The Student Room Group

AS Mid-Tudor Crises

Hey there,

Just wondering if anyone out there did well in this exam last year or whenever and could share some tips.

I sat it last year and got a B, retaking this year and any advice would be nice!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did the Tudor course for AQA.

Do you feel the knowledge or essay element is letting you down?
Reply 2
Original post by vimto39
I did the Tudor course for AQA.

Do you feel the knowledge or essay element is letting you down?

I did OCR and it was a source paper so I don't know if that changes anything...

But definitely the essay writing! Knowledge wise I'd say I'm pretty sound.
Reply 3
Right. When it comes to approaching to write an essay, what's your thought process - do you plan, and if so how, etc?
What was the topic of the paper?
Reply 5
Original post by Colourblock
What was the topic of the paper?

Last year it was rebellion.
If your problem was the essay element redo loads of past source questions until you get really good marks. But make sure you don't neglect the other paper. I do AQA so the AOs are slightly different but reading examiners reports and mark schemes might better help you structure your essay. Other than that just ask your teacher/lecturer for advice, I am currently studying my AS levels at Sixth form and am finding I am doing much better in courses where essay feedback is one2one rather then written or general whole class feedback
Reply 7
Original post by michael90cr
If your problem was the essay element redo loads of past source questions until you get really good marks. But make sure you don't neglect the other paper. I do AQA so the AOs are slightly different but reading examiners reports and mark schemes might better help you structure your essay. Other than that just ask your teacher/lecturer for advice, I am currently studying my AS levels at Sixth form and am finding I am doing much better in courses where essay feedback is one2one rather then written or general whole class feedback

I hope this helps
You need to remember because this is a source based paper, the sources should be your lead, however at the same time you need to know the content as well. For your a question, you need to practice completing it in the 3 minutes, you need to also remember the question will always say compare these sources as evidence for ... so you focus must be on comparing the sources, how they answer or support or refute the interpretation. If you need to contextualise the source during your analysis of the crediblity of the provenance, then you need to do so. However than it the only text you need to include outside context, otherwise you receive no credit for your own knowledge.

If you need any more advice please contact me or if you have any queries on the 70 mark question, please let me know
IS anyone else struggling with exam?! urghhhhhh AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Does anyone keep getting that grouping of interpretations wrong? Sometimes I think the source agrees and then I look at the mark scheme and it is supposed to disagree! Or there are slight nuances :frown: Can anyone help with this?

I just need to bring up my grade from last of D to a high C/B to get a B overall as my other side was a strong b and I find A2 much easier because I switched exam boards... so hoping/praying/wishing/crying for an A overall. Is it possible to go from a C to an A even without this resit?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Dear Studdybuddy101

I have attached a number of resources that you should find useful and help in how you plan your answers or write your answers to the B question. Sometimes it is rather difficult when grouping the interpretations and not straightforward and your analysis may differ according in relation as happened with some students last year who struggled to group the interpretations because of the similiarites with them. Then I would suggest that you re-read the interpretations and look for very subtle nuances of differences between them or just a slight emphasis of difference, however you will have to look for it at times when they all seem so similiar that you can almost miss them.

To go from a C to an A, a resit is necessary, without a resit you can only realistically gain a grade higher - a B, because it is averaged. For instance if you are sitting on a C and you are doing only the A2 units you would need two A* in your A2 units (The coursework and the Unit 3) to achieve a B. I hope that helps and the resources and if you need anything else, I am happy to help.

I am actually a tutor not a student, but I am happy to help and know that a lot of my student's have in the past struggled with the source paper. I want to remind you that your source paper should be your easiest exam, because your knowledge is supported by the sources. In A, all they require is a comparison of the sources and your analysis of their credibility. Whilst in the b question it should be a source driven analysis of the question, supported by your own knowledge to support or counter the sources under dicussion.

Again if you need any other advice before Wednesday, let me know. Best wishes

I have more such as an outline of how to tackle question a and b and a completed b exemplar if you need these as well, let me know.

Cheli
Reply 10
Original post by vimto39
Right. When it comes to approaching to write an essay, what's your thought process - do you plan, and if so how, etc?

For the sources essays it's really important that you plan and you should use a planning grid, dividing up the sources and using quotes to support the arguments you will make. I can send you a number of different planning grids mainly targeted at OCR if that helps.

Let me know if you need to see any and I can send you an example of a planned question if that helps.

Regards

Cheli
Original post by Cheli
Dear Studdybuddy101

I have attached a number of resources that you should find useful and help in how you plan your answers or write your answers to the B question. Sometimes it is rather difficult when grouping the interpretations and not straightforward and your analysis may differ according in relation as happened with some students last year who struggled to group the interpretations because of the similiarites with them. Then I would suggest that you re-read the interpretations and look for very subtle nuances of differences between them or just a slight emphasis of difference, however you will have to look for it at times when they all seem so similiar that you can almost miss them.

To go from a C to an A, a resit is necessary, without a resit you can only realistically gain a grade higher - a B, because it is averaged. For instance if you are sitting on a C and you are doing only the A2 units you would need two A* in your A2 units (The coursework and the Unit 3) to achieve a B. I hope that helps and the resources and if you need anything else, I am happy to help.

I am actually a tutor not a student, but I am happy to help and know that a lot of my student's have in the past struggled with the source paper. I want to remind you that your source paper should be your easiest exam, because your knowledge is supported by the sources. In A, all they require is a comparison of the sources and your analysis of their credibility. Whilst in the b question it should be a source driven analysis of the question, supported by your own knowledge to support or counter the sources under dicussion.

Again if you need any other advice before Wednesday, let me know. Best wishes

I have more such as an outline of how to tackle question a and b and a completed b exemplar if you need these as well, let me know.

Cheli

Thank you very much!
Has anyone got any predictions for this paper?
Reply 13
Original post by Arsenal1471
Has anyone got any predictions for this paper?

Nope I don't believe in predictions
Original post by Cheli
For the sources essays it's really important that you plan and you should use a planning grid, dividing up the sources and using quotes to support the arguments you will make. I can send you a number of different planning grids mainly targeted at OCR if that helps.

Let me know if you need to see any and I can send you an example of a planned question if that helps.

Regards

Cheli

I've already completed my History A-Level, the post was seeing what OP's current process was. Thank you, however, for your offer of support.
Original post by DaveUncle
Hey there,

Just wondering if anyone out there did well in this exam last year or whenever and could share some tips.

I sat it last year and got a B, retaking this year and any advice would be nice!

according to our teacher the key to this paper is creating a group and sustaining it al the way through, don't talk about one source at a time, and use own knowledge thoroughly throughout, to support your points

Problem with my work is actually the lack of own knowledge, so whilst this isa source-based paper, you need to now absolutely all the dates and stats as well
Reply 16
Hi, does anyone have any notes on Henry's late foreign policy ? What do we actually need to know for that part of the topic ?
Original post by tinashee
Hi, does anyone have any notes on Henry's late foreign policy ? What do we actually need to know for that part of the topic ?

Do we need to know this? In the text book it doesn't say much more other than about the war with France? :eek: :confused:
Reply 18
Original post by studdybuddy101
Do we need to know this? In the text book it doesn't say much more other than about the war with France? :eek: :confused:

idk man, but there have been questions in the past about it
Reply 19
How was the exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending