The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marli-Ruth
Thanks Proph! :smile: Good luck to you!

Good luck! I sat my AS last year and got an A. Let me know if you need anymore help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilialucy
Last year, the question was 'Write a non-directional hypothesis for this experiment'. My answer was 'The number of letters encoded will differ for that letters sound the same and letters that do not sound the same'. I got 0/2 marks as I but encoded and not recalled (which I crossed out!).

Because you didn't operational your variables, yes the DV is encoding but the DV operationalised is the number of letters recalled.

My tip would be when writing hypotheses, don't forget to operationalise the variables and to be critical, that is an extremely muddled answer - why not keep it simple by saying: there will be a difference in the letters recalled in list one and list two.
Original post by geeee11
I'm not sure strange situation on it's own can be a 12 marker?

My teacher said it can and it's never been up..
What are extraneous variables how would you identify one if it asked you and how would it be extraneous
Original post by Romanoff
Because you didn't operational your variables, yes the DV is encoding but the DV operationalised is the number of letters recalled.

My tip would be when writing hypotheses, don't forget to operationalise the variables and to be critical, that is an extremely muddled answer - why not keep it simple by saying: there will be a difference in the letters recalled in list one and list two.

Yep. Like I said I needed to put 'recalled' instead of 'encoded'.

Yeah, that is a better way of putting it. Although I don't think it affects the marks if its shorter/longer.
There are pastpapers from 2009! I had no idea lol
Original post by amberuniverse
What do you do if you write more than the lines they give you? Is there an additional answer booklet there if required? It's because I have large writing not that I'm writing too much :/

You need to ask for additional paper and write on your answer e.g 'continued on sheet' and on the sheet mark e.g. 'question 2a continued'. You mustn't write off of the answer lines as the exam board clip down the pages and your work may be lost. Also if you do not state that you have used additional paper they will not look for it. I usually ask for paper at the beginning of every exam just in case :smile: Good luck ! xx
Original post by SunDun111
What are extraneous variables how would you identify one if it asked you and how would it be extraneous

Extraneous variables are anything which would affect the results of a study. Basic example include the temperature of the room, any background noises etc. Basically, you want the conditions of a study to be as normal as possible, if you did a study in a really really warm room, then the temperature of the room may affect the participants, rather than the independent variable.
Original post by emilialucy
Yep. Like I said I needed to put 'recalled' instead of 'encoded'.

Yeah, that is a better way of putting it. Although I don't think it affects the marks if its shorter/longer.

Yes I was simply explaining why you needed to put recalled, just in case you didn't know, and for the benefit of everyone else who may have been wondering. It does look more impressive/less muddled and saves time.
I think daycare will be the 12 marker and msm will be an 8 marker :frown:
Original post by Eleonore
yeah I understand, I will be so scared tomorrow! I would have liked it if I was able to have a cup of coffee

Hahaa same, what topics are you most confident about and which ones are u least confident about?
Original post by safiyyah98
Hahaa same, what topics are you most confident about and which ones are u least confident about?

I am more confident about memory and explanations of attachment with cultural variations.
least confident about strategies of memory improvement and day care (just found them really hard to revise because I don't have that much material on it)
what about you?
Original post by ellietaytayx
I think daycare will be the 12 marker and msm will be an 8 marker :frown:

do you think that influence of research into day care could come as a 12 marker?
Original post by saraahaley
My teacher said it can and it's never been up..

Out of interest what was the wording of the question she said could come up?
Original post by SunDun111

An extraneous variable is a factor that you cannot control that may alter the findings of your results. For example, in Hodges and Tizards study of privation (institutional care), an extraneous variable may be something like the child's attachment type or individual personality that was already there before they conducted the study. They had no control over these factors because the study was a natural, longitudinal study. Therefore if you want to identify and extraneous variable, you need to read the stem and think of uncontrollable factors that may alter findings e.g. personality or mental disorders.
I hope that helped:smile: Good luck ! xx
Original post by Eleonore
do you think that influence of research into day care could come as a 12 marker?

I was thinking that! I haven't come across a 12 marker on it before so its a definite possibility! I'm going to revise it anyway as it may come in use for the A02 of Daycare :smile:
Quick question, for Anxiety im a bit concerned about lack of A01 content - i have Deffenbacher and the Yerkes-Dodson curve, then loftus 1987 with the weapon focus?

Is there any other big studies i shouls be using? Thanks in advance:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hpiercey3
Quick question, for Anxiety im a bit concerned about lack of A01 content - i have Deffenbacher and the Yerkes-Dodson curve, then loftus 1987 with the weapon focus?

Is there any other big studies i shouls be using? Thanks in advance:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yuille & Cutshall is a good one to contradict Loftus' findings, as they found that witnesses to a real life gun shooting had remarkably accurate recall :smile:
Original post by geeee11
Out of interest what was the wording of the question she said could come up?

It might be 'Discuss research into different types of attachment' or 'Outline and evaluate research into different attachment types'

Doesn't really matter what they ask they're all pointing towards Ainsworth's Strange Situation research. You'd outline the 8 'episodes' of their research, their findings - I'd then outline the behaviours associated with the attachment types.
Original post by ellietaytayx
I was thinking that! I haven't come across a 12 marker on it before so its a definite possibility! I'm going to revise it anyway as it may come in use for the A02 of Daycare :smile:

going to do the same thanks :smile:

Quick Reply