The Student Room Group

AQA Economics AS May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nicole_Streakyy
Thankss, really helpful :smile:

Already found it helped me a lot in multiple choice questions
I'm so scared
Anyone else excited for this? I can't wait.
Original post by Exceptional
Anyone else excited for this? I can't wait.

So long as I get my merit/demerit/positive/negative externality question.
The question is normally something topical. I have a feeling a question about plain cigarette packaging as the best way to reduce output in that industry may be a good bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lewissteele
The question is normally something topical. I have a feeling a question about plain cigarette packaging as the best way to reduce output in that industry may be a good bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would you talk about
Hi, Does anyone know how to deal with the excess supply that is generated by minimum pricing on demerit goods (i.e. alcohol)?
As in:

Do firms export the excess supply? or do firms distribute it via black market? or do I just say that they deserve it because they were profiting from selling demerit goods?

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TommyBrecon
Hi, Does anyone know how to deal with the excess supply that is generated by minimum pricing on demerit goods (i.e. alcohol)?
As in:

Price
l
l D /S
Pmin l_____\__ /______
l \ /
P0 l \/
l /\
l / \
l______________________ QdQs
Q0

Do firms export the excess supply? or do firms distribute it via black market? or do I just say that they deserve it because they were profiting from selling demerit goods?

Thanks

The government normally has to buy up the excess supply when they set a minimum price law (known as intervention buying), then they dispose of it, which is a a waste of scarce resources and inefficient.
Original post by BBeyond
The government normally has to buy up the excess supply when they set a minimum price law (known as intervention buying), then they dispose of it, which is a a waste of scarce resources and inefficient.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks :smile:
Original post by krippleman1
What would you talk about

Basically draw on cigs being a demerit good.

Intro define demerit good talk about consumers not understand the negative externalities in terms of health care in later life

P1 Argue for plain packaging draw the negative consumption diag. Evaluate by saying its not really effective anyway due to the elasticities of cigarettes

P2 Say an alternative eg increase tax and evaluate that eg opp cost and govt failure

P3 draw on another point from extract
How would you write a 25 marker on ake thing about negative externality eg pollution. Like can someone just plan it out for me please:smile:
Original post by Turbo1
My guesses are:

Housing Market
Milk Market
Fracking
Healthcare
Cigarettes

What would you say about the housing markets? The only thing I can think of is maximum prices

Posted from TSR Mobile

how up-to-date is this? e.g. are the figures still relevant?
Original post by Turbo1
The webinar was the other day - so very up to date :smile:

oh sick cheers for this then :biggrin:
Do you reckon that monopolies will come up as a question 4?

Can someone help me with this question? The answer is D but I don't understand how?
Original post by ridirahman

Can someone help me with this question? The answer is D but I don't understand how?

Wait isn't the answer B?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by examstress10
Do you reckon that monopolies will come up as a question 4?

According to my teacher it's the 2nd most likely, after housing market so very likely!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending