The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Science Question

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _ariane29
That's so unfair! I hope your work gets moderated and remarked I don't think that's fair at all :frown: I somehow managed to get 48, I don't know who marked mine or how but I swear I had no idea what I was doing and my teachers must be super generous. So I can agree with what you're saying some teachers are generous, others not so much and you think they would be considering it reflects the quality of their teaching.

Character Profiling is also a huge issue. I know someone apparantly copied an A* students work and still got a D for his CA. I mean, it'd be understandable if they got a B as they may have miscopied some stuff but to have such a gap only because the D grade student is generally perceived as dumb ( not saying he deserved the A* but it definitely shows character profiling) as the teacher clearly though the D student was incapable thus gave him a lower mark
Original post by HarryKane28
Character Profiling is also a huge issue. I know someone apparantly copied an A* students work and still got a D for his CA. I mean, it'd be understandable if they got a B as they may have miscopied some stuff but to have such a gap only because the D grade student is generally perceived as dumb ( not saying he deserved the A* but it definitely shows character profiling) as the teacher clearly though the D student was incapable thus gave him a lower mark

Yeah can agree with that ! , My friend copied all of my coursework in his own words and I can tell that his one was much better than mine, but of course my teacher "doesn't like him" for reasons when he was in year 7&8 so she has a negative perspective of him from 4 years ago but he changed immensely but she considers him dumb even when we did our mocks we all checked the mark scheme in lesson and he got 15 marks extra ;/ !! its character profiling
GUYS! we cant do anything about the coursework now :frown: Lets focus on our exams now try to get 74/75 UMS on each paper and youll be fine.. Everyone ready ?
Original post by A*GLORYHUNTER
GUYS! we cant do anything about the coursework now :frown: Lets focus on our exams now try to get 74/75 UMS on each paper and youll be fine.. Everyone ready ?

Yes I am ready :smile: Sorry but this is my first GCSE so can you please explain to me what ums is?
Original post by _ariane29
Yes I am ready :smile: Sorry but this is my first GCSE so can you please explain to me what ums is?

Oh alright so basically UMS= uniform mark scale, so whatever mark you get the exam board will convert it into UMS marks ( I think it alows the exam board to compare it with other series/examinations), for Edexcel science an exam is out of 60, but they convert it into a UMS out of 80, its usually 72 for a low A* and 64 for a low A, the UMS always stays the same but the boundaries change - to get 74/75 its usually between 50- if it was hard and 55/56 if it was easy, so if you acheived a 74 on all three which is 222 ( So around 50-55 on all papers) you will then need around 66 to get 288 which is an A* and 66 is around 40/41 on the controlled assessment, but lets say you got a B like other people on this thread (High B) which is around 62/63 (around 37 raw mark) this means we need around 75 on each paper which will give us around 225 with 63 on coursework will give us 288= A* ----------- You really dont need to worry about UMS but if you get a continous mid 50's in all the exams and a B on the coursework you can get an A*
Oh alright so basically UMS= uniform mark scale, so whatever mark you get the exam board will convert it into UMS marks ( I think it alows the exam board to compare it with other series/examinations), for Edexcel science an exam is out of 60, but they convert it into a UMS out of 80, its usually 72 for a low A* and 64 for a low A, the UMS always stays the same but the boundaries change - to get 74/75 its usually between 50- if it was hard and 55/56 if it was easy, so if you acheived a 74 on all three which is 222 ( So around 50-55 on all papers) you will then need around 66 to get 288 which is an A* and 66 is around 40/41 on the controlled assessment, but lets say you got a B like other people on this thread (High B) which is around 62/63 (around 37 raw mark) this means we need around 75 on each paper which will give us around 225 with 63 on coursework will give us 288= A* ----------- You really dont need to worry about UMS but if you get a continous mid 50's in all the exams and a B on the coursework you can get an A*

Thanks for explaining it to me :biggrin: I think its posibe for me to get an a* then because I got an a* in my coursework :smile: Thanks again sorry for taking so much of your time haha.
Reply 46
Yeahh it sucks man! good luck on your GCSE's

You too man!

Hey, say I get 54/60 on B1, 47/60 on B2 and 48/60 in B3 with 38/50 on my coursework, does that guarantee an A grade?
Hey, say I get 54/60 on B1, 47/60 on B2 and 48/60 in B3 with 38/50 on my coursework, does that guarantee an A grade?

Yeah Definately!! B1- around 74UMS B2- Around 64 B3- Around 64 CA- 63 thats around 263 and you need 256 for an A
Yeah Definately!! B1- around 74UMS B2- Around 64 B3- Around 64 CA- 63 thats around 263 and you need 256 for an A

Okay thanks :biggrin:
Okay thanks :biggrin:

Additional Biology is easy why cant you get 52+
Additional Biology is easy why cant you get 52+

Somehow I find B2 probably the hardest in all of core/add/triple science barring B3. Protein Synthesis just doesnt make any sense to me.
anyone ready?
anyone ready?

Final predictions on tomorrow everybody?
Final predictions on tomorrow everybody?

Diabities
Reflex Arc
Nitrogen Cycle
Diabities
Reflex Arc
Nitrogen Cycle

I have a prediction and I want you to tell me whether this is likely:

Q1) Genetic Variation in plants
Q2) Biomass
Q3) Parasitism/Mutualism linking in with Evolution
Q4) Reflex Arc/Neurones
Q5) Organ Transplants and Drugs
Q6) Carbon and/or Nitrogen Cycle
Reply 56
If i achieved a Low B for my coursework could it be possible that I could get an A* and what would i need in each exam for it to be an overall A*

You would have to get A* s in all of your exams
Original post by Bobcat42
You would have to get A* s in all of your exams

Q2) Biomass
Q4) Reflex Arc/Neurones

Does this prediction seem likely?
Q2) Biomass
Q4) Reflex Arc/Neurones

Does this prediction seem likely?

I would go with all of them apart from genetic variation in plants I doubt that will come up because it already came on but i think the rest are all correct!
I would go with all of them apart from genetic variation in plants I doubt that will come up because it already came on but i think the rest are all correct!

Great, most of my revision has been based on them 6 topics so thats great :biggrin: what would you say instead of genetic variation in plants for the earlier questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending