The Student Room Group

Advice on A level reforms please

I already have bad GCSEs- Bs and Cs and am doing terrible in my AS levels. I just know I'm going to have to go to a new college and start afresh (rather than resitting the year alongside A2).

However the A level reforms seem pretty scary. When applying to universities, what do they go off? Someone said they go off GCSEs but I'm hoping its mock results and predicted grades. Do you think Manchester will look down on me for having to resit and because I have bad GCSEs? It's not as if I want to do law or medicine, just psychology.

I know this is subjective but how much harder are the A level reforms going to be? Will the style of the exam paper change? Or is it basically the same but with more content?
Original post by Maya331
I already have bad GCSEs- Bs and Cs and am doing terrible in my AS levels. I just know I'm going to have to go to a new college and start afresh (rather than resitting the year alongside A2).

However the A level reforms seem pretty scary. When applying to universities, what do they go off? Someone said they go off GCSEs but I'm hoping its mock results and predicted grades. Do you think Manchester will look down on me for having to resit and because I have bad GCSEs? It's not as if I want to do law or medicine, just psychology.

I know this is subjective but how much harder are the A level reforms going to be? Will the style of the exam paper change? Or is it basically the same but with more content?

Hello :smile:

I wrote this a few months back - I hope it helps you

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=13715-A-student-s-guide-to-A-level-reforms

Any questions just let me know :h:
Reply 2
Original post by She-Ra

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=13715-A-student-s-guide-to-A-level-reforms

Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by Maya331
Thanks a lot :smile:

You're very welcome :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by She-Ra

Hi, I think I might be in a similar situation. Should I have to retake my AS again do I have to choose the same subjects I did bad in or can I make a change in the subjects that I do
Original post by Maya331

This is me at the moment. As long as you get E you can go onto A2 but it means a lot of work and it depends where you are schooling.
I don't want to do these reformed AS levels either. They are scary, we have so many opportunities now so we need to use it.
Reply 6
Original post by Cherry82
This is me at the moment. As long as you get E you can go onto A2 but it means a lot of work and it depends where you are schooling.
I don't want to do these reformed AS levels either. They are scary, we have so many opportunities now so we need to use it.

I'd absolutely hate to go on to A2 with an E though, I just really want to start afresh. But then again, if you get an E, you can go on to A2 and resit the E, is that what you're planning on doing?

Would you rather resit A/S along with A2 rather than starting again with the A level reform thingy?
Original post by Maya331
I'd absolutely hate to go on to A2 with an E though, I just really want to start afresh. But then again, if you get an E, you can go on to A2 and resit the E, is that what you're planning on doing?

Would you rather resit A/S along with A2 rather than starting again with the A level reform thingy?

I really don't know. The thing is recently I dropped an AS level (Maths) and I regret it so much. Now I'm doing English Literature, Physics and Chemistry- due to terrible organisation in my school, students are suffering having to re-do their coursework pieces and practicals. I didn't help either.
I can see myself receiving BCU at AS level as now I only have time to study for two subjects. If I had made this decision earlier, I would have got at least BBB at as level.
If I decide to take the BC to A level, I would have to pick up an AS which I wouldn't want as I would like to have three full A-levels.
I would probably start again but that's for me because my college would accept me. They said if I got Us, I could do the subjects again and my year here would be erased. They also said that if I did well in my second year, Russell groups could still take me which is true because I called up Durham, Imperial, Bristol and Birmingham and they said that it's fine but my grades have to be really good.
I wish they weren't changing because though these universities have said this, I've heard that because of reforms, it would be harder to get in so repeating, you'd have to be on top of everything in terms of academics.

But in your case, I really think you should continue. Work hard in A2 and if the worse happens, take a gap year to resit so of your modules. You have the privileged of past papers, revision books and resources based on the older specification. For the new one, it's few and the papers look different.

Quick Reply

Latest