The Student Room Group

A2 Unit 4 Edexcel - Tectonics

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone suggest to me ranging populations like dense population, sparse population etc /w case studies
I thought it might be useful to post some stuff I know about this summers pre release for the tectonic hazard. I have listed some possible case studies you guys can look at for the human and physical factories that have a more disastrous impacts than others. Plus other stuff that you might find useful.

Human Factors affecting impacts on tectonic hazard
<> Population Density - case studies to use ( Kashmir vs Turkey Izmir)
<> Capacity to cope - case studies to use ( Nyrangango vs Iceland Eyjafjallajokull)
<> Vulnerability - case studies to use ( Christ Church vs Haiti)
<> Level of economic development ( world bank classifications: High income e.g OECD , G8 AND OPEC, Middle Income e.g NICs, Ex-Soviet states, BRICS, and MINTS, Low Income LDC, majority of sub Saharan African regions) - case studies to use (Kobe 1995 (MEDC) vs Shichuan (NIC) vs Haiti (LEDC))
<> Accessability - case studies to use (Kashmir vs Napel)
<> Quality of response - case studies to use (Mount Etna vs Mount Pinatubo)
<> Rural to Urban population - case studies to use (Japan Tsunami vs South east Asian tsunami)
<> Other humaintarin crises (other conflicts going in within country = more vulnerable etc) - case studies to use (Haiti vs Tukey Izmit)
<> Preparation - case studies to use (Soufriere Hills vs Nevada Del Ruiz)
<> Infrastructure - case studies to use ( L'Aquila vs Nyragango)

Physical Factors affecting impacts on tectonic hazard
<> Magnitude - case studies to use (Nepal vs shichuan)
<> Frequency - case studies to use (Hawaiian(Kilavea) frequent compared to say Mount Pinatubuo 1991 )
<> Duration - case studies to use (Haiti vs Christ Church)
<> Geology of area - (was not quite sure with this one thought maybe Christ church because of the liquefaction)
<> Plat boundary type - case studies to use (L'Aquila (Destructive) vs Fundraiser fault line (constructive))
<> Eruption Type - case studies to use (Nevada Del Ruiz vs Montserrat)
<> Distance from epicentre - case studies to use (Gujarat 2001 (distance 20km) vs Haiti (distance 15km) )
<> Time of day- (Again not sure about this one thought of maybe Kashmir 2005)
<> Weather Conditions - case studies to use (South east Asia vs Kobe storm)
<> Volcanic Explosively index - case studies to use (Eyjafjallajokull (VEI = 4 ) vs Mount Pinatubo (VEI = 6))
Diagrams to use
<> Kate's model
<> Disatster risk equation
<> Degg's Model
<> Parks Model
<> Crunch Model
<> Different plate boundary
<> Convection current movement
<> Event Profile
Questions
*Evaluate significant factories that determine the impacts of tectonic hazards
*To what extent is population the main factor affecting the impacts of tectonic hazards
* Assess the significance of factories and severity affecting the impacts of tectonic hazards
* The increasingly disastrous impacts of tectonic hazards are result of human and physical factors; Discuss
The files that i have uploaded i do not take credit for they are just research that i have found that are useful and would like to share them here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by geoAbdul
I thought it might be useful to post some stuff I know about this summers pre release for the tectonic hazard. I have listed some possible case studies you guys can look at for the human and physical factories that have a more disastrous impacts than others. Plus other stuff that you might find useful.

<> Capacity to cope - case studies to use ( Nyrangango vs Iceland Eyjafjallajokull)
<> Level of economic development ( world bank classifications: High income e.g OECD , G8 AND OPEC, Middle Income e.g NICs, Ex-Soviet states, BRICS, and MINTS, Low Income LDC, majority of sub Saharan African regions) - case studies to use (Kobe 1995 (MEDC) vs Shichuan (NIC) vs Haiti (LEDC))
<> Rural to Urban population - case studies to use (Japan Tsunami vs South east Asian tsunami)
<> Other humaintarin crises (other conflicts going in within country = more vulnerable etc) - case studies to use (Haiti vs Tukey Izmit)

<> Frequency - case studies to use (Hawaiian(Kilavea) frequent compared to say Mount Pinatubuo 1991 )
<> Geology of area - (was not quite sure with this one thought maybe Christ church because of the liquefaction)
<> Plat boundary type - case studies to use (L'Aquila (Destructive) vs Fundraiser fault line (constructive))
<> Distance from epicentre - case studies to use (Gujarat 2001 (distance 20km) vs Haiti (distance 15km) )
<> Volcanic Explosively index - case studies to use (Eyjafjallajokull (VEI = 4 ) vs Mount Pinatubo (VEI = 6))
Diagrams to use
<> Kate's model
<> Degg's Model
<> Parks Model
<> Crunch Model
<> Event Profile
Questions
*To what extent is population the main factor affecting the impacts of tectonic hazards
* Assess the significance of factories and severity affecting the impacts of tectonic hazards
* The increasingly disastrous impacts of tectonic hazards are result of human and physical factors; Discuss
The files that i have uploaded i do not take credit for they are just research that i have found that are useful and would like to share them here.

You sir are a lad! Many thanks

Diagrams to use
<> Kate's model
<> Degg's Model
<> Parks Model
<> Crunch Model
<> Event Profile
Questions

Thank you so much for this. But how have you contrasted them, have you done a case study sheet for each of them?
Original post by KeyboardWarriror
Thank you so much for this. But how have you contrasted them, have you done a case study sheet for each of them?

No Problem. Yeah I have done a case study sheet for each factor, and looking at the differences and how each one can lead to a more disastrous impact on tectonic hazard than others; so for example when looking at the preparation factor, you will explain it say why you think its important and how it can impact tectonic hazards, and then you pull out the two contrasting case studies to back up your point e.g Soufriere Hills has good preparation lead to only 19 deaths (of course explain the types of preparation that was taken in place), and then you will further go into exploring the other case study Nevada Del Ruiz poor preparation lead to more disastrous impact on the nation = 25,000 deaths etc. Of course all these depends on the type of questions that why I'm sticking on the safe side in trying to learn all these factories with their examples even though I wont be using them all. it's just a matter of using evaluative language and using Point Evidence Explain Link (PEEL) to answer the question. But unfortunately the case study sheets that I've done are on paper documents, so I will need to find a way to scan them to post them here, I will try my best. If I cant scan them, then I will just re write them up on a word document; but will take few days and then post them that way.
(edited 8 years ago)
No Problem. Yeah I have done a case study sheet for each factor, and looking at the differences and how each one can lead to a more disastrous impact on tectonic hazard than others; so for example when looking at the preparation factor, you will explain it say why you think its important and how it can impact tectonic hazards, and then you pull out the two contrasting case studies to back up your point e.g Soufriere Hills has good preparation lead to only 19 deaths (of course explain the types of preparation that was taken in place), and then you will further go into exploring the other case study Nevada Del Ruiz poor preparation lead to more disastrous impact on the nation = 25,000 deaths etc. Of course all these depends on the type of questions that why I'm sticking on the safe side in trying to learn all these factories with their examples even though I wont be using them all. it's just a matter of using evaluative language and using Point Evidence Explain Link (PEEL) to answer the question. But unfortunately the case study sheets that I've done are on paper documents, so I will need to find a way to scan them to post them here, I will try my best if I cant scan them, then I will just re write them up on a word document; but will take few days and then post them that way.

oh fair enough, ive done a few, this is one im currently doing for the Tohuku 2011. Sorry about the last few pages, think theyre notes from the teacher
No Problem. Yeah I have done a case study sheet for each factor, and looking at the differences and how each one can lead to a more disastrous impact on tectonic hazard than others; so for example when looking at the preparation factor, you will explain it say why you think its important and how it can impact tectonic hazards, and then you pull out the two contrasting case studies to back up your point e.g Soufriere Hills has good preparation lead to only 19 deaths (of course explain the types of preparation that was taken in place), and then you will further go into exploring the other case study Nevada Del Ruiz poor preparation lead to more disastrous impact on the nation = 25,000 deaths etc. Of course all these depends on the type of questions that why I'm sticking on the safe side in trying to learn all these factories with their examples even though I wont be using them all. it's just a matter of using evaluative language and using Point Evidence Explain Link (PEEL) to answer the question. But unfortunately the case study sheets that I've done are on paper documents, so I will need to find a way to scan them to post them here, I will try my best. If I cant scan them, then I will just re write them up on a word document; but will take few days and then post them that way.

+1 for this whole post

The only difficult part is rewording your case studies and your facts (trying to remember them) to stick to the question :/
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
+1 for this whole post

The only difficult part is rewording your case studies and your facts (trying to remember them) to stick to the question :/

Yeah that is true. what you can do is get them sticky post stick notes and put down key facts and figures for each case study and stick them up on your bed room wall and just read them over time, and by the time it comes to the exam you will be able to remember them.
Reply 48

Diagrams to use
<> Kate's model
<> Degg's Model
<> Parks Model
<> Crunch Model
<> Event Profile
Questions

You might be my favorite person right now!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :smile:
Original post by lillyac
You might be my favorite person right now!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :smile:

No problems
I could not find a scanner to scan my notes. My notes basically goes through Human factors and Physical factors that I have listen in the previous post, and it explains each of them in depth and how the case studies could be contrasting. So I have made one word document of one of my notes on Human factor (Population density). I will post it and if you guys think it is useful and on the right lines then I will continue and write up all my other notes and post them up too.

Diagrams to use
<> Kate's model
<> Degg's Model
<> Parks Model
<> Crunch Model
<> Event Profile
Questions

Thank you so much for this post :biggrin:
I'm learning the whole module at home, so it's great to see you've mentioned almost all of the case studies I've decided to use.

I'm pretty confident on the content now, personally I can't wait for the exam because it's the only one I feel good about. The only thing is I don't wanna be thrown off by the wording of the question they use.

If it talks about increasingly disastrous impacts I assume you focus on human factors (population increase, density, urbanisation in poor areas etc)? and use Nepal, Haiti, Asia-Pacific Region?
Original post by aliendays
Thank you so much for this post :biggrin:
I'm learning the whole module at home, so it's great to see you've mentioned almost all of the case studies I've decided to use.

I'm pretty confident on the content now, personally I can't wait for the exam because it's the only one I feel good about. The only thing is I don't wanna be thrown off by the wording of the question they use.

If it talks about increasingly disastrous impacts I assume you focus on human factors (population increase, density, urbanisation in poor areas etc)? and use Nepal, Haiti, Asia-Pacific Region?

Yeah that what I think so too, and the case studies that you have mentioned are fine for that.
I have no primary sources, should I be worried?
Original post by cherryblossoms
I have no primary sources, should I be worried?

it's good to have a verity, but if not then it should be fine as long as you give a valid reason why you are using that source.

List of Primary sources you could use.

A2 Edexcel unit 4, written by Cameron Dunn - reason for source, containing a accurate Park's Model, Degg's Model diagram.

A2 Edexcel Geography by Digby and Hust - reason for source explain reason of tectonic hazard.
Reply 55
Hey, is anyone doing Cold Environments??
Original post by chatty
Hey, is anyone doing Cold Environments??

Nope sorry
Original post by hannahw807
Before we started writing our reports in class, our teacher gave us a checklist type thing which is distilled from all mark schemes in the past, showing us how to get top marks in our essays.
Here it is:

Section 1a - Introduction (10 marks)
1- REFERENCE - actually make reference to your title in your introduction.
2- DEFINITIONS - indirectly define the key words in the title so that you break the main title down.
3- FOCUS - you must state what you are going to be looking at in particular in this report. Diagrams of key concepts go here.
4- FRAMEWORK - how you are going to address the question with concepts and case studies. Make sure to mention here your 3-4 main case studies that you intend to use in the answer. These must be relevant and up to date. Each case study must be justified as to why you think it is an ideal case study to use for the particular piece of information you are discussing.

Section 1b - Methodology (15 marks)
1- PRIMARY SOURCES - people, interviews, your own experience.
2- SECONDARY SOURCES - websites, newspapers, DVDs, online essays, podcasts, magazines etc. Name specific methods, and if you can, specific articles. Justify your use of them. Cite as many as possible.

Section 2 - Analysis, application and understanding (20 marks)
Include main concepts and theories
Pepper your essay with snippets of information from other case studies.
Mention any different values or perspectives on any topic that you are discussing.
Use 3-4 main case studies. Make sure you vary the location of these case studies eg one in Asia, one in North America, an LIC and a HIC etc.
Make sure you mention both sides of any arguments even though you may lean towards one side of the argument.
Use sourcing of information throughout.

Section 3 - Conclusions and evaluation (15 marks)
Start your conclusion by emphasizing the complexity of the question set.
Recall the content/case studies of the essay as a summary (specifically mention these by name).
Evaluate at the end of the essay, but also try to evaluate throughout the essay.

Overall
1. Include headings that are underlined, in the style of a report. (eg 1.1 - Introduction, 1.2 - Methodology)
2. Use sub headings within each section. (eg 1.2.1 - Primary research, 1.2.2 - Secondary research)
3. Diagrams must be legible. Make diagrams at least 1/3 of a side. Also, annotate and figure reference the diagram. Refer to this figure reference at an appropriate point in the text.
4. Reference throughout your work, whether it be people or websites.
5. Make sure that spelling and grammar are perfect. You get 10 marks
for quality of written work and communication.
6. Use black pen to write with and a pencil and ruler to draw with.

If you have any further questions, or would like to see a sample essay, feel free to ask :smile:

Hi is it possible if i could read a sample ?
I'M SO STRESSED OUT LOL. I DONT KNOW HOW I AM GOING TO REMEMBER ALL OF THIS FOR THE EXAM. MY TEACHER WANTS US TO A CASE STUDY FOR VOLCANOES AND EARTHQUAKES FOR EACH. DOING PHYSICAL AND HUMAN FACTORS.

2 for comparisons.
That is 4 for each section.
So 8 all together, the facts and figures and references..
Why was this not coursework?
I'm only doing 6 case studies

2 comparisons, 2 comparisons, 2 comparisons = around 7-8 pages/sides

8 is too much lol for me anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending