generally designed for people who want to study economics but don't want to do as much maths, thus meaning fewer job prospects.

However, there are some exceptions. For example, at universities such as Nottingham and Sheffield, the BA econ is designed for flexibility, so students can do exactly the same modules as the BSc students, bar the maths modules being OPTIONAL. In these cases, BA=BSc as long as the maths modules are taken.

Hope this helps.
I fear that my degree is totally useless and will not earn me a job.

What fields can I go into? Is it possible to earn an okish living with it?

Totally? No, not totally, no way, unless .....

No other fields if the course was not able to educate you to think, for which the result would be a destitute future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending