The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnnaMossy
so if you had sex at 14 that is against the law but at the same time its your decision. if youve had sex at 16 legally, with protection i can understand why they'd be upset, my mum is the exact same with me ( I'm not allowed round my boyfriends house anymore because i sat on his lap lol ) so its probably that they're just trying to protect you, but you can't take back that youve done it now and if it was completely your decision you need to respect that. they probably just think you're growing up too fast so even though it doesn't seem great they probably are just trying to think of whats the best for you, i forget the sometimes when me and mum argue, which is a lot. So you just gotta let them say all the nasty things they're gonna say and focus on your work, because right now your exams are more important than pointless arguing. besides only two more years till you can move out :wink:

Oh spare us the rhetoric it's not illegal to have sex at 14 as long as the OP didn't have sex with someone older than 17 it's totally safe and legal. I wish more young girls had the same foresight as the OP and carried protection. Being a prude about sex only leads to an immature view on sex and leads to inadequacy down the line that manifests itself as teenage pregnancy/abortions and STDs.
Original post by MUTTA
totally agreed

I'm absolutely appalled at that poster for kicking a 16 year old when she's already down it's heartless too imo especially when you're a girl yourself and you should be able to empathise.
Original post by MUTTA
by looking at your picture my assumption is that your a sket?

:hubba:
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
You had sex at 14? I'm not surprised they think that.

Says the girl with her breasts popping out in her profile pic...
Original post by Daenerys...
What's wrong with having sex at 14? Slut shaming a 16 year old girl when you're a 20 something year old woman yourself is more reprehensible in my eyes.

What is a ripe age to engage in sexual activities?

Well it's kind of illegal...

And I don't think it is more reprehensible.

Either way, you seem like a troll wherever you post.
x

Sex at 14 is common and healthy. In the Netherlands, it's the age of consent. I don't really understand your prejudice here. Sure, it's technically against the law but I'd argue the law in the current state is left as it is only to protect minors from adult predators without confusing matters. two 14 year olds exploring their sexuality is hardly something to be ashamed of. Get over yourself.
Well it's kind of illegal...

And I don't think it is more reprehensible.

Either way, you seem like a troll wherever you post.

The law that you keep parroting is there protect young people from would-be adult abusers, using it to prohibit sex in 14 year olds is akin to outlawing snogging which is illegal according to your so-called law. If both are consenting and are ready for sex you'll be hard pressed to prosecute both or either of them moreover who is doing the prosecuting?

Of course you don't think it's reprehensible to slut shame a 16 year old for something they did when they were 14 when you're a holier than thou 20 something woman with morals that don't quite match the image you perpetuate.

Get of the soap box Mary no one gives a **** what 14 years get up to.
Original post by hockham jaynsaw
Sex at 14 is common and healthy. In the Netherlands, it's the age of consent. I don't really understand your prejudice here. Sure, it's technically against the law but I'd argue the law in the current state is left as it is only to protect minors from adult predators without confusing matters. two 14 year olds exploring their sexuality is hardly something to be ashamed of. Get over yourself.

Original post by Daenerys...
The law that you keep parroting is there protect young people from would-be adult abusers, using it to prohibit sex in 14 year olds is akin to outlawing snogging which is illegal according to your so-called law. If both are consenting and are ready for sex you'll be hard pressed to prosecute both or either of them moreover who is doing the prosecuting?

Of course you don't think it's reprehensible to slut shame a 16 year old for something they did when they were 14 when you're a holier than thou 20 something woman with morals that don't quite match the image you perpetuate.

Get of the soap box Mary no one gives a **** what 14 years get up to.

Can somebody get that echo fixed?

ixed

ixed

xed

ed

d
Can somebody get that echo fixed?

I doubt she actually believes what she is saying rather she is making up an excuse for why she slut-shamed the OP. It's rather silly imo.
Oh come on, this nonsense about sex being okay at bloody 14 years old! Read that! 14 years old!! What were you doing at 14 years old. 14 is the age you begin considering your GCSE options, that is Year 9. What does a 14 year old know about sex? Why are they engaging in sex? Sex should only happen between two mature individuals. If sex at 14 was soo good, then the age of consent would not be 16 in the UK. Absolute nonsense. Protected or unprotected, condoms are only 99% people seem to forget that. No contraception is 100%, if she got pregnant at 14 all of you agreeing with this behaviour would be singing a rather different tune.

OP, why did you carry condoms if you've only had sex twice in your life, and had no intention of using them? Yes you're legally of age and should be now mature enough to be educated about sex. You should sit down with your parents and explain that to them. If they refuse to acknowledge that then, so be it. Actions speak louder than words, focus on your education and the abusive comments from your parents would most likely end.
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
Oh come on, this nonsense about sex being okay at bloody 14 years old! Read that! 14 years old!! What were you doing at 14 years old. 14 is the age you begin considering your GCSE options, that is Year 9. What does a 14 year old know about sex? Why are they engaging in sex? Sex should only happen between two mature individuals. If sex at 14 was soo good, then the age of consent would not be 16 in the UK. Absolute nonsense. Protected or unprotected, condoms are only 99% people seem to forget that. No contraception is 100%, if she got pregnant at 14 all of you agreeing with this behaviour would be singing a rather different tune..

I had sex at 14. I don't understand the big deal. It was pretty normal, especially in the more popular circles.

Sex was fun; We were safe. Why the issue?
I had sex at 14. I don't understand the big deal. It was pretty normal, especially in the more popular circles.

Sex was fun; We were safe. Why the issue?

No wonder, you should not have been having sex at 14. All illegality aside. My moral point of view is, you should only be engaging in sex when you can fully take on the consequences and responsibilities that can occur afterwards.

If a 14 year old girl has sex protected, bearing in mind condoms are 99% effective, then she gets pregnant. Do you think she would be emotionally ready for that? Absolutely not. Compared to a 16 year old, who would be able to support herself and is more emotionally mature to deal with the consequences.

If you are not old enough to deal with the consequences of sex, you should not be having sex period. I do not care how 'mature' a 14 year old can be, 14 year olds should not have to deal with the stress of pregnancy or abortions. No wonder the UK had such a high rate of teenage pregnancies at one point.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
Oh come on, this nonsense about sex being okay at bloody 14 years old! Read that! 14 years old!! What were you doing at 14 years old. 14 is the age you begin considering your GCSE options, that is Year 9. What does a 14 year old know about sex? Why are they engaging in sex? Sex should only happen between two mature individuals. If sex at 14 was soo good, then the age of consent would not be 16 in the UK. Absolute nonsense. Protected or unprotected, condoms are only 99% people seem to forget that. No contraception is 100%, if she got pregnant at 14 all of you agreeing with this behaviour would be singing a rather different tune. OP, why did you carry condoms if you've only had sex twice in your life, and had no intention of using them? Yes you're legally of age and should be now mature enough to be educated about sex. You should sit down with your parents and explain that to them. If they refuse to acknowledge that then, so be it. Actions speak louder than words, focus on your education and the abusive comments from your parents would most likely end.

I couldn't of said it any better. You parents were young dont forget that so they understand what peoples intentions are when they carry contraception. You need to be honest with yourself and not act like you're the victim because if you were to have sex with a condom and become pregnant, it wouldn't just impact you but your parents as well
Oh come on, this nonsense about sex being okay at bloody 14 years old! Read that! 14 years old!! What were you doing at 14 years old. 14 is the age you begin considering your GCSE options, that is Year 9. What does a 14 year old know about sex? Why are they engaging in sex? Sex should only happen between two mature individuals. If sex at 14 was soo good, then the age of consent would not be 16 in the UK. Absolute nonsense. Protected or unprotected, condoms are only 99% people seem to forget that. No contraception is 100%, if she got pregnant at 14 all of you agreeing with this behaviour would be singing a rather different tune.

OP, why did you carry condoms if you've only had sex twice in your life, and had no intention of using them? Yes you're legally of age and should be now mature enough to be educated about sex. You should sit down with your parents and explain that to them. If they refuse to acknowledge that then, so be it. Actions speak louder than words, focus on your education and the abusive comments from your parents would most likely end.

Exactly this. Preach!!:top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No wonder, you should not have been having sex 14. All illegality aside. My moral point of view is, you should only be engaging in sex when you can fully taken on the consequences and responsibilities that can occur afterwards.

If a 14 year old girl has sex protected, bearing in mind condoms are 99% effective, then she gets pregnant. Do you think she would be emotionally ready for that? Absolutely not. Compared to a 16 year old, who would be able to support herself and is more emotionally mature to deal with the consequences.

If you are not old enough to deal with the consequences of sex, you should not be having sex period. I do not care how 'mature' a 14 year old can be, 14 year olds should not have to deal with the stress of pregnancy or abortions. No wonder the UK had such a high rate of teenage pregnancies at one point.

Netherlands has 14 age of consent. Japan 13. Japan also has lowest rates of teen pregnancy. Why? Because in these places teen sex isn't taboo. It's talked about and then they are safe about.

People have been having kids at that age for centuries without issues. The age of consent is there to protect against adult predators -- not because the government is concerned that two 14 year olds are at it.
Original post by JXLS
I couldn't of said it any better. You parents were young dont forget that so they understand what peoples intentions are when they carry contraception. You need to be honest with yourself and not act like you're the victim because if you were to have sex with a condom and become pregnant, it wouldn't just impact you but your parents as well

Exactly! People are so naive these days, they assume that using condoms will be their saving grace. Many people get pregnant every year that were using protection. If an adult can get pregnant with protection, you're telling me an inexperienced 14 year old will be more educated and more informed to avoid pregnancy and unwanted STDs/STIs?
Netherlands has 14 age of consent. Japan 13. Japan also has lowest rates of teen pregnancy. Why? Because in these places teen sex isn't taboo. It's talked about and then they are safe about.

People have been having kids at that age for centuries without issues. The age of consent is there to protect against adult predators -- not because the government is concerned that two 14 year olds are at it.

This is not the Netherlands, this is not Japan. You are forgetting their education systems and cultures are completely different from the UK. I live in the UK, I am talking about the UK.

Just because it was absolutely fine for 14 year olds to get married and have kids, which emotionally affected them in a negative way, does not mean that it is appropriate in 2015. You are only saying it is acceptable, because you had sex at 14.

The age of consent is also there to protect children! Do not be naive, should i start naming cases where underage people have been convicted and put on the child sex offenders register for having sex with other underage children? Please.
Nothing will be solved unless you really do talk to your parents, whether that will be in letter form or not. Don't worry, cast your worries on how they judge you aside and focus on your exams. Explain to them that you want to do well in your Exams and that their comments are not helping.
I wish you the best of luck! ^.^

No one said it better, completely agree with you
This is not the Netherlands, this is not Japan. You are forgetting their education systems and cultures are completely different from the UK. I live in the UK, I am talking about the UK.

Just because it was absolutely fine for 14 year olds to get married and have kids, which emotionally affected them in a negative way, does not mean that it is appropriate in 2015. You are only saying it is acceptable, because you had sex at 14.

The age of consent is also there to protect children! Do not be naive, should i start naming cases where underage people have been convicted and put on the child sex offenders register for having sex with other underage children? Please.

Well, for what it's worth, whatever your views. I had sex multiple times before 16 with multiple partners and not one pregnancy, not one STD. I just don't see the issue.

As for me only saying it because I had sex at 14, are you only saying it because you didn't? I think that's a very poor argument. You've rattled off a lot of rhetoric and emotional argument, ad homien and other fallacies. Could you provide something more concrete?

My argument is that the correlation between age of consent and teen pregnancy shows that being open about sex with teens reduces the negatives. Your argument talks about emotional preparedness without any real fact or stats to prove such assertions. Please, provide. Else your argument is all talk.

Latest

Trending

Trending