The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any ideas about relationship cluster poetry?? I'm doing Aqa exam board also for OMAM and I don't think Curley will come up due to he not came up and all the others have and Aqa likes to throw people off, I believe it would be candy or crooks and for inspector calls I think it's going to be Gerald as he hasn't came up for some time
I'm dreading this paper, I'm doing Of Mice and Men, Lord of the Flies and the Conflict section of the anthology
For OMAM and AIC it could be anything so revise all but i strongly believe it will br MRS BIRLING as she has not really come up in isolation because her question was about her pretences

also for OMAM im Adamant it will be crooks or curley however as i sed revise everything as these are just from my opinions and sources and research

good luck
any predictions for:
•relationships section
•of mice and men
•Lord of the flies?

What questions came up in the 2014 exam if anyone knows please?😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we get the books (plain copy obviously) in the English literature unit 1 exam?
Reply 185
Original post by Ajan123
Do we get the books (plain copy obviously) in the English literature unit 1 exam?

yeah we do. it depends on the exam board but for aqa you get a plain copy.
Could someone tell me what grade they would give this and any feedback to make it better:

In the passage we see that slim is a man of authority and massiveness. For example "A tall man stood in the doorway". This representation of him makes Slim look almost heroic and something we would expect of a cow boy type movie. The fact that Steinbeck represents slim as heroic shows that he is a man of great importance and has a great influence on people. As well as this, the fact that Steinbeck presents Slim as heroic emphasises that he is going to be of aid when dark events occur later in the book. We get this idea as this is what the qualities of a hero are- To aid and to protect.

Steinbeck also uses sentence structure effectively in order to bring out the characters. This is done where it says, " this was Slim the Jerk line Skinner.". Steinbeck effectively makes Slim seem like one everybody would dream of being and then effectively ends on a simple note to show that Slim is just a general work like the others even though he has all these talents. It shows the harsh environment that prevented people from succeeding in America at the time.

Original post by youreanutter
Hello everyone doing this exam this is the official thread to talk about revision work and anything else related to the exam

this is the one im most scared about

im doing conflict poetry of mice and men and an inspector calls

hey, i'm also doing the Conflict cluster, OMAM and AIC!
Original post by Ajan123
Could someone tell me what grade they would give this and any feedback to make it better:

In the passage we see that slim is a man of authority and massiveness. For example "A tall man stood in the doorway". This representation of him makes Slim look almost heroic and something we would expect of a cow boy type movie. The fact that Steinbeck represents slim as heroic shows that he is a man of great importance and has a great influence on people. As well as this, the fact that Steinbeck presents Slim as heroic emphasises that he is going to be of aid when dark events occur later in the book. We get this idea as this is what the qualities of a hero are- To aid and to protect.

Steinbeck also uses sentence structure effectively in order to bring out the characters. This is done where it says, " this was Slim the Jerk line Skinner.". Steinbeck effectively makes Slim seem like one everybody would dream of being and then effectively ends on a simple note to show that Slim is just a general work like the others even though he has all these talents. It shows the harsh environment that prevented people from succeeding in America at the time.

Hey, I'd give this like an A/B (obviously i'm not a teacher so i could be way out!) but yeah, it's pretty good and you've analysed the language well with use of quotes to back up points (PEE paragraph). Where you mention about dark events occurring later on in the book, use the words 'ominous foreboding' as this is literally what events later occurring in the book means and is often appreciated by examiners as it is technical language.

Good Luck!
Original post by Ajan123

Immediately you should integrate your quotes in with your essay like for example instead of saying: "In the passage we see that slim is a man of authority and massiveness. For example "A tall man stood in the doorway"."

You should say instead: Slim is described as "a tall man" showing that he is a somewhat a person who is looked up upon at the ranch and having him "stood in the doorway" shows that he may possess a few heroic qualities. [Continue on with your analysis].

Integrating quotes is an A grade skill if I remember correctly (correct me if I'm wrong) and it also saves a lot of time because you're being emphatic and shows a bit of sophistication in your writing .

I can't grade this but I have given a suggestion on how to change your writing style :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by holly'revise
hey, i'm also doing the Conflict cluster, OMAM and AIC!

aha great any predictions?
Original post by youreanutter
aha great any predictions?

no i was hoping you might :frown:
Original post by holly'revise
no i was hoping you might :frown:

i posted my ideas earlier on in the thread
Thanks for the feedback Trihawk7 and holly'revise!
Really appreciate it.
:smile:
How do you know what comes up on the foundation paper and what comes up on the higher paper? 😊
Original post by Ajan123

Personally I think your language analysis is very good. However I would only give it a C grade. This could be rectified in a few simple ways. Firstly, use less obvious quotes and when you analyse them give alternate views. Also try and incorporate the quotes into the sentence. To aim for a really high grade talk about structure as well. 😀 remember you also get 4 marks for SPAG
Reply 196
Original post by NeedACleverName
X

You mark harsh :lol:
Original post by Ajan123

Despite what others are saying I think this is good and a solid B. You've talked about context, given some structural and language analysis, but this can also be improved by embedding quotes, using some more insightful quotes and evaluating them in an original way. Write this in the exam and you will do just fine. Contrary to someone saying this is a c grade, I disagree having looked at a c grade paper that was basically just a retelling.
Good effort though :biggrin:
Original post by Cherx
You mark harsh :lol:

Haha I'm just saying what my teacher told us. Hopefully from what people have been saying my teacher is just a harsh marker. If so I'll be less stressed about the exam :smile:
Original post by ozmo19
Sorry to correct your teacher but these are the poems of the anthology which will only come up in the Foundation paper, not the higher paper! Them 3 have not came up for that reason and that reason only; take a look at the foundation papers and you will see they have appeared. It also says on the specification that these will not be tested in the higher tier paper. You can choose to compare the given poem with one of these three if preferred but they will not be any of the named poems.

Please don't revise only these! Your best bet is to revise them all and prepare for the other 12 poems that can be named

How do you know which poems will come up in Higher and which in Foundation? I'm doing Higher and it would really help me if I knew which 6 poems to revise for the Higher paper (relationships) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending