The Student Room Group

please tell me examiners don't make mistakes

Every science exam i've done, my teacher has marked it wrong and i always manage to find 3-4 marks. I know my science teacher is s p a s t i c and I would like to know if examiners won't make the same mistake and are the chances of them making a mistake very low? Because i don't want an A if I actually got A*, I need justice,
Original post by shwansalah
Every science exam i've done, my teacher has marked it wrong and i always manage to find 3-4 marks. I know my science teacher is s p a s t i c and I would like to know if examiners won't make the same mistake and are the chances of them making a mistake very low? Because i don't want an A if I actually got A*, I need justice,

It depends how you 'manage to find 3-4 marks'. If you find them because you look at the past papers and say "I thought I answered that right, I'll give myself a few more marks for that", then your teacher probably hasn't marked it wrong and that's genuinely what they thought your mark should be.

If they were general mistakes where there could only be one specific answer (e.g. for a one marker - it's been a while since I've done GCSE science so I can't think of any!), then they have marked it wrong.

Examiners can make mistakes with marking, that's why some people get their papers remarked because they thought they deserved a higher mark. So I suppose if it gets to results day and you get an A, you can always ask for it to be remarked but be careful in case your mark goes down instead of up.
Reply 2
Of course they can mistakes - they are human. It's more common in essay/subjective subjects though, rather than academic subjects like science.
Reply 3
If you literally base your answers according to mark schemes, there's an unlikely chance the examiners will make mistakes. A teacher can tell you the right answer but you may still get marked down because you haven't answered it the way the exam wants you to.
Everyone makes mistakes but examiners are well trained and they know how to mark papers. My teacher always makes mistakes also. He seems to not even use the marking scheme but he's a teacher not an examiner so I'm not worried. Just do your best.
They are human, of course they do.
They are supposed to be 'experts'
Reply 7
I swear more than one examiner marks your paper? So if one examiner made a mistake, another moderator might be able to spot it...
Original post by kxylah
I swear more than one examiner marks your paper? So if one examiner made a mistake, another moderator might be able to spot it...

They don't do that for all papers that'd take too long. The markers have to have their first few marked papers double checked in order to pass and they have to ask their "team leader" if they're unsure but that's it. They also take a sample of marked ones to remark but not all.
Reply 9
Original post by aimeelovescats
They don't do that for all papers that'd take too long. The markers have to have their first few marked papers double checked in order to pass and they have to ask their "team leader" if they're unsure but that's it. They also take a sample of marked ones to remark but not all.

ohh i didn't know that!
Are you allowed to request your exam paper back after results day?
Original post by kxylah
ohh i didn't know that!

I'm not sure tbh and I don't want to give the wrong answer haha. According my science teacher if your teacher believes that the grade is wrong and they think you deserved better they might request it to be remarked but I'm not sure. :tongue: I only know the other because I was researching it the other day
Original post by kxylah

They only pass it down to other examiners if they couldn't read your handwriting. but apparently my teachers said that every single question in the exam paper is marked by a different examiner :s-smilie:
Original post by shwansalah

Yes. They make mistakes but not very often, especially rarely in these subjects. It is their job after all.
Original post by kxylah
ohh i didn't know that!

Yes but you must pay for it. Really sad that we gotta pay for our own papers
Re-marks exist for a reason.
Ikr ! They should make is so if you get it remarked and your mark goes up you get the money back. You shouldn't have to pay for a grade you clearly deserve.
Original post by aimeelovescats
Ikr ! They should make is so if you get it remarked and your mark goes up you get the money back. You shouldn't have to pay for a grade you clearly deserve.

This is already the case. If your grade changes either up or down they refund you.
Original post by morgan8002
This is already the case. If your grade changes either up or down they refund you.

My brother had his remarked and it went up 1 mark and they said because it didn't change grade boundaries they wouldn't refund him. That's still unfair

Quick Reply

Latest