The Student Room Group

Why do some white people have a hard time understanding white privilege?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jedanselemyia
All of them unfortunately (and no, that doesn't make me an idiot)

Are you serious? You don't agree that "I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed"? Or "I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me"? Or "I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented". That might have been the case in 80's America, but I'd argue strongly that 2015 Britain is a very different place, which is why it feels like you're trying to play the race card when it isn't justified.
Reply 81
Original post by Duncan2012
This isn't white privilege, this is demographics. If you lived in a society where the majority of people were 7ft tall, blue skinned, yellow haired people then of course they will be the people who feature most predominantly on tv, books, music, news stories, be the president, be in high-profile jobs etc.

Go to China, who is most visible there? Go to Saudi Arabia, who is most visible there? Go to Iceland, who is most visible there? Demographics.

Demographics argument is great but white people in those locations still do not face the level of discrimination ethnic minorities face in western soceities. In fact let me be more specific black people. Because really and truly western societies have historically and to a large extent still do treat black people like the bottom of the pecking order.

Look at Apartheid in South Africa. This only ended in the 90s. Black people were the majority right? yet white people came to their country and began a racist oppressive regime, taught them they are inferior, killed them, abused them and treated them as second class citizens, but DEMOGRAPHICS right?:rolleyes:
The title of this thread asks a rather pertinent question. he answer to this question is because it doesnt exist, and hasnt done since the various racial equality acts. You can point out statistics that purport that it does, but the thing is that if people from various minorities wanted to move upwards then they need to get up and do it. The same goes for feminazis now, you can complain about the fact there are very few women in top roles, or you could go into the fields where here are fewer women and make a difference through your actions.
OP, i feel truly sorry for you in your pit of ignorance and stupidity.
Reply 83
I wish number 2 were true :daydreaming:
Are you serious? You don't agree that "I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed"? Or "I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me"? Or "I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented". That might have been the case in 80's America, but I'd argue strongly that 2015 Britain is a very different place, which is why it feels like you're trying to play the race card when it isn't justified.

I feel already been followed in a shop by a white person repeatedly asked me "Are you adopted???"
Maybe the "intensity" of the points have decreased with time, but they're still real.
Reply 85
This isn't white privilege, this is demographics. If you lived in a society where the majority of people were 7ft tall, blue skinned, yellow haired people then of course they will be the people who feature most predominantly on tv, books, music, news stories, be the president, be in high-profile jobs etc.

Go to China, who is most visible there? Go to Saudi Arabia, who is most visible there? Go to Iceland, who is most visible there? Demographics.

If we want to talk about demographics let us go back in history.

Aborigines were wiped out in Australia by white people because they were a minority right? DEMOGRPAHICS

Native Americans were forced into reservations by white people because they were a minority in their own land right? DEMOGRAPHICS

Black people in Africa was colonised and robbed by white people because they were a minority right? DEMONGRAPHICS.

lol seriously come on guys. Try and think from a perspective that differs from your own.
The real question is not whether it exists but why i as a white person should really care about most of those little things.
Original post by TheWoke
If we want to talk about demographics let us go back in history.

Aborigines were wiped out in Australia by white people because they were a minority right? DEMOGRPAHICS

Native Americans were forced into reservations by white people because they were a minority in their own land right? DEMOGRAPHICS

Black people in Africa was colonised and robbed by white people because they were a minority right? DEMONGRAPHICS.

lol seriously come on guys. Try and think from a perspective that differs from your own.

All of those people were extremely primitive.
Reply 88
Or, it could be that white people would rather buy a CD based on the artist's skin colour rather than on the quality of his craft. Not that I think Eminem is crap, quite the contrary in fact.
Your statement proves you have poor knowledge of rap music :smile:

To make such a bold statement without any backing really does take away from some valid points that you may have made. In actual fact, a lot of people who claim to be 'OG hip hop fans' despise the fact that so many consider Eminem to be the best, purely because he is white. Read up on his background and how it hindered his rise to fame.
Reply 89
Original post by an_atheist
The title of this thread asks a rather pertinent question. he answer to this question is because it doesnt exist, and hasnt done since the various racial equality acts. You can point out statistics that purport that it does, but the thing is that if people from various minorities wanted to move upwards then they need to get up and do it. The same goes for feminazis now, you can complain about the fact there are very few women in top roles, or you could go into the fields where here are fewer women and make a difference through your actions.
OP, i feel truly sorry for you in your pit of ignorance and stupidity.

Yeah of course, silly lazy ethnic minorities need to just get on their bike, why are they complaining it is obviously down to them lacking talent.

Let us ignore statistics we don't need the truth getting in the way of our opinion!

There is no racial or social hurdles in their way, we live in a meritocracy!

Because legal change = automatic change in minds/hearts! yes !

:rolleyes:
Reply 90
see below.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Oschene23
Your first sentence makes it sound as if I'm causing some kind of inconvenience to you by raising the very real and present nature of white genocide in Zimbabwe, I'm sorry that you have to hear opposing opinions, that must be very hard for you. Also, it is interesting that you (and for that matter the majority of those in the media) would rather comment on the effect of carefully chosen 18th/19th century episodes of genocide, rather than the ones occurring as we speak, which I am afraid to say suggests some kind of agenda/bias on your part. Now, addressing your response, again I will stress that white privilege is a conceptual opinion/theory of a minority of people so I really find it distasteful the way you are speaking about it as a set in stone fact that is widely accepted. The majority of people in the West where it is applied, find it an abhorrent and grossly unfair analysis of Western culture to say the least. (the most tolerant part of the globe by a lengthy margin). Also, my opinions are as follows. The idea of reverse racism not being possible is a fantasy and convenient distraction from the reality. Do I think its racist when a man is murdered for the colour of his skin if that skin happens to be white, YES. There is no power structure in place in that confrontation, its a simple racist murder. In fact, the whole idea that racism can only be equated with institutional power, is one recently invented by the proponents of your views. I also believe that any concept of institutional racism is in any case a falsehood anyway, and lacks real evidence. Some people cite the popular experiment of 'black-sounding' names on job applications, but anyone who studies statistical analysis/econometrics will understand the flaws in that analysis. In fact this week, the fact that more ethnic minority and women MPs were elected than ever before, flys in the face of your theory quite frankly, especially as this was a concerted effort by all dominant parties, not a coincidence.Two final questions for you:1) I'd be interested to find out how the Zimbabwe genocide situation challenged your views?2) Why is it that you believe South Africa does not have racism problem against its white citizens?

A lot of "ethnic" MPs have been elected. Cool, does that mean racism is over?

1) Up to a certain time, I was unaware of what was happening in Zimbabwe. The fact that the oppressor was black (Mugabe) and not white challenged my view.

2) Maybe because there was a white supremacist regime in that country not so long ago and you still the effects? 80% of South Africa's population is black and still lives in ghettos and townships. 8% of the population is white and most of them live in the richest parts of the country, in gated communities, go to the best schools etc
I remember seeing a documentary about the poor white minority in South Africa. One couple declared they wished it was Apartheid again because they had comfortable governement jobs and a house.
Reply 92
Original post by Rakas21
The real question is not whether it exists but why i as a white person should really care about most of those little things.

There we have it. Like I told the OP initially, it is too much to expect most of the people who are not negatively affected by something to care.

Wonderful :smile:
Original post by TheWoke
Yeah of course, silly lazy ethnic minorities need to just get on their bike, why are they complaining it is obviously down to them lacking talent.

Let us ignore statistics we don't need the truth getting in the way of our opinion!

There is no racial or social hurdles in their way, we live in a meritocracy!

Because legal change = automatic change in minds/hearts! yes !

:rolleyes:

Usually the minds change comes first as the law has to be voted through by the chaps in the house of commons.

Who are people.

With minds.
Original post by Rakas21

Ethics? But I don't really expect you to have any about this issue, so you can rest in your nice white bubble. :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by Rakas21
All of those people were extremely primitive.

Sorry I even misread, the people were 'primitive' so that's an excuse?
Reply 96
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Usually the minds change comes first as the law has to be voted through by the chaps in the house of commons.

Who are people.

With minds.

You are actually hilarious.

So do you believe racism doesn't exist because laws have been passed?

Genuine question.
Original post by SP0TIFY
To make such a bold statement without any backing really does take away from some valid points that you may have made. In actual fact, a lot of people who claim to be 'OG hip hop fans' despise the fact that so many consider Eminem to be the best, purely because he is white. Read up on his background and how it hindered his rise to fame.

Ebro from Hot97 raised this point, which I agree with.
I know how it hindered his breakthrough in the industry :\
Nice bogus example. It's unlikely that an Eskimo would live in Austria because Greenland wasn't an Austrian colony. However would you deny black people and other minorities like East and South Asians haven't participated in construction of Britain through the pillage of their countries and their slavery?
Again, white people in China are a negligable minority?
Speaking about racial issues in which I am at disadvantage is legitimate and I don't think people should be perceived negatively if they do. Maybe these people you talk about should realise that having a different opinion than them on these issues doesn't make others outsiders?

Britain as we know it is mainly the result of the actions of white British people, that is undeniable.

And people talk about white privilege in all kinds of context. Regardless of whether the minority group had any historical connection to the country at all.

They talk about white privilege in countries with no history of imperialism too Switzerland and Finland too, dont worry about that. People like you start off with your conclusion and then work backwards to justify this tripe.
I feel already been followed in a shop by a white person repeatedly asked me "Are you adopted???"
Maybe the "intensity" of the points have decreased with time, but they're still real.

I'm not excusing it, that sounds like a horrible experience. Has it happened more than once? The point in the OP did say "I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed".

The 2011 UK census had over 87% of the population identifying themselves as white, less than 7% as Asian or Asian British, and less than 6% as Black, Black British or British mixed. So again I'll say that demographics account for things you're claiming as white privilege.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending