The Student Room Group

A-level reforms. No more AS-levels. What do you think?

i honestly don't know what to think. I'm in year 10 and planning to take maths., further maths and economics for a-level, I was planning to take maths in the first year of AS and then take further maths in the second, but these reforms mean i might have to take maths and further maths at the same time. I don't like these changes, neither do i know how they work. Does anyone know when the maths and further maths subjects will undergo the changes. Anyway what do you guys think of these reforms???
It means that if I fail this year, I'm going to have to spend much longer to get my A-levels.
there is still AS-Level and A-Level, they made it possible to learn just like the traditional way they just made AS-Levels and A-Level seperate so if you drop-out in AS you get it.
Reply 3
Original post by ckfeister
there is still AS-Level and A-Level, they made it possible to learn just like the traditional way they just made AS-Levels and A-Level seperate so if you drop-out in AS you get it.

does the reform mean you can't take maths for the first year and further maths for the second year?
Original post by shwansalah
does the reform mean you can't take maths for the first year and further maths for the second year?

Well if you used logical sense you would do AS-Level Maths and Further Maths then A-Level Maths and Further Maths, you can't (not even now) do Maths on 1st year then further the next, you must do both together thats why there maths and further maths to combine together to get upto degree level of maths before even going to university.
Reply 5
Well if you used logical sense you would do AS-Level Maths and Further Maths then A-Level Maths and Further Maths, you can't (not even now) do Maths on 1st year then further the next, you must do both together thats why there maths and further maths to combine together to get upto degree level of maths before even going to university.

huh, some people take maths in the first year and then further maths in the second which count as 2 separate grades though? Sorry if i'm sounding like an idiot, i'm in year 10 and trying to understand the system
The maths syllabus is unaffected by the changes until the students who start their 2 year course in 2017 (first full A level exams in 2019)
I wish I was doing the new ones
Reply 8
Original post by Ritterschaft
I wish I was doing the new ones

Why?!
Reply 9
I kinda prefer it because I do better with linear exams..no idea why.
You can still do AS exams but its a standalone qualification
Original post by Cherx
Why?!

AS is a B******* from Labour, your understanding of thrw subject develops over time, it's also too much and unnecessary
Reply 11
Original post by gdunne42
The maths syllabus is unaffected by the changes until the students who start their 2 year course in 2017 (first full A level exams in 2019)

Ah 2017? I'll be starting a-level 2016, so the changes won't affect me
Reply 12
Just to clarify you still DO AS even with the reforms right?

Yes you can take A-level maths in the first year and A-level further maths in the second year. Some schools/colleges take this approach.
If you're trying to imply that A-level further maths is degree level maths, that's completely incorrect. The most common module choice just covers "school" level maths. A-level additional further maths starts to cover some undergraduate material, but in none of the rigour of degree maths and it doesn't go into detail. The questions in the papers are still A-level; they still guide you through each step of the method and make it clear what you are supposed to do.
I'm not sure :\

Luckily, French doesn't change for a while and you can still do an AS in it, and call it an AS level. I would prefer the old system though, so you would have the chance to get some of the A level out of the way

Quick Reply

Latest