The Student Room Group

Is job hopping bad?

I had an interview before where the interviewer said he wanted to see applicants to stay in a job for more than a few years; if not, he won't necessarily consider them for the job.

Do you or the people you've worked with consider job hopping bad?
I don't consider job hopping bad. What's the point in remaining in a job you don't like just for the sake of not wanting to be judged for leaving?
That's pretty unrealistic of him in this day and age, people move jobs a lot now.

There's a limit, though - if you have never had one for longer than 6 months (I mean full-time work, not casual or student jobs) then yeah, that's going to be cause for concern unless there are good reasons why.
Reply 3
Original post by EdmundWoodstock
I don't consider job hopping bad. What's the point in remaining in a job you don't like just for the sake of not wanting to be judged for leaving?

How about staying more or less than 1 year each?

Original post by Antifazian
That's pretty unrealistic of him in this day and age, people move jobs a lot now.

There's a limit, though - if you have never had one for longer than 6 months (I mean full-time work, not casual or student jobs) then yeah, that's going to be cause for concern unless there are good reasons why.

Yes, he also said that he doesn't want to see people just staying 6 months and then leave.

But a mate of mine has been getting some discouraging feedbacks for changing companies for every 2 years. .
Reply 4
If they are permanent jobs and you can't offer really solid reasons (e.g. harassment) for going from 1 job to another to another over a very short space of time, it's going to look unreliable to an employer.

However, if it's just temp. work then it's perfectly understandable. I've had uhh 6 jobs in past 1.5 years which were all temps, so it's not really a problem :tongue:
Original post by kka25
How about staying more or less than 1 year each?

Yes, he also said that he doesn't want to see people just staying 6 months and then leave.

But a mate of mine has been getting some discouraging feedbacks for changing companies for every 2 years. .

I'm not a hiring manager or anything, but I would've thought that changing jobs every 2-3 years early on in your career is quite normal these days.
Original post by kka25
I had an interview before where the interviewer said he wanted to see applicants to stay in a job for more than a few years; if not, he won't necessarily consider them for the job.

Depends on the industry I think. In mine it's common for people to move around fairly regularly, mainly to collect a pay rise I think.
Original post by kka25

If your work is unskilled and you are not actually in a 'career' role, then it doesn't matter. However, as a hiring manager, if you are looking at someone for a career post, then yes, it most certainly is one of the red flags. I'm simply not going to invest in someone who is going to absorb the training/experience and take it somewhere else as soon as they are operating to standard, and leave me with no return.

Some of the attitudes above are classic indicators of what hiring managers are actively seeking to avoid through the interview process. Less than six months is fine while a student and if the job is basic retail, but anything with a professional company raises a red flag. A couple of moves at the start of a career that are less than 2 years is ok. 2-3 year stays through your 20s is OK, but unless you are working in a real project based sector, you may struggle to get real managerial role without stability in a role/organisation of 5-10 years.
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
If your work is unskilled and you are not actually in a 'career' role, then it doesn't matter. However, as a hiring manager, if you are looking at someone for a career post, then yes, it most certainly is one of the red flags. I'm simply not going to invest in someone who is going to absorb the training/experience and take it somewhere else as soon as they are operating to standard, and leave me with no return.

Some of the attitudes above are classic indicators of what hiring managers are actively seeking to avoid through the interview process. Less than six months is fine while a student and if the job is basic retail, but anything with a professional company raises a red flag. A couple of moves at the start of a career that are less than 2 years is ok. 2-3 year stays through your 20s is OK, but unless you are working in a real project based sector, you may struggle to get real managerial role without stability in a role/organisation of 5-10 years.

How do you mean by leaving you with no return?

So, when you're in your 30s you should stayed at least 5 years in a company?
Reply 9
Original post by Smack
Depends on the industry I think. In mine it's common for people to move around fairly regularly, mainly to collect a pay rise I think.

What's your industry?
Original post by kka25

personally I think it depends on your perceived competency.

If you are viewed as a very capable/intelligent person, they jumping between jobs may just be seen as you quickly climbing the ladder to a position that matches your skill level..

if you are viewed as a normally or lesser abled person, then jumping between jobs may just be seen as a lack of commitment or or the inability to do your job.

Which one of these catagories you are viewed in will depend on the rest of your application, interview skills, abilities, history etc.
Original post by kka25
What's your industry?

Oil.
Original post by kka25
How do you mean by leaving you with no return?

So, when you're in your 30s you should stayed at least 5 years in a company?

When you are learning a professional, career type job, until you have seen at least one full year/business cycle/round of seasons - nearly always some form of a full 12 months, you are a business risk. You may not be able to cope with Christmas sales, end of year business, the budgeting cycle, launches or whatever is relevant to your sector. So during that period, and it can be longer, you are not working at full capacity for the employer (though hopefully you are working at your full capacity). The employer only gets a return on their investment in your recruitment costs, training costs, mentoring/observation costs (ie more senior staff spending time on developing your skills, explaining the business etc) when you not only are experienced enough to work reliably on your own, but when you get good enough to add additional value to the role. That added value usually only happens after year 2.
Reply 13
Original post by threeportdrift
When you are learning a professional, career type job, until you have seen at least one full year/business cycle/round of seasons - nearly always some form of a full 12 months, you are a business risk. You may not be able to cope with Christmas sales, end of year business, the budgeting cycle, launches or whatever is relevant to your sector. So during that period, and it can be longer, you are not working at full capacity for the employer (though hopefully you are working at your full capacity). The employer only gets a return on their investment in your recruitment costs, training costs, mentoring/observation costs (ie more senior staff spending time on developing your skills, explaining the business etc) when you not only are experienced enough to work reliably on your own, but when you get good enough to add additional value to the role. That added value usually only happens after year 2.

But how does one stay in the same company for 5 to 10 or 30 years? I just cant even fathom it at the moment : /
Original post by kka25
But how does one stay in the same company for 5 to 10 or 30 years? I just cant even fathom it at the moment : /

As J-SP says, you find a community you like, a role you enjoy and you strike the right balance of getting promoted and getting diversity and challenge from that and/or finding your level and something you do want to stick and for years. Within any organisation there are usually a range of career development opportunities from within.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending